Metal sound on keyboard - ping noise?

ringo

On my keyboard with gateron red one letter got some metal resonance sound when typing. Is it possible that this sound will go away? Does that comes under warranty? 

It sound something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ_L3WnAnQk

from 12 seconds.

Would it be stupid to buy 1 o ring just for one key? That would help? On aliexpress/ebay I can find only o rings for chery mx but I have gateron switches. Will they fit without problems?

o-ring wouldn't help. If it sounds like the video you linked, it's possible the spring is the wrong size and isn't just pushing the key back up into place, it's too tight so it's literally springing back with more force than necessary.

See if you're able to buy a single replacement switch and swap it out with the problematic one. Looks like they just pop out similar to cherry's

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

o-ring wouldn't help. If it sounds like the video you linked, it's possible the spring is the wrong size and isn't just pushing the key back up into place, it's too tight so it's literally springing back with more force than necessary.

See if you're able to buy a single replacement switch and swap it out with the problematic one. Looks like they just pop out similar to cherry's

It is Steelseries apex 7 keyboard under warranty, not hot swap keyboard. So sound won' t go away, can't RMA it, I must live with that?

10 minutes ago, ringo said:

It is Steelseries apex 7 keyboard under warranty, not hot swap keyboard. So sound won' t go away, can't RMA it, I must live with that?

You could desolder a key you don't use (Scroll Lock for example) and replace the R switch with that one..

Otherwise it's probably an issue you'll just have to deal with, I'm afraid.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

46 minutes ago, ringo said:

can't RMA it

Why not? It's a defect

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Why not? It's a defect

I sent a mail to Steelseries but as far as I read some threads about that problems everybody say that is not for RMA, tha I will hava to live with it??

@minibois

I won't solder anything, it is a month old keyboard, I never done anything like that. I sent a mail to Steelseries support to see they advice

image.gif

Your springs are pinging and resonating with the metal plate. Pretty much all keyboards will do this to some degree. You can fix it. Lube the springs and install felt or foam sheet sound dampening under the PCB. See the guide in my sig.

Thanks all for advice. Steelseries support told me that this is not normal keyboard behaviour and that I can send it to RMA. Right now I need keyboard for work but I will send it in near future directly where I bought it, on Amazon.

• 10 months later...

I know it’s been a while, but did you return the Apex 7 ?

I ask because I’ve just returned an Apex Pro because of this issue, and am curious if you got a new Apex 7 or went for something else that doesn’t exhibit as much ‘ping’.