Intel graphics?

Stin6667
Go to solution Solved by Firewrath9,
26 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

To be honest. I don't know what is FPGA. I have heard it a few times. Thanks for the clarification.

its a form of an ASIC, an application specific integrated circuit.

CPU's are very broad, which is why they're not as powerful as a GPU (i.e. in tflops), but they can do all sorts of cool stuff unlike GPU's, thats why GPUs are better at mining, but you can't use a GPU to load an excel spreadsheet. An ASIC is even more specialized, which is why they can mine bitcoin even faster than gpus, but they're useless for things other than that. They often have lots of flops.

So I was on youtube and I see this ad pop up.

It has 'Intel' with HBM2.

To me it looks like it is a graphics card for the data center from intel.

Look at the link:

https://www.bittware.com/fpga/520n-mx/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2pmftf2H5QIVV3iLCh33CA0PEAEYASAAEgIeSPD_BwE

Is this that they are planning for next year?

I was really shocked to see this.

Features

• Intel Stratix 10 MX2100
  • 16GB HBM2 up to 512 GB/s
  • BittWare-optimized OpenCL BSP

Overview

Designed for compute acceleration, the 520N-MX is a PCIe board featuring Intel’s Stratix 10 MX2100 FPGA with integrated HBM2 memory. The size and speed of HBM2 (16GB at up to 512GB/s) enables acceleration of memory-bound applications. The board’s 100G QSFP28s are ideal for clustering, and OCuLink connectors allow expansion.

Looking for a high-density server?

The 520 series is available in the new 1U TeraBox 1400B server. The 1400B brings incredible density for compute or network applications with four boards per rack unit. Compare to our TeraBox 4000 series with up to 10 boards in a 4U server (2.5 boards per rack unit), this 1400B offers significantly higher density.

Read more >>

520N-series-1400B-highlight.svg

Stratix 10 FPGA Board with 16GB HBM2

Powerful solution for accelerating memory-bound applications

Designed for compute acceleration, the 520N-MX is a PCIe board featuring Intel’s Stratix 10 MX2100 FPGA with integrated HBM2 memory. The size and speed of HBM2 (16GB at up to 512GB/s) enables acceleration of memory-bound applications. The board’s 100G QSFP28s are ideal for clustering, and OCuLink connectors allow expansion.

Both traditional HDL and higher abstraction C, C++ and OpenCL-based tool flows are supported. Deliverables include an optimized board support package (BSP) for the Intel OpenCL SDK. The 520N-MX features a Board Management Controller (BMC) for advanced system monitoring and control, which greatly simplifies platform integration and management.

Tool Flow Flexibility for Software- or Hardware-Based Development

Intel FPGA OpenCL Software Development Kit (SDK)

• OpenCL support for software-orientated customers
  • Abstration for faster development
  • Push-button flow for FPGA executable, driver, and API
  • Add optimized HDL IP cores to OpenCL designs as libraries

Hardware Description Language (HDL)

• Traditional VHDL/Verilog support for hardware-orientated customers
  • Hand-code for ultimate performance
  • High-Level Synthesis (HLS) available for rapid development
  • FPGA card designed to support standard Intel IP cores for Stratix 10

OK BTW YOU DO KNOW WHAT A FPGA IS RIGHT? ITS A ASIC. IIRC THE MX2100 HAS A WHOPPING 4 ARM A53 CORES!

THATS THE SAME STUFF THEY PUT IN THE EXTREMELY POWERFUL RASPBERRY PI 3, NOT 3 B. THE RASPBERRY PI 3.

THAT'S NO GPU.

sorry for all caps

Please stop shouting, the baby just went to sleep.

Now what is all this ruckus about? I have no idea, but would guess this is about their new GPU's? Exciting, woo! But I am not hyped until I see some benchmarks.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Please stop shouting, the baby just went to sleep.

Now what is all this ruckus about? I have no idea, but would guess this is about their new GPU's? Exciting, woo! But I am not hyped until I see some benchmarks.

there are no new gpus, its just an old fpga from intel.

3 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Hey, don’t do that.

sorry, just wanted OP to know that making things massive is a pain in the ass. I'll change it now.

It's not a GPU, it's an FPGA card you can use to develop specific hardware acceleration for whatever your entrerprisey computation needs are. 

It's a card that does nothing... until you program it for a particular purpose, which can be changed on the fly too.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Intel bought the company making these a few years ago. It's not particularly exciting.

7 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

OK BTW YOU DO KNOW WHAT A FPGA IS RIGHT? ITS A ASIC. IIRC THE MX2100 HAS A WHOPPING 4 ARM A53 CORES!

THATS THE SAME STUFF THEY PUT IN THE EXTREMELY POWERFUL RASPBERRY PI 3, NOT 3 B. THE RASPBERRY PI 3.

THAT'S NO GPU.

sorry for all caps

To be honest. I don't know what is FPGA. I have heard it a few times. Thanks for the clarification.

26 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

its a form of an ASIC, an application specific integrated circuit.

CPU's are very broad, which is why they're not as powerful as a GPU (i.e. in tflops), but they can do all sorts of cool stuff unlike GPU's, thats why GPUs are better at mining, but you can't use a GPU to load an excel spreadsheet. An ASIC is even more specialized, which is why they can mine bitcoin even faster than gpus, but they're useless for things other than that. They often have lots of flops.

It's the opposite of an ASIC.

See it as big box of lego bricks, that can be assembled into either a car, a castle or whatever.

Hundreds of thousands/millions of basic digital logic elements in the middle of a monstrous interconnect matrix. All elements are isolated by default, but each of their inputs/outputs can be connected to one or more of the many interconnect lanes with a dynamic "switch". So you can build any kind of actual logic circuitry into the same chip using software.

An FPGA is rather large, power hungry, slow and expensive chip, but it's extremely generic and can be turned into anything you want.

An ASIC is the opposite, it's.. an Application Specific IC, aka it does only one thing but is super optimised to do it as efficiently as possible, and for much cheaper if there's a large volume.

Pretty much any ASIC design is prototyped on an FPGA, because on there you can try stuff/debug/find faults/recompile/reprogram the FPGA however many times you need until your design works correctly, before committing to starting tooling for an ASIC which costs millions and is all lost if you made a mistake.

So an FPGA is great for prototyping, for when your task changes frequently, or when you couldn't sell enough of an ASIC to absorb the massive initial tooling cost.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2