PC wont wake from sleep.

petex8989
Go to solution Solved by petex8989,

So I think I finally know what the issue is. I went into the advanced system settings from the system tab in the control panel, went to the startup and recovery settings, and unchecked automatically restart in case of system failure. When I did this, my computer no longer has issues waking up from sleep. Something I noticed though was that the NZXT CAM software seems to shut its self down sometimes when I restart, and it appears CAM has caused issues similar to mine to other users, so it appears that CAM was what caused the issue to begin with.

This has been happening frequently lately, where when I try to wake my PC, all the lights inside the pc, as well as the fans start up, and my monitor will turn on, but then the monitor says it is not connected. My keyboard and mouse lights stay off through out the entire process. The only way I can fix this issue is by hard rebooting the system. This issue occurs about half of the time, but it is very frustrating, and hard rebooting each time can't be good for the components.

Specs:

i7 8700k (OC to 5GHZ)

ASUS Z370-E Motherboard

EVGA 2080 XC Black Edition Gaming

4x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Ram 3000MHZ C15

EVGA SuperNova 750W G3

Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (Boot Drive)

Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

10 minutes ago, petex8989 said:

This has been happening frequently lately, where when I try to wake my PC, all the lights inside the pc, as well as the fans start up, and my monitor will turn on, but then the monitor says it is not connected. My keyboard and mouse lights stay off through out the entire process. The only way I can fix this issue is by hard rebooting the system. This issue occurs about half of the time, but it is very frustrating, and hard rebooting each time can't be good for the components.

Specs:

i7 8700k (OC to 5GHZ)

ASUS Z370-E Motherboard

EVGA 2080 XC Black Edition Gaming

4x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Ram 3000MHZ C15

EVGA SuperNova 750W G3

Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (Boot Drive)

Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Hello there. Check manual 3-16 https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_Z370-E_GAMING/E13238_ROG_STRIX_Z370-E_GAMING_UM_WEB_082417.pdf?_ga=2.231893467.576560543.1568801359-1865380284.1557218811

You have to enable C-states. if auto it will be disabled when OC'ing. :)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Have you tried setting PCIE power management off, my best guess is something is failing to tell the GPU to get going after sleep.

image.png.042087c1145c058ecf7e1aba5e03bcf8.png

22 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Thanks, I'll try this out and get back to you.

2 hours ago, petex8989 said:

Thanks, I'll try this out and get back to you.

Changing the bios setting doesnt seem to have solved the issue, as it still wont wake sometimes. The issue occurs very randomly and cannot be purposfuly reproduced, but happens as a result of normal use. Some more info on whats going on. When this happens, I recently found out that by just pressing the power button once, and waiting a while, the system will reboot itself. It doesnt seem to be an issue with display either since my gpu fans dont start spinning, which is the default setting, but not what I set in the fan curve, meaning the EVGA software is not running when this happens.

I think I may have found the issue. I accidentally hit the eco mode on my power supply, and turning that off seems to have fixed the issue. Ill have to wait and see if it starts reoccurring though as there is no way to recreate the issue.

4 hours ago, petex8989 said:

I think I may have found the issue. I accidentally hit the eco mode on my power supply, and turning that off seems to have fixed the issue. Ill have to wait and see if it starts reoccurring though as there is no way to recreate the issue.

Hmm sounds odd that this should have an effect, because it only change the mode of the PSU fan. When c-states is enabled in bios. Don't another menu appear where you can change which states are on and off? On my board I can choose intel default. You could try to enable ErP. Go to advanced menu - > APM configuration - enable s4+s5 - see manual page 3-20 : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/E14809_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.116331846.1914762617.1568970191-1865380284.1557218811 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

12 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Hmm sounds odd that this should have an effect, because it only change the mode of the PSU fan. When c-states is enabled in bios. Don't another menu appear where you can change which states are on and off? On my board I can choose intel default. You could try to enable ErP. Go to advanced menu - > APM configuration - enable s4+s5 - see manual page 3-20 : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/E14809_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.116331846.1914762617.1568970191-1865380284.1557218811 

Yeah it was good for a day or two but the issue has since reoccured. Ill try enabling s4+s5

20 hours ago, petex8989 said:

Yeah it was good for a day or two but the issue has since reoccured. Ill try enabling s4+s5

The issue is still occurring. Is there possibly some software on my computer thats doing this, or perhaps is some hardware on my desktop thats faulty? In the year since I built this PC, ive had very many issues with it, and each time it has been a hardware defect, had to rma my ram, and my power supply so far. I am also unable to remote connect to it from another computer, which I should be able to do from the lock screen. If I leave it for a minute or so, the computer will automatically reboot itsself.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:23 AM, DoctorNick said:

i think ive found the issue. I designed my desk setup around being able to switch between my PC and my macbook fast, so I have a usb switch in order to switch every peripheral between deivces. I recently got the massdrop ctrl keyboard, and the power from the usb switch was not enough to power all the LED's on the keyboard, so I got a powered usb hub. Something weird that ive noticed though, was that when the usb switch is not plugged into any device, if i click a button on my keyboard, my mouse lights up. It causes an unstable flickering on my mouse's lights, so it seems that when I press a button on my keyboard, the usb hub sends back a surge of power. After unplugging the power cord from the usb hub, and putting the computer to sleep many times, I have not encountered the issue. Is there some sort of device that can stop the power surge going to my pc?

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I finally know what the issue is. I went into the advanced system settings from the system tab in the control panel, went to the startup and recovery settings, and unchecked automatically restart in case of system failure. When I did this, my computer no longer has issues waking up from sleep. Something I noticed though was that the NZXT CAM software seems to shut its self down sometimes when I restart, and it appears CAM has caused issues similar to mine to other users, so it appears that CAM was what caused the issue to begin with.