Linus should review the best of modems

Dinos83

Buying a modem is a big pain in the ass. I am on a search for a good modem that has gigabyte or higher capability with cable connection. I have run into the same issue year after year after year + speed upgrade after speed upgrade. I think you get the idea. Netgear always seems to fail me right when a new standard comes out and it forces me to buy a new modem. I need to find a modem with a good warranty and something that should last I am okay with buying the top of the line right now as long as it can survive more than 3 years. I don't want to rent my modem from Cox Cable because they have too many filters on their modems that gives my data to them. Wow is unavailable service now in my area but they do the same thing. I like to run a custom DNS usually running a VPN and I typically adapt to other security measures with my internet connection. I like to have the fastest speed possible for games. it is good to have hardware which will help avoid DDOS attacks. I eventually want to set up my home network as a hub for website hosting for my own website. Could linus do a video on that as well. 

Depends if you actually mean a modem or if you mean routers. Modems on their own are pretty dumb devices, they don't really do a whole lot. At least, shouldn't have an impact on DNS settings

Going to assume you mean gigabit here, as gigabyte modem/routers really aren't a thing on the consumer level. 

Ba dung ba dung krrrrrrkkkkkkkkk.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 minutes ago, Dinos83 said:

Buying a modem is a big pain in the ass. I am on a search for a good modem that has gigabyte or higher capability with cable connection. I have run into the same issue year after year after year + speed upgrade after speed upgrade. I think you get the idea. Netgear always seems to fail me right when a new standard comes out and it forces me to buy a new modem. I need to find a modem with a good warranty and something that should last I am okay with buying the top of the line right now as long as it can survive more than 3 years. I don't want to rent my modem from Cox Cable because they have too many filters on their modems that gives my data to them. Wow is unavailable service now in my area but they do the same thing. I like to run a custom DNS usually running a VPN and I typically adapt to other security measures with my internet connection. I like to have the fastest speed possible for games. it is good to have hardware which will help avoid DDOS attacks. I eventually want to set up my home network as a hub for website hosting for my own website. Could linus do a video on that as well. 

What you need is a separate modem and router. Gateways over heat, which is why they suck. My Motorola Surfboard 6141 has been killing it for 5 years. Ill change it out when Comcast decides to drop support for 8x4 modems or it dies. You also want separate devices for when new WiFi standards come out. While new modem standards come out as well, they tend to take quite a while before they are implemented. Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 can live on the same network. So if you dont need Gigabit a 3.0 modem is good, if you need gigabit or want to have the capability then you buy the 3.1 modem. 

If you want Gigabit there are limited options from what I have seen. I mean most of the big guys, Arris, Motorola, Netgear and such have modems. Just not too many models. Keep in mind many consumer grate routers cant handle gigabit connections. They cant do Gigabit NAT. SO.... you really have to dig thru and look at spec sheets and such. Smallnetbuilder.com is a good resource for this, they do the testing and such. 

One other thing. ALWAYS check with you ISP for compatibility. Im not familiar with Cox, but Comcast has a pretty nice sized list of retail modems that not only are supported, but they have tested and do provide software updates for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Dinos83 said:

Buying a modem is a big pain in the ass. I am on a search for a good modem that has gigabyte or higher capability with cable connection. 

I hear this to be true, but wouldn't know because in Canada we are provided rental modems free of charge. (at least with the larger ISPs...) Due to this, not really sure how Linus would be able to provide a real-world review without someone sponsoring him moving to the USA for say 3-6 months...

it is good to have hardware which will help avoid DDOS attacks.

Absolutely, but for that you will need a lost more than a consumer grade modem, or even a pfSense custom made router, depending on the amount of DDoS traffic you might have to stop. Think enterprise level networking switches or BGP routers.

I eventually want to set up my home network as a hub for website hosting for my own website. Could linus do a video on that as well. 

Again, he could, but running a website for anything other than personal/testing purposes is against almost all residential plans offered by ISPs. I'm not saying you can't do it of course, but if an ISP so chooses they can terminate your connection for this.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

19 minutes ago, Dinos83 said:

Buying a modem is a big pain in the ass. I

It really isnt. You figure out what speed tier you want and get a modem that supports that or greater. As long as the ISP supports the modem/standard your good. 

Personally Id look at:

Docsis 3.0 (16x4, 24x8)

Docsis 3.1 (Any) 

All you should have to do is call the ISP with the Mac Address and maybe a SN. Comcast made it easy by allowing you do provision via their walled garden. All it takes is login in with a Primary Account holders account and boom its provisioned. The only thing you need to make sure if the modem is not used (eBay is bad for people selling ISP equipment) and its supported by the ISP. The only time this process is hard is if you have phone service. But even then there are ways around that. 

Another thing to consider is that some ISP’s have an approved modem list, and won’t support anything outside of that list (in some cases, won’t even provision your modem - in other cases, they will just simply refuse to provide literally any support should there be an issue). 

Even if they do allow you to use a modem outside their approved list, I would highly

recommend choosing one from the list anyway. 

It means they've tested the modem in house, and will have experience supporting it. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends if you actually mean a modem or if you mean routers. Modems on their own are pretty dumb devices, they don't really do a whole lot. At least, shouldn't have an impact on DNS settings

Going to assume you mean gigabit here, as gigabyte modem/routers really aren't a thing on the consumer level. 

I meant modem. I work second shift and wrote the post at 3 am. I also meant gigabit but auto correct got me.  Cox cable has their modem programed to connect to their DNS and the router never knows of the change.. I did by doing a dns look up. But since i left my cox cable modem with cox and switched to netgear it seems like it always gives me a problem. Its docis 3.1  the cm 1000 model number and its currently out of warranty. I need a modem that will last longer than it and work properly. 

On 9/13/2019 at 10:21 PM, kirashi said:

I hear this to be true, but wouldn't know because in Canada we are provided rental modems free of charge. (at least with the larger ISPs...) Due to this, not really sure how Linus would be able to provide a real-world review without someone sponsoring him moving to the USA for say 3-6 months...

Absolutely, but for that you will need a lost more than a consumer grade modem, or even a pfSense custom made router, depending on the amount of DDoS traffic you might have to stop. Think enterprise level networking switches or BGP routers.

Again, he could, but running a website for anything other than personal/testing purposes is against almost all residential plans offered by ISPs. I'm not saying you can't do it of course, but if an ISP so chooses they can terminate your connection for this.

So wheres the video of how to setup my home web hosting.. 

5 hours ago, Dinos83 said:

netgear it seems like it always gives me a problem. Its docis 3.1  the cm 1000 model number and its currently out of warranty. I need a modem that will last longer than it and work properly. 

Is the modem on their supported device list? You might have issues because its not properly supported. Or you just got a dud, it happens. There are a few companies that make Docsis 3.1 modems. 

5 hours ago, Dinos83 said:

So wheres the video of how to setup my home web hosting..

There might not be one. Because running Websites off your home internet is not recommended. Firstly COX wouldnt like it, and they have the power to discontinue your service. On top of the fact, you have very low upload rates. Not sure about COX but Comcast can only supply 45 Mbps on their Gigabit tier and WOW can only do 50 Mbps on theirs. COX is no different. Are you going to be the only one accessing this site?

6 hours ago, Dinos83 said:

I meant modem. I work second shift and wrote the post at 3 am. I also meant gigabit but auto correct got me.  Cox cable has their modem programed to connect to their DNS and the router never knows of the change.. I did by doing a dns look up. But since i left my cox cable modem with cox and switched to netgear it seems like it always gives me a problem. Its docis 3.1  the cm 1000 model number and its currently out of warranty. I need a modem that will last longer than it and work properly. 

That's strange as a modem shouldn't know about DNS, its merely meant to act as a bridge to pass traffic between your ISP and your router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's strange as a modem shouldn't know about DNS, its merely meant to act as a bridge to pass traffic between your ISP and your router.

He probably meant gateway. As most US providers only provide gateways.

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

He probably meant gateway. As most US providers only provide gateways.

Yeah it just threw me as they also specifically said "I meant modem" right at the start of the paragraph.  So it seemed odd to then make that mistake in terminology immediately afterwards.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah it just threw me as they also specifically said "I meant modem" right at the start of the paragraph.  So it seemed odd to then make that mistake in terminology immediately afterwards.

Most people don’t know the difference between a modem, router or gateway. That’s the issue.