Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melodist

Is Skylake-X a joke under 10 cores?

Posted · Original PosterOP

While I was figuring out how to put a 9900k build together because I found someone who'd buy my existing system, enabling me to buy the new one all things covered, I was tinkering with the idea of going with the 9800x and X299 due to PCI-E lanes for audio production and was flabbergasted when I saw this:

1608178347_4_5GHz.jpg.99831498ce3ba5f1c583ca77438401e5.jpg

4.5 GHz and a multiscore of about 2000 points.

My 6900 at 4.1 GHz, 1.2 Volts and a TDP of 160 Watts reaches 1727 points.

The worse part is probably that my CPU performs a lot better in Games than the X299 and in audio applications. What the hell?

I guess the only feasible upgrade for me would be still then the 9900k and I would have to bite the 4 lanes bottleneck.

Well the 9900K you are looking at was using something like 250W so... Nothing new. 

Intel HEDT has kind of just been a disaster for the last few years. 

A 9900k would be a good choice if you need decent performance but you would be missing out on some pcie lanes, more like a LOT of pcie lanes compared to x299, but it's definitely still a better choice than the 9800x.

I would also suggest looking into the Ryzen 9 3900x.

12 cores, 24 pcie 4.0 lanes, overall better performance than the 9900k anyway.

IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Every one knows Intel is out of touch, but they will eventually go the way AMD is... HEDT will become niche again and most people will stick to mainstream high end.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Crucial Ballistix |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Posted · Original PosterOP
54 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Every one knows Intel is out of touch, but they will eventually go the way AMD is... HEDT will become niche again and most people will stick to mainstream high end.

Yeah but what bugs me though is there is no Thunderbolt 3 for AMD.