2019 Best Back to School Laptop

JonoT

One day after I bought one for uni ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Why don't you review the Huawei Matebook X Pro?

Waiting for your review man.

Did you guys really try the razer blade 15 ? Or like only those bench mark thingys ?

Was looking at the surface 2 for some coding and word processing at uni but was stuck between the i5 or the i7 model. Any recommendations?

21 minutes ago, JonoT said:

help i need a good laptop for cad adobe etc and want to game a litle bit. i dont know what laptop i should get my budget is 1200€

5 minutes ago, Miracle Nachos said:

Maybe check the case isn't busted open before filming B-Roll.

Screenshot_2019-08-22 2019 Best Back to School Laptops - YouTube.png

Sure screams quality :D

Not surprised from an Aspire tbh - most of the laptops in that family have been either bad or terrible.

The Acer Helios 300 is a pretty good choice at 1.2k.

44 minutes ago, MikevanHam22 said:

help i need a good laptop for cad adobe etc and want to game a litle bit. i dont know what laptop i should get my budget is 1200€

Start your own thread in the laptop section.

@GeneXiS_X is of great help in the laptop department. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

The Best laptop to Grind through school: Thinkpad T420, cheap, very up gradable Very good Keyboard

So glad to see the used Lenovo brought up, I've been recommending people do this for years as they're just hard to beat for the money.

One bone of contention.

You can get the T540 with a higher res displays, you'll pay a bit more, but you can get them. Just beware if you're thinking of upgrading a low res display to to higher res, do your homework before you start. It used to be just an lcd swap, but some models require a new upper frame and hinges, and some need a frame, hinges and a new lcd cable. It's not difficult, just something to be aware of. The screens are easy, finding someone selling the conversion parts is not, my advice is make sure you can get the other parts before you buy a screen.

Last note:

Stay well clear of the Yoga line, while they look and function well, the hinges are glued to the screen cover rather than screwed and when the glue fails (and it will) it destroys the screen. It's not an easy or fun fix and certainly not cheap, that's if you can find the parts, with so many of them failing just getting the parts to do it is difficult. Many shops will simply refuse to repair it and those who will are going to charge you as much as the laptop is worth. This may not be true for the latest ones (find out first), but the older ones all have this issue,

Why does LTT not review/even mention the Huawei series? Is it because of the mess with US government?

Their Matebook X Pro and the Matebook 13 are some of the laptops you really need to look into!

2 hours ago, JonoT said:

At 2:00.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNYr5sLZiY&t=120

It's an OLD i5 and it get absolutely WHUPPED by a modern one."

Yeah............at the same price range ($220-$350) you can get much better and lighter options with equal performance:

Those options are powered by the Pentium N5000 and Core m3 6y30/7y30, which shows how far budget laptop CPU performance has improved since 2014/2015 ^_^

3 minutes ago, Leslieann said:

Last note:

Stay well clear of the Yoga line, while they look and function well, the hinges are glued to the screen cover rather than screwed and when the glue fails (and it will) it destroys the screen. It's not an easy or fun fix and certainly not cheap, that's if you can find the parts, with so many of them failing just getting the parts to do it is difficult. Many shops will simply refuse to repair it and those who will are going to charge you as much as the laptop is worth. This may not be true for the latest ones (find out first), but the older ones all have this issue,

I can confirm, Friend's yoga is Flashier than anything you'll see

-Next-

How good was the battery for the nitro 5, because if the reviews for the Galaxy Book S is any good I may go for that just so I can have a battery that is actually long

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, Connunist said:

Was looking at the surface 2 for some coding and word processing at uni but was stuck between the i5 or the i7 model. Any recommendations?

The i5 would likely be fine, but don't the keyboards on surfaces suck?  I'd go for a thinkpad for coding and note taking, unless of course you need the touch and tablet stuff.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 hour ago, FezBoy said:

The i5 would likely be fine, but don't the keyboards on surfaces suck?  I'd go for a thinkpad for coding and note taking, unless of course you need the touch and tablet stuff.

I'm happy with the surface keyboard. It's not great by any means, but better than passable.

Is this guide for Canada or the US? Because as far as the US goes you can get a 1050 in a laptop for as little as $600 USD  (the Asus Vivobook K570ZD) now while I would not recommend that laptop it is a far cry from an MX250 or MX150, you can also get a fairly well balanced 1650 laptop (the MSI GF63) for as little as $670 USD, at $700 you may as well grab this ASUS FX504 with a 1060. Also I would recommend the TUF FX505DU over the Zephyrus GA502GU, as the FX505DU is significantly more rugged and by extension backpack friendly, it has the Max P (80 Watts) version of the GTX 1660 ti rather than the Max Q (60 watts), it comes with twice the RAM, and is notably cheaper.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

5 hours ago, JonoT said:

Does everyone agree on their recommendation of the Acer Aspire 5 for the best budget pick? What are some alternatives to look at? 

1 minute ago, Anyth1nbutCommon said:

Does everyone agree on their recommendation of the Acer Aspire 5 for the best budget pick? What are some alternatives to look at? 

If you live in the US there are some other laptops I would recommend taking a look at first.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

3 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

If you live in the US there are some other laptops I would recommend taking a look at first.

I do live in the US. I only need it for web browsing and word processing. That's it.

Just now, Anyth1nbutCommon said:

I do live in the US. I only need it for web browsing and word processing. That's it.

No GPU for gaming? Hmm... well then, to start I need to know, which would you rather prefer. A laptop with the fastest CPU available for the price, a lower price class that can probably satisfy your needs, or a thin and light with excellent build quality and battery life, but with compromised performance?

No GPU for gaming? Hmm... well then, to start I need to know, which would you rather prefer. A laptop with the fastest CPU available for the price, a lower price class that can probably satisfy your needs, or a thin and light with excellent build quality and battery life, but with compromised performance?

No gaming. Budget is most important. The max I'd be willing to spend would be $300. The cheaper the better.

To answer your question I would much rather get a slower cpu for something with better build quality.

Just now, Anyth1nbutCommon said:

No gaming. Budget is most important. The max I'd be willing to spend would be $300. The cheaper the better.

To answer your question I would much rather get a slower cpu for something with better build quality.

Would you prefer Windows or Chrome?

Would you prefer Windows or Chrome?

I'd be willing to use either. I was looking at chromebooks originally but this video said the type of memory they use is a lot slower than a typical ssd. I'm not an expert so I wouldn't know how much slower.

2 minutes ago, Anyth1nbutCommon said:

I'd be willing to use either. I was looking at chromebooks originally but this video said the type of memory they use is a lot slower than a typical ssd. I'm not an expert so I wouldn't know how much slower.

Chrome is such a light OS it doesn't really matter in most cases.