Should I bother upgrading my CPU for a while?

KageSong

I am currently running a Ryzen 5 2600 with a GTX 1660 (that was a mistake). I know I definitely need to upgrade my graphics card for the 1440p @ 144hz I'm after. I'm trying to decide though, if I should shoot for a Ryzen 3 series, or maybe for budget, a 2700x. Anyone have advice for me?

Definitely use your money to upgrade that GPU. Maybe to like an RTX 2060S? Just depends how much you're willing to spend for the both of them. The 2600 is a strong CPU capable of handling 1440p.

If you want high refresh rate you gonna need a Zen 2 processor, Zen+ all have about the same capacity on this regard and you'll hardly win extra fps going to 2700X, the processor gives you performance elsewhere.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The 2600 is more than enough for 144HZ at 1440p. Get a better card like a 5700 XT or 2070 super

12 minutes ago, KageSong said:

I am currently running a Ryzen 5 2600 with a GTX 1660 (that was a mistake). I know I definitely need to upgrade my graphics card for the 1440p @ 144hz I'm after. I'm trying to decide though, if I should shoot for a Ryzen 3 series, or maybe for budget, a 2700x. Anyone have advice for me?

If the CPU is still capable of what you're trying to do (it is), there's no particular need to upgrade. If 1440p @144Hz is your goal, you're going to need to ditch that 1660 in favor of something like a 5700 XT long before you touch the CPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

22 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If the CPU is still capable of what you're trying to do (it is), there's no particular need to upgrade. If 1440p @144Hz is your goal, you're going to need to ditch that 1660 in favor of something like a 5700 XT long before you touch the CPU.

i prefer upgrading to 5700 XT or 2060/2070 SUper

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

1 minute ago, Wolfycapt said:

i prefer upgrading to 5700 XT or 2060/2070 SUper

?

I said 5700 XT.

The 5700 and 5700 XT have completely killed the value prop of the 2060, 2060S and 2070, and imo the 2070S is a really iffy buy at this point too. Unless NVIDIA engages in some aggressive price reductions, Navi is sort of untouchable right now in the price/performance category.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

?

I said 5700 XT.

The 5700 and 5700 XT have completely killed the value prop of the 2060, 2060S and 2070, and imo the 2070S is a really iffy buy at this point too. Unless NVIDIA engages in some aggressive price reductions, Navi is sort of untouchable right now in the price/performance category.

perhaps the person want to use RT?

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

7 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

perhaps the person want to use RT?

Both of them should probably go NVIDIA, yes.

14 hours ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

Will you purely be gaming on this system? 

No. I do some content creation on an amateur level.

14 hours ago, kdawwgg1221 said:

Definitely use your money to upgrade that GPU. Maybe to like an RTX 2060S? Just depends how much you're willing to spend for the both of them. The 2600 is a strong CPU capable of handling 1440p.

I planned on getting a 2070 when I can. Would you suggest skipping the CPU upgrade then?

14 hours ago, 5x5 said:

The 2600 is more than enough for 144HZ at 1440p. Get a better card like a 5700 XT or 2070 super

14 hours ago, aisle9 said:

This is what I was probably thinking. I'll stick with Nvidia, just because I frankly like the software, and I really want some traced rays.

11 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Both of them should probably go NVIDIA, yes.

Yes.

I would also like to add to this, should I try to keep things at native 1440p right now until I get an RTX, and take the fps loss, or should I bump down to 1080p? I'm honestly new to anything over 1080@60 and never thought I'd need better. So, I'm not sure if running under my native res could mess up some quality.

the 5700XT is looking strong, especially in the custom PCB design.. would not buy a "reference"

i think that it would be my choice. 

also as a 1440p with a bit of headroom, but are you looking for 144hz then you need the fastest card you can get, the 2080ti, since 144 at 1440p thats quite a lot to ask from something simple. 

CPU wise the Zen2+ is faster than Zen one, and is a drop in, in your Motherboard, but if you are chasing 144hz then you need intel, still faster singlecore performance.

but a decent setup would be to keep your ryzen and add the 5700xt... then see if you feel that is enough for you

30 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

the 5700XT is looking strong, especially in the custom PCB design.. would not buy a "reference"

i think that it would be my choice. 

also as a 1440p with a bit of headroom, but are you looking for 144hz then you need the fastest card you can get, the 2080ti, since 144 at 1440p thats quite a lot to ask from something simple. 

CPU wise the Zen2+ is faster than Zen one, and is a drop in, in your Motherboard, but if you are chasing 144hz then you need intel, still faster singlecore performance.

but a decent setup would be to keep your ryzen and add the 5700xt... then see if you feel that is enough for you

But... it can't trace the rays...

Most seem to agree I should focus on a better GPU. Best in my possible budget is going to be the 2070. If I could afford a 2080ti, I would just buy the biggest baddest stuff on the shelf anyway. I'm not sure if I'm really ready to give up my Nvidia software suite I've gotten used to. But, it might be worth the price difference to at least get a solid 144hz at 1080.

RTX seems to already be dying, if it really has value, then even the 2080ti can´t do it at high FPS, so what is the value, some games, like assetto corsa has already dropped the implementation since there take is, WHY build in a low FPS mode into the game..

funny with the Minecraft news, we have had shaders that could do light like this in minecraft for a LONG time..

for me RTX is dying, or you have to wait for whatever is next to actually get a GPU that can run it without the biggest of issues..

therefor i still do think the 5700xt is the best alternative, i will personally not exchange my 1080ti for a 2080 or 2080ti, since for me personally the extra features have no value.