EVGA 780 Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition: In SLI!

VSG

I know there have been a ton of posts and threads about this card with a lot of the discussion being on the stock air cooler. So I figured I would create a thread to give my impressions as and when I incorporate these into my build.

Pictures

I took some pictures finally but, of course, I couldn't edit them given that my PC is still being built :P

Hope you guys like them: Album

Unboxing

I am coming from dual reference R9-290x cards (Sapphire and Asus BF4 editions as well as a Sapphire non-BF4 edition through RMA). The unboxing experience is way better on the Kingpins, I am sorry to say. I have not had the pleasure of unboxing any non-reference card from other brands but looking at videos and pictures recently, I have to say this is probably the best experience one will have this generation. The list of accessories provided is too large to specify but please take a look at the aforelinked album to know more. The one accessory I appreciated most was the ProbeIT connector to hook up a DMM to the card and read actual voltages. There has been as much as 0.2 - 0.25 mV of difference from actual voltages to what a software program displays and this huge discrepancy can kill your card if you run it so without realizing it. The backplate is also very nice, has well thought out cutouts and provides passive cooling via thermal pads.

First impressions

This card is BEAUTIFUL! The pictures do not do any justice at all. I was not a particular fan of the stock cooler when I saw images online but holding it in my hands made me appreciate it. The cooler is not see-through, it just frosted acrylic. The fans are larger (10 cm diameter each) and are more static pressure optimized than the fans on a regular classified, making them more suitable for heatsinks as on this stock cooler. Indeed, other owners have reported excellent cooling and low noise from this cooler even compared to the regular ACX cooler which itself is no slouch.

I will be getting my EK blocks tomorrow so I will open these up and install the blocks then. There will be more pictures coming up as well. Thanks for reading!

My god.... 

Oh yeah? What about 4x of these cards?

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

I don't think anyone buying them with their own money is going to get 4 unless they are binning and only end up keeping 1-2.

What 4k monitor's you going to get? :)

Diamond 5 in League :)

Lol... And here I am after switching from dual 780 ti's... I've found a MUCH better experience with AMD thus far though.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I don't think anyone buying them with their own money is going to get 4 unless they are binning and only end up keeping 1-2.

Not really. Lots of people run 4-way SLI. Lots of enthusiasts out there. I would buy 4 if I could.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

What 4k monitor's you going to get? :)

The only one I liked so far is the Dell 32" one but it is not fairly priced at the moment. If the new TN panels look good (I want to see them in person), then I may consider them but I dabble in photography and an IPS screen really is worth it. I don't need a wide Adobe RGB coverage since I don't really print photographs myself but >90% sRGB coverage and a 27-32" screen is what I want.

The only one I liked so far is the Dell 32" one but it is not fairly priced at the moment. If the new TN panels look good (I want to see them in person), then I may consider them but I dabble in photography and an IPS screen really is worth it. I don't need a wide Adobe RGB coverage since I don't really print photographs myself but >90% sRGB coverage and a 27-32" screen is what I want.

Aren't the dell one's only like 30hz?

Diamond 5 in League :)

Not really. Lots of people run 4-way SLI. Lots of enthusiasts out there. I would buy 4 if I could.

But running these particular cards in 4-way really is not practical- that's what I meant. 

Well you be running LN2? If not why the Kingpin edition? Gotta admit though, that backplate is damned sexy.

I might, I got access to LN2 and dewars but not in the near future anyway. Besides, water cooling is my 24/7 method to run a system. As far as why I chose a KPE over a regular classified:

1) Bundled backplate that saved me ~$20-30 since it is compatible with the EK blocks as well

2) Probe It connector that saved me $10

3) Guaranteed Samsung memory

4) Excellent BIOS/voltage support from skyn3t and Kinpin's team

5) Highly limited nature of the card might enable a better resale value

As far as why I picked the KPE over any other 780Ti card

1) No other Nvidia card, other than the classifieds, have overvoltage support past 1.212V even with custom BIOS

2) Ridiculous EVGA support, already experienced it first hand

3) I sold both my AMD cards for a good price, so these weren't so bad economically- especially when you consider I got 8 free games via EVGA (2 each of Assassins Creed 4, Painkiller: Hell and Damnation, Deadfall Adventures and Rise of the Triad)

Aren't the dell one's only like 30hz?

Only the 28" TN panel one is at 30 Hz, the 32 and 24 inch panels have native 60 Hz support.

I'd like to request a picture of one on top of the other, as well as both of them side-by-side.

Woo!

*snip*

Respect man, you've got your reasoning in good order. Will you be water cooling them? These cards truly are well engineered and it's nice to hear that you will be putting them to good use. The power delivery is ridiculous!

Edit: I see you will be watercooling them, thumbs up!

5) Highly limited nature of the card might enable a better resale value

This a limited edition card?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Yes, very limited.

Oh, that was unexpected.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

It has always been advertised as a limited SKU, so nothing really unexpected. They have 2 Classifieds of a single GPU at the moment, so keeping one SKU at a limited tier for basically overclockers makes sense. If you are only looking to game, then the regular classified or any other 780 Ti will work great.

Can't wait to see them installed and OC'd to the wall.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

Except, "enthusiasts" who run 4-way don't know what they're doing. It's 3-way max. 4 is a sync nightmare and not even potentially good.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.