Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snoots

PC all of a sudden stopped working

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello! 

So I have been trying to fix my pc for about 2 days now with no progress. My PC does not boot past the splash screen, then instead of going to windows it just shows a black screen (display is working because I unplugged the hdmi cable and it went “black black”) I ended up getting to windows recovery ONCE and wiped the PC. Then a restarted and still nothing.

I also tried to use the “fix startup” option and still nothing. I tried to fresh install windows and once was a able to get to the desktop screen, but got a black screen shortly after trying to install a GeForce experience and I never saw it again. I tried installing windows AGAIN and never even got to the desktop. No error codes, no help on the internet, and no post codes. I am truely lost and begging for help at this point. 

 

Specs of pc

i7-8700k

MSI rtx 2060

MSI MPG z390m gaming mobo

16gb Corsair vengeance 

corsair mp300 m.2 250gb (boot drive)

 

i will answer any questions quick if you ask questions, please come in clutch because Reddit has been useless 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snoots said:

Hello! 

So I have been trying to fix my pc for about 2 days now with no progress. My PC does not boot past the splash screen, then instead of going to windows it just shows a black screen (display is working because I unplugged the hdmi cable and it went “black black”) I ended up getting to windows recovery ONCE and wiped the PC. Then a restarted and still nothing.

I also tried to use the “fix startup” option and still nothing. I tried to fresh install windows and once was a able to get to the desktop screen, but got a black screen shortly after trying to install a GeForce experience and I never saw it again. I tried installing windows AGAIN and never even got to the desktop. No error codes, no help on the internet, and no post codes. I am truely lost and begging for help at this point. 

 

Specs of pc

i7-8700k

MSI rtx 2060

MSI MPG z390m gaming mobo

16gb Corsair vengeance 

corsair mp300 m.2 250gb (boot drive)

 

i will answer any questions quick if you ask questions, please come in clutch because Reddit has been useless 

 

 

First try:

Removing CMOS and waiting 30 seconds, put back in start up PC.  No dice?  Then can you get into bios - if yes I would remove the 2060 and enable the iGPU and see what happens.  Lastly I would replace the CMOS battery physically with a new one (you only do this after asking on LTT forums so you already did that step :) ) - based on what you have described as attempts to fix this, and my limited hardware knowledge.

 

I bet one of the more knowledgable folks will be around shortly.


Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker, Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Snoots said:

Hello! 

So I have been trying to fix my pc for about 2 days now with no progress. My PC does not boot past the splash screen, then instead of going to windows it just shows a black screen (display is working because I unplugged the hdmi cable and it went “black black”) I ended up getting to windows recovery ONCE and wiped the PC. Then a restarted and still nothing.

I also tried to use the “fix startup” option and still nothing. I tried to fresh install windows and once was a able to get to the desktop screen, but got a black screen shortly after trying to install a GeForce experience and I never saw it again. I tried installing windows AGAIN and never even got to the desktop. No error codes, no help on the internet, and no post codes. I am truely lost and begging for help at this point. 

 

Specs of pc

i7-8700k

MSI rtx 2060

MSI MPG z390m gaming mobo

16gb Corsair vengeance 

corsair mp300 m.2 250gb (boot drive)

 

i will answer any questions quick if you ask questions, please come in clutch because Reddit has been useless 

 

Your best bet is to test each part individually to isolate the point of failure.

Based on your explanation I would check the RTX 2060 or the SSD before the other components. The first thing I would try would be to create a bootable USB OS stick to try and see if the issue is caused by your SSD. If that fails I would unplug your RTX 2060, and reinstall windows once again. It seems plausible that installing the GeForce drivers (which thereby switched the driver from the generic Windows driver) may have also caused your issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, PCIsMasterRace said:

Your best bet is to test each part individually to isolate the point of failure.

Based on your explanation I would check the RTX 2060 or the SSD before the other components. The first thing I would try would be to create a bootable USB OS stick to try and see if the issue is caused by your SSD. If that fails I would unplug your RTX 2060, and reinstall windows once again. It seems plausible that installing the GeForce drivers (which thereby switched the driver from the generic Windows driver) may have also caused your issue.

I used integrated graphics and booted normally, not sure what to do here 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were able to boot using your integrated graphics then the issue most likely lies with the RTX 2060. Since your computer will automatically switch from integrated graphics to your RTX 2060 upon opening a demanding application (you can see the list of applications in the GeForce control panel) this is likely what is causing your issue.

 

If your computer continues to work using your IGPU, then RMA your RTX 2060 if it is still within warranty. Also keep in mind that many credit/debit cards offer a free extended one year warranty if the purchase was made with the card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, PCIsMasterRace said:

If you were able to boot using your integrated graphics then the issue most likely lies with the RTX 2060. Since your computer will automatically switch from integrated graphics to your RTX 2060 upon opening a demanding application (you can see the list of applications in the GeForce control panel) this is likely what is causing your issue.

 

If your computer continues to work using your IGPU, then RMA your RTX 2060 if it is still within warranty. Also keep in mind that many credit/debit cards offer a free extended one year warranty if the purchase was made with the card.

Alright, later today I plan on trying to boot with an old gtx 1050ti as well. How could a gpu prevent me from booting smoothly?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×