Corrupt pictures from file transfer

So i have a nikon D600, it works great, in it i have a 64gb SD card and it works totaly fine. One time I transfered some new photos from the SD card to my laptop, and everything was fine,  but then i transfered them from my laptop to my  external hard drive, and quite a few photos were coruppt. You could open them but one side of the picture was purple, black, white, blue or something similar. I shot everything im JPEG Could this indicate that my external hard drive is failing? i am not sure what is causing this because it just seems weird that file transfer would cause this kind of corruption. What do you think?

1 minute ago, Vidjan said:

What do you think?

Seen this before, chances are the external is failing (or the USB connection is going south on it)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It should not, except when you remove external drive without safety remove hardware. Sometimes when Windows reports that transfer is complete, is not 100% true, so you should wait a little longer until whole cache was flushed and NTFS informations updated. But maybe you have some problem with transfer, who knows. Looks almost impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

If anything was failing, Windows should have detected and reported the error during the transfer, or at the very least, shown signs of a problem, like painfully low transfer speeds, etc.  For this reason I'm leaning toward the safely remove theory too - do you always do it correctly?  If not this could be the result.  If you can, try to check the SMART data on all drives with something like CrystalDiskInfo

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had photos be damaged because an usb port that my card reader was connected to was bad. It was not damages as different colours or whatever tho, it was just that different parts of the photos was "shifted" to one or the other side.

I found it really weird because by my logic at that point, a USB port should either work or not, or switching between the two because something is loose, and then it should just have failed or given half a file that can not be opened at all. But apparently not.

It might be that the connection was cutting randomly but very fast or something so it cut out for just some bits per image that caused some pixels to be gone and therefore all pixels in photo that came after to be shifted to a side. (Imagine image file being transferred as rows at the time)

Can post one of the photos of anyone wants to.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking