GTX 1080 vs RX 5700

elfishz

Was about to decide on a used GTX 1080 but remembered about the RX 5700. Looking at UserBenchmark, they are identical. Which one should I buy?

Will be using for:

Minecraft Shaders

BF1

CSGO

BTW which one do you think is more future proof? I don't want to upgrade for the next 3-5 years afterward

Also should I spend 50-70 more on a RX 5700 XT?

3 minutes ago, elfishz said:

which one do you think is more future proof

Nobody can see the future so neither

The 1080 draws less power for relatively similar performance, if you get it for a good price it's worth it 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you have a GPU that can handle your games right now I would wait it out. Around black friday time there will likely be sales on the 5700 and 5700 xt. 

36 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Nobody can see the future so neither

The 1080 draws less power for relatively similar performance, if you get it for a good price it's worth it 

5700 pulls less power

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

3 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

5700 pulls less power

the 5700 has a 6 pin and 8 pin PCIe connector, while base models of the 1080 have only an 8 pin. In stress tests the 1080 pulls a little under 180 watts while the 5700 pulls a little over 180, although the difference is pretty small.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I would say RX 5700, especially with AIB cards being released this upcoming week(?)

Radeon Image Sharpening seems pretty good for 4K upscaling from a 0.70x ratio of native 4K.

Not sure how well Navi will age, but drivers are very mature for the 1080. There's minimal performance improvement to be seen for the 1080 since there's no longer a "teething problem" with the 1080's drivers.

1080 and 5700 are about equal judging purely by fps. Radeon Image Sharpening is rather neat though so I'd go with the 5700xt if I needed a card.

(I have a 1080)

I will go with the 5700 xt but will still wait if the new 5800 cards don't make 1080s or 5700 cards priced lower. looking at UserBenchmark, a 5700 xt gives 1080 ti (or RTX 2070S) preformance for a very cheap price, so if the prices stay the same, I'm going with a 5700 xt.

14 hours ago, Loviel said:

I would say RX 5700, especially with AIB cards being released this upcoming week(?)

Radeon Image Sharpening seems pretty good for 4K upscaling from a 0.70x ratio of native 4K.

Not sure how well Navi will age, but drivers are very mature for the 1080. There's minimal performance improvement to be seen for the 1080 since there's no longer a "teething problem" with the 1080's drivers.

If the GTX 1080 is basically at max preformance now, and the 5700 matches it already, I am going with AMD this time

I also might add that the Frostbite engine and especially Battlefield games have played best on AMD cards for years. Even in Battlefield V (an Nvidia sponsored title), AMD really does a great job. I'd be willing to bet (because I haven't seen a comparison of BF1) that the 5700 will be like 10-15% better than the 1080. This would be super nice if you were planning on playing in 4k or 1440p, because it could mean that you could max out the refreshrate of your monitor if you can't already.

I can't speak for Minecraft shaders, and CS:GO is CS:GO. It's very well optimized.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

On 8/12/2019 at 3:04 PM, toobladink said:

I also might add that the Frostbite engine and especially Battlefield games have played best on AMD cards for years. Even in Battlefield V (an Nvidia sponsored title), AMD really does a great job. I'd be willing to bet (because I haven't seen a comparison of BF1) that the 5700 will be like 10-15% better than the 1080. This would be super nice if you were planning on playing in 4k or 1440p, because it could mean that you could max out the refreshrate of your monitor if you can't already.

I can't speak for Minecraft shaders, and CS:GO is CS:GO. It's very well optimized.

Since AMD does much worse with shaders, or they don't run at all, I will wait for Nvidia to drop RTX2070S prices and then get a black Friday deal or something. I can wait a few more months with my 980.

If you have the money for the new card why not? Can’t really compare the two beyond that. 

Mused 1080’s going for 350-300 all day would get my vote unless the better, newer card is the same price or slightly more. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz