Google Hangouts and dating apps

So I got into an argument with somebody on a dating app because they wanted to chat on Google Hangouts after chatting for 10 minutes. I know how easy it is to steal somebody's contacts on Google Hangouts, in the goal to produce a ransom case. You film someone doing something on Hangouts and then threaten to send the footage to the contacts. Ransom and profit. 

However, the argument is persisting on the app. I should probably ignore the user on the other end. I just can't wrap my head around why an internet con-artist would spend so much time on me, even after I call them out. They should find another victim. Or is that person real? Unlikely, I mean my profile ain't that attractive. I don't surf, have a six-pack and foster orphan kittens. I'm just a boring dude. 

Back to the topic: Do people actually use Google Hangouts daily, and with strangers from the internet?

I'm just gonna block/report the suspicious user and move on. 

Immediately trying to move to a different platform is always a red flag. It's a classic way to try and scam someone, but I will say that the "ransoms" are based off empty threats, and the scammers usually aren't very intelligent.

Still, don't risk it unless you're trying to bait in scams.

A girl who loves to love.

48 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Immediately trying to move to a different platform is always a red flag. It's a classic way to try and scam someone, but I will say that the "ransoms" are based off empty threats, and the scammers usually aren't very intelligent.

Still, don't risk it unless you're trying to bait in scams.

Well, I wanted it to be real. That was my issue. But that person's behaviour made no sense and Google Hangouts can disappear.

No one uses google hangouts full stop lol. 

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

So I got into an argument with somebody on a dating app because they wanted to chat on Google Hangouts after chatting for 10 minutes. I know how easy it is to steal somebody's contacts on Google Hangouts, in the goal to produce a ransom case. You film someone doing something on Hangouts and then threaten to send the footage to the contacts. Ransom and profit. 

However, the argument is persisting on the app. I should probably ignore the user on the other end. I just can't wrap my head around why an internet con-artist would spend so much time on me, even after I call them out. They should find another victim. Or is that person real? Unlikely, I mean my profile ain't that attractive. I don't surf, have a six-pack and foster orphan kittens. I'm just a boring dude. 

Back to the topic: Do people actually use Google Hangouts daily, and with strangers from the internet?

yeah, hangouts is for people you know usually, not just a random chat thing like discord

Advanced issues found

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Do people actually use Google Hangouts daily, and with strangers from the internet?

Yes?

It's not a #1 but I've encountered it and not just because I work here. Whatsapp and FBM definitely trump it for usage but yeah.

10 minutes ago, Aprime said:

Yes?

It's not a #1 but I've encountered it and not just because I work here. Whatsapp and FBM definitely trump it for usage but yeah.

Thanks for the swift response. Hangouts still exists after all. I find it funny how scammers suggest that app first. It really shows you how secure Hangouts is xD 

So, yeah! Hangouts still exists. 

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Could always make a burner google account and use that to double check?

4 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Could always make a burner google account and use that to double check?

Sounds like you could have a whirl at this! 

Nothing good can come out of a dating app & Hangouts. There are scammers, scammers everywhere! 

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

Sounds like you could have a whirl at this! 

Nothing good can come out of a dating app & Hangouts. There are scammers, scammers everywhere! 

Scam the scammer back xD

It's actually common for fakes/scammers to use Hangouts. They will soon ask you to do certain things, like give some info or ask for money, after going to hangouts.