Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skeeter36

MSI GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Temps??

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys, so I have this MSI GTX 1080Ti founders edition card... its a blower style card and from my understanding not the best cooler design (even though that's not what I was told when I bought it). When I'm mid session playing pubg, apex, or fortnite the I get a warning from CAM software that my card has hit 83 Celsius and prolonged exposure can damage my card. 

My questions are:

- What should the temp limit be set at?

- What is safe operating temp?

- Should I have the fan at 100% all the time?

-Are there other cooling options that won't void a warranty?

 

Any input is appreciated, thanks fellas

Link to post
Share on other sites

83-84 are normal temps for 1080ti, nothing to worry about

 

most manufacturers will allow you to change the gpu cooler, but i don't know MSI's policies

Link to post
Share on other sites

The founder's edition card is the best blower card, granted compared to non-blowers it's not amazing. Still, 83 is normal for nvidia reference cards. My titan and the titan my brother has right now both peak at 84.


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites

83 C isn't much to worry about unless you're operating at that for hours on end regularly.


A girl who loves to love.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries with the temps on the reference cards. Low 80's is perfectly fine and not to worry about ! 


CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

GPU : EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Cooling : Corsair H100i V2 PSU : Corsair Rm850x

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Aimi said:

83 C isn't much to worry about unless you're operating at that for hours on end regularly.

This is exactly the situation. Either I get out of the game and let it cool for a sec or I just stop playing completely. My old 1060 never got anywhere near these temps and yes I understand this card draws wayyyy more power which will equal more heat. I usually play for about 3-4 hours at a time and it gets hot pretty quick. Do I just crank the fan to 100%???

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, skeeter36 said:

This is exactly the situation. Either I get out of the game and let it cool for a sec or I just stop playing completely. My old 1060 never got anywhere near these temps and yes I understand this card draws wayyyy more power which will equal more heat. I usually play for about 3-4 hours at a time and it gets hot pretty quick. Do I just crank the fan to 100%???

3-4 hours wouldn't really cause harm though. I mean more towards 8+ without breaks.


A girl who loves to love.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Aimi said:

3-4 hours wouldn't really cause harm though. I mean more towards 8+ without breaks.

Ok 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always try to do a custom fan curve if the noise is not an issue for you ! I have a EVGA 1080 TI SC2 and use a custom fan curve because i use to card under heavy load for 6 to 8 hours a day. Yes the noise can be overwhelming but when using a headset it is not really an issue.

You can use MSI Afterburner to do !


CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

GPU : EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Cooling : Corsair H100i V2 PSU : Corsair Rm850x

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Se7enEle7en said:

You can always try to do a custom fan curve if the noise is not an issue for you ! I have a EVGA 1080 TI SC2 and use a custom fan curve because i use to card under heavy load for 6 to 8 hours a day. Yes the noise can be overwhelming but when using a headset it is not really an issue.

You can use MSI Afterburner to do !

I have afterburner and tried setting a fan curve but it doesn't seem to save. When I adjust the fan curve it runs great, but when I come back the next day the fan is back to stock. What am I doing wrong? Does afterburner always have to be running when the pc is on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the settings you should have the option to start the software when Windows start and the option to start it minimize. Also make sure that the windows icon is hightlighted on the main settings page like in the picture below ! 

MJemzkr.png


CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

GPU : EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Cooling : Corsair H100i V2 PSU : Corsair Rm850x

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The founder's edition card is the best blower card, granted compared to non-blowers it's not amazing. Still, 83 is normal for nvidia reference cards. My titan and the titan my brother has right now both peak at 84.

One thing to consider is that this is a MSi variant of the card and thus the GPU inside might not be the best silicon ever... genuine nVidia FE cards on the other hand are the highest binning and by that they work a bit colder... my own nVidia FE tops at 77C~ for instance.

 

But my old GTX TITAN XM would also go to the 83C~ margin and be significantly louder... Pascal shown a great improvement, I dare say the 1080 Ti FE is still a better cooler than the RX 5700 XT despite AMD and Sapphire intense marketing to sell it as "the best blower cooler evah".

 

18 minutes ago, skeeter36 said:

Do I just crank the fan to 100%???

If it bothers you too much, buy a compatible AiO for it:

 

Y2M2NTE5OGU4YWViMDI0NmFiMjQ4Y2M2MmUzZTYy


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
30 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

One thing to consider is that this is a MSi variant of the card and thus the GPU inside might not be the best silicon ever... genuine nVidia FE cards on the other hand are the highest binning and by that they work a bit colder... my own nVidia FE tops at 77C~ for instance.

 

But my old GTX TITAN XM would also go to the 83C~ margin and be significantly louder... Pascal shown a great improvement, I dare say the 1080 Ti FE is still a better cooler than the RX 5700 XT despite AMD and Sapphire intense marketing to sell it as "the best blower cooler evah".

 

If it bothers you too much, buy a compatible AiO for it:

 

Y2M2NTE5OGU4YWViMDI0NmFiMjQ4Y2M2MmUzZTYy

With the fan profile active and working it never goes above 75 Celsius. I just need to figure out this afterburner software I guess. It says MSI on the box but it says it absolutely nowhere on the card itself. All it says is Nvidia so im thinking MSI didn't mess with this version at all hardly. It also looks identical to nvidias version so maybe they just put it in their box.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, skeeter36 said:

With the fan profile active and working it never goes above 75 Celsius. I just need to figure out this afterburner software I guess. It says MSI on the box but it says it absolutely nowhere on the card itself. All it says is Nvidia so im thinking MSI didn't mess with this version at all hardly. It also looks identical to nvidias version so maybe they just put it in their box.

I thought my little explanation was fine if you are not sure how to make the settings starts on Windows start up try finding a youtube video of some sort and you should be good to go ! The important part is to make sure the windows icon on the front page of MSI is hightlighted so the settings will boot with the software ! You can always save profile to if you want different fan curve or OC settings for when gaming or doing something else on the PC 


CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

GPU : EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Cooling : Corsair H100i V2 PSU : Corsair Rm850x

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, skeeter36 said:

The cooler is identical to a genuine nVidia FE, same with PCB... however the memory and GPU itself can differ, like nVidia only uses Samsung while with the AIB FE cards you may find Hynix and Micron as well and the GPU itself won't be the same "A" highly binned but rather w/e GPU the manufacturer has at hand.


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: Corsair RM850X 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: WD Black M.2 2280 500GB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk SSD Plus G26 480gb |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
47 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The cooler is identical to a genuine nVidia FE, same with PCB... however the memory and GPU itself can differ, like nVidia only uses Samsung while with the AIB FE cards you may find Hynix and Micron as well and the GPU itself won't be the same "A" highly binned but rather w/e GPU the manufacturer has at hand.

Ok, that makes sense. Nvidia keeps the best chips for themselves and allows board partners to use the lower quality chips. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@Se7enEle7en It Still does not open with windows even though that box is highlighted. Its like nothing i adjust on afterburner saves. Its like it only works for your current session. Every time i fire up my computer i have to reset all the same settings from the day before. This gets really old and honestly makes me not even want to run it at all. Running a high end GPU shouldn't mean constant tweaking and testing. I should be able to fire it up and get the same result every time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 1:53 PM, skeeter36 said:

Se7enEle7en It Still does not open with windows even though that box is highlighted. Its like nothing i adjust on afterburner saves. Its like it only works for your current session. Every time i fire up my computer i have to reset all the same settings from the day before. This gets really old and honestly makes me not even want to run it at all. Running a high end GPU shouldn't mean constant tweaking and testing. I should be able to fire it up and get the same result every time.

Sorry for the delay was out of town for the week end. Maybe check in the task manager under Startup if MSI Afterburner is disable if not try to make a task using the task scheduler and it should force MSI to start upon Windows Startup


CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

GPU : EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Cooling : Corsair H100i V2 PSU : Corsair Rm850x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×