MSI GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Temps??

skeeter36

Hey guys, so I have this MSI GTX 1080Ti founders edition card... its a blower style card and from my understanding not the best cooler design (even though that's not what I was told when I bought it). When I'm mid session playing pubg, apex, or fortnite the I get a warning from CAM software that my card has hit 83 Celsius and prolonged exposure can damage my card. 

My questions are:

- What should the temp limit be set at?

- What is safe operating temp?

- Should I have the fan at 100% all the time?

-Are there other cooling options that won't void a warranty?

Any input is appreciated, thanks fellas

83-84 are normal temps for 1080ti, nothing to worry about

most manufacturers will allow you to change the gpu cooler, but i don't know MSI's policies

The founder's edition card is the best blower card, granted compared to non-blowers it's not amazing. Still, 83 is normal for nvidia reference cards. My titan and the titan my brother has right now both peak at 84.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

83 C isn't much to worry about unless you're operating at that for hours on end regularly.

A girl who loves to love.

No worries with the temps on the reference cards. Low 80's is perfectly fine and not to worry about ! 

CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

GPU : EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Cooling : Corsair H100i V2 PSU : Corsair Rm850x

6 minutes ago, Aimi said:

83 C isn't much to worry about unless you're operating at that for hours on end regularly.

This is exactly the situation. Either I get out of the game and let it cool for a sec or I just stop playing completely. My old 1060 never got anywhere near these temps and yes I understand this card draws wayyyy more power which will equal more heat. I usually play for about 3-4 hours at a time and it gets hot pretty quick. Do I just crank the fan to 100%???

Just now, skeeter36 said:

This is exactly the situation. Either I get out of the game and let it cool for a sec or I just stop playing completely. My old 1060 never got anywhere near these temps and yes I understand this card draws wayyyy more power which will equal more heat. I usually play for about 3-4 hours at a time and it gets hot pretty quick. Do I just crank the fan to 100%???

3-4 hours wouldn't really cause harm though. I mean more towards 8+ without breaks.

A girl who loves to love.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

3-4 hours wouldn't really cause harm though. I mean more towards 8+ without breaks.

Ok 

You can always try to do a custom fan curve if the noise is not an issue for you ! I have a EVGA 1080 TI SC2 and use a custom fan curve because i use to card under heavy load for 6 to 8 hours a day. Yes the noise can be overwhelming but when using a headset it is not really an issue.

You can use MSI Afterburner to do !

CPU : i7-8700k  Mobo : Asus Prime z370-a RAM : G.Skill RipJaws V 16gb (2x8gb) Storage : 1tb Samsung 850 EVO

1 minute ago, Se7enEle7en said:

You can always try to do a custom fan curve if the noise is not an issue for you ! I have a EVGA 1080 TI SC2 and use a custom fan curve because i use to card under heavy load for 6 to 8 hours a day. Yes the noise can be overwhelming but when using a headset it is not really an issue.

You can use MSI Afterburner to do !

I have afterburner and tried setting a fan curve but it doesn't seem to save. When I adjust the fan curve it runs great, but when I come back the next day the fan is back to stock. What am I doing wrong? Does afterburner always have to be running when the pc is on?

In the settings you should have the option to start the software when Windows start and the option to start it minimize. Also make sure that the windows icon is hightlighted on the main settings page like in the picture below ! 

MJemzkr.png

23 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The founder's edition card is the best blower card, granted compared to non-blowers it's not amazing. Still, 83 is normal for nvidia reference cards. My titan and the titan my brother has right now both peak at 84.

One thing to consider is that this is a MSi variant of the card and thus the GPU inside might not be the best silicon ever... genuine nVidia FE cards on the other hand are the highest binning and by that they work a bit colder... my own nVidia FE tops at 77C~ for instance.

But my old GTX TITAN XM would also go to the 83C~ margin and be significantly louder... Pascal shown a great improvement, I dare say the 1080 Ti FE is still a better cooler than the RX 5700 XT despite AMD and Sapphire intense marketing to sell it as "the best blower cooler evah".

18 minutes ago, skeeter36 said:

Do I just crank the fan to 100%???

If it bothers you too much, buy a compatible AiO for it:

Y2M2NTE5OGU4YWViMDI0NmFiMjQ4Y2M2MmUzZTYy

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

30 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

One thing to consider is that this is a MSi variant of the card and thus the GPU inside might not be the best silicon ever... genuine nVidia FE cards on the other hand are the highest binning and by that they work a bit colder... my own nVidia FE tops at 77C~ for instance.

But my old GTX TITAN XM would also go to the 83C~ margin and be significantly louder... Pascal shown a great improvement, I dare say the 1080 Ti FE is still a better cooler than the RX 5700 XT despite AMD and Sapphire intense marketing to sell it as "the best blower cooler evah".

If it bothers you too much, buy a compatible AiO for it:

Y2M2NTE5OGU4YWViMDI0NmFiMjQ4Y2M2MmUzZTYy

With the fan profile active and working it never goes above 75 Celsius. I just need to figure out this afterburner software I guess. It says MSI on the box but it says it absolutely nowhere on the card itself. All it says is Nvidia so im thinking MSI didn't mess with this version at all hardly. It also looks identical to nvidias version so maybe they just put it in their box.  

10 minutes ago, skeeter36 said:

With the fan profile active and working it never goes above 75 Celsius. I just need to figure out this afterburner software I guess. It says MSI on the box but it says it absolutely nowhere on the card itself. All it says is Nvidia so im thinking MSI didn't mess with this version at all hardly. It also looks identical to nvidias version so maybe they just put it in their box.

I thought my little explanation was fine if you are not sure how to make the settings starts on Windows start up try finding a youtube video of some sort and you should be good to go ! The important part is to make sure the windows icon on the front page of MSI is hightlighted so the settings will boot with the software ! You can always save profile to if you want different fan curve or OC settings for when gaming or doing something else on the PC 

10 minutes ago, skeeter36 said:

The cooler is identical to a genuine nVidia FE, same with PCB... however the memory and GPU itself can differ, like nVidia only uses Samsung while with the AIB FE cards you may find Hynix and Micron as well and the GPU itself won't be the same "A" highly binned but rather w/e GPU the manufacturer has at hand.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

47 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The cooler is identical to a genuine nVidia FE, same with PCB... however the memory and GPU itself can differ, like nVidia only uses Samsung while with the AIB FE cards you may find Hynix and Micron as well and the GPU itself won't be the same "A" highly binned but rather w/e GPU the manufacturer has at hand.

Ok, that makes sense. Nvidia keeps the best chips for themselves and allows board partners to use the lower quality chips. 

@Se7enEle7en It Still does not open with windows even though that box is highlighted. Its like nothing i adjust on afterburner saves. Its like it only works for your current session. Every time i fire up my computer i have to reset all the same settings from the day before. This gets really old and honestly makes me not even want to run it at all. Running a high end GPU shouldn't mean constant tweaking and testing. I should be able to fire it up and get the same result every time.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:53 PM, skeeter36 said:

Se7enEle7en It Still does not open with windows even though that box is highlighted. Its like nothing i adjust on afterburner saves. Its like it only works for your current session. Every time i fire up my computer i have to reset all the same settings from the day before. This gets really old and honestly makes me not even want to run it at all. Running a high end GPU shouldn't mean constant tweaking and testing. I should be able to fire it up and get the same result every time.

Sorry for the delay was out of town for the week end. Maybe check in the task manager under Startup if MSI Afterburner is disable if not try to make a task using the task scheduler and it should force MSI to start upon Windows Startup

Ok, thanks for the info. Ill give it a shot and let ya know.

• 6 months later...

Um pretty sure no 1080ti has samsung memory only micron 

So is this just a blower card or an actual fe card? 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz