How to setup an ISP provided modem-router with your router?

Kevino

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to connect our ISP provided modem-router to our own router. So the modem-router is not very reliable I only want to use it as a coax to ethernet adapter. Our TP-Link router would have the DHCP. But I have ran into a problem I can't figure out how to setup Wan connection on the TP-Link.

Hope You can help.

Router2.png

You have to disable the wireless properties on the Modem/Router combo and hook up the other router like you normally would with just a standard modem. Basically using it as an access point.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just use the Lan port not the wan port.

Set the ip to static, input 192.168.0.2 (if the modem is 0.1), default gateway to the modem ip.

Enable DHCP on tplink and set starting ip to above 0.10

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

If you can put the ISP modem in bridge mode then use Dynamic IP on the TP-link. If you cannot put the ISP modem into bridge mode then as was suggested you could turn your Router into an AP. This will only improve wifi and not enhance your router throughput or performance.

51 minutes ago, Kevino said:

Thanks for all the answers. I was going this way: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/618/

PPOe is generally used for DSL connections. I have not seen a cable company use that config. So that setting might not work. Your best bet is getting the current modem/router in bridge mode and use the TPlink like normal. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

We have a Sagemcom F@st 3686 as the modem-router. I just want to set that as a normal modem. I have no idea how to do that and I couldn't find it. We don't have a PPPoE because it's not an ADSL modem. 

11 minutes ago, Kevino said:

We have a Sagemcom F@st 3686 as the modem-router. I just want to set that as a normal modem. I have no idea how to do that and I couldn't find it. We don't have a PPPoE because it's not an ADSL modem. 

All the isp. Comcast for instance doesn’t allow users to have access to those options. So you have to call tech support to get it enabled. Or just buy a standard cable modem  + a router.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.