Valve going to end official support for Ubuntu starting from 19.10

Chunchunmaru_
1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

On what grounds?

Unlike windows 10 you are not forced to do the upgrade. Unlike Windows it’s not like the average user paid for Ubuntu. So no one has grounds for a lawsuit. 

i was more replying to the people that says all OSes should drop 32bit support including windows

16 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i was more replying to the people that says all OSes should drop 32bit support including windows

Again you dont have to upgrade to the new OS's. Thats why countless businesses still use XP. Plus the end user doesnt own the OS. They are merely using it, so if MS wants to give up on 32 bit, then they can. Also according to this thread:

The whole thing was taken out of context. Ubuntu will support 32 bit software. Just Canonical will not be supporting the 32 bit libraries any more. As in they will not receive updates past where they are now. To my understanding, devs can include the 32 bit support directly in to their installers if they need to. So basically Canonical is just pushing the extra work on to the devs and I feel thats fair. If the devs dont want to do the extra work, then they can make their software 64 bit compliant. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Again you dont have to upgrade to the new OS's. Thats why countless businesses still use XP. Plus the end user doesnt own the OS. They are merely using it, so if MS wants to give up on 32 bit, then they can. Also according to this thread:

The whole thing was taken out of context. Ubuntu will support 32 bit software. Just Canonical will not be supporting the 32 bit libraries any more. As in they will not receive updates past where they are now. To my understanding, devs can include the 32 bit support directly in to their installers if they need to. So basically Canonical is just pushing the extra work on to the devs and I feel thats fair. If the devs dont want to do the extra work, then they can make their software 64 bit compliant. 

sure if you dont mind being at risk of getting malware when security support inevitably run out and i was more thinking of a scenario where they push an update to windows 10 that disables 32bit support

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

they push an update to windows 10 that disables 32bit support

Go to MacOS, Go to a linux distro with 32 bit support. Windows isnt the only OS. Microsoft is not obligated to kiss anyone's ass. Its their product and legal they can do what ever they want with it. Neither is Canonical. My guess is in the business world where they make their "Money", they feel that dropping support for the 32 bit libraries its ok businesses wise.  Thats all that matters. Remember they dont make money off you and me. They make money off of the people who pay for support. Those are the only people they have to satisfy. Same thing applies to Microsoft, enterprise users are the only ones that matter in the grand scheme of things. They are the ones who pay the yearly fees and such. Just like 16 bit died out, 32 bit will die out too. Software will be updated eventually and work around will be found. 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

if you dont mind being at risk of getting malware when security support inevitably run out

Like what happened with XP. And still people use it. Or like what will happen to Win 7, and Im sure there will be those holdouts as well. You know the risks of using outdated and non support things. You take the risk. Its not like Microsoft is holding a gun to your head. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Canonical have even said 19.10 will support the 32bit libraries/packages in 18.10 repos, may even by default look there if not in 19.10. The only problem I can see is if two libraries or packages clash with each other which won't get fixed or tested, that's really what legacy entails, it works till it doesn't.

18 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Canonical have even said 19.10 will support the 32bit libraries/packages in 18.10 repos, may even by default look there if not in 19.10. The only problem I can see is if two libraries or packages clash with each other which won't get fixed or tested, that's really what legacy entails, it works till it doesn't.

You can always jump over to debian.... 9_9

On 6/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Doobeedoo said:

32-bit OSs should've stop being a thing for a while now. Dragging legacy support and such I'm surprised we haven't moved from it yet. 

Yeah it should. The mobile industry has completely moved onto 64-bit, but I guess it was because it was spear-spearheaded by Apple

Hopefully Valve changes their mind, now that Ubuntu backtracked a bit.  Kinda hope that'll be the case.

And hopefully we'll get a solution that'll allow Linux distros to finally drop i386 as a supported architecture while still allow us to use legacy software without too much setting up on the user's end.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)