Very old PSU in new build - good idea?

s4keru
Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,
4 minutes ago, s4keru said:

Ryzen 3 1200
ASRock A320M-HDV

GoodRAM Iridium Blue 2x4GB 2400MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM

Some basic 120GB SSSD, nothing special or fancy.

Want to keep GTX 650 for a while (i know it will bottleneck but it will get upgraded later) and 1 TB HDD. The question is: should I power it with a PSU this old? Well it works fine for now but who knows if it will later. Also i don't want to do any OC. I can open the PSU and check if there are any signs of wear off, cap leakages or sth. But still, do you think it will be safe to use? It have all cables I need for modern builds: ATX 20+4 pin, 12v CPU 4 pin, PCIe 6 pin, some molex and SATA cables.

grab a corsair CX/M, be quiet system power 9 or xilence performance A+, 2200G+B350/450 Pro4+3000mhz ram kit and sell off the gtx 650.

Hi, for the last few years I had fun with getting older, cheap (no more than $150, only used parts) but well working builds up. From the first build about 5-6 years ago (C2D E6400, 4 gigs DDR2, 250GB HDD and Geforce GT430) I am still using very old, but quality PSU: Tagan TG-380-U01 which is 380W unit. I used it without a problem while upgrading these systems first to C2Q 8400, 8 gigs DDR2, Radeon HD 5770 Super OC, 1 TB HDD, and now to i5-650, 8 gigs DDR3, Geforce GTX 650 (non Ti) and 1TB HDD. To this day this Tagan PSU is working perfectly fine without any issues almost everyday. The problem is: it is now a 15 years old unit. Because more parts are getting cheaper now where I live (Poland) I plan to make a move to Ryzen. The planned specs are:

Ryzen 3 1200
ASRock A320M-HDV

Want to keep GTX 650 for a while (i know it will bottleneck but it will get upgraded later) and 1 TB HDD. The question is: should I power it with a PSU this old? Well it works fine for now but who knows if it will later. Also i don't want to do any OC. I can open the PSU and check if there are any signs of wear off, cap leakages or sth. But still, do you think it will be safe to use? It have all cables I need for modern builds: ATX 20+4 pin, 12v CPU 4 pin, PCIe 6 pin, some molex and SATA cables.

I am looking for an advice if it is safe to use (assuming that there are no critical signs of wear off) and if not then what PSU can you recommend for this build (quality 350W 80 Plus 230V EU certified, like i don't know Corsair will be good, or should I look for something a little more powerful? I want this setup to be energy efficent (planned GPU is GTX 750 TI, 950 or 1050, depends on price and availability)

Thank you in advance 

2 minutes ago, s4keru said:

Hi, for the last few years I had fun with getting older, cheap (no more than $150, only used parts) but well working builds up. From the first build about 5-6 years ago (C2D E6400, 4 gigs DDR2, 250GB HDD and Geforce GT430) I am still using very old, but quality PSU: Tagan TG-380-U01 which is 380W unit. I used it without a problem while upgrading these systems first to C2Q 8400, 8 gigs DDR2, Radeon HD 5770 Super OC, 1 TB HDD, and now to i5-650, 8 gigs DDR3, Geforce GTX 650 (non Ti) and 1TB HDD. To this day this Tagan PSU is working perfectly fine without any issues almost everyday. The problem is: it is now a 15 years old unit. Because more parts are getting cheaper now where I live (Poland) I plan to make a move to Ryzen. The planned specs are:

Ryzen 3 1200
ASRock A320M-HDV

I am looking for an advice if it is safe to use (assuming that there are no critical signs of wear off) and if not then what PSU can you recommend for this build (quality 350W 80 Plus 230V EU certified, like i don't know Corsair will be good, or should I look for something a little more powerful? I want this setup to be energy efficent (planned GPU is GTX 750 TI, 950 or 1050, depends on price and availability)

Thank you in advance 

Bad idea. Like I was just told in a post a few minutes ago the PSU is the most important part of a PC. And one that old could go cablooey any time now.

2 minutes ago, s4keru said:

ASRock A320M-HDV

at least get a good board like the b450 Pro4. 

like dont buy A-series boards. 

3 minutes ago, s4keru said:

PSU can you recommend for this build (quality 350W 80 Plus 230V EU certified, like i don't know Corsair will be good, or should I look for something a little more powerful?

cx450 (2017) from corsair as minimum

Energy efficiency starts with the PSU so get a new one. Get some gold rated unit, you can find good ones in the PSU Tier list here on the forum. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

you really sure you want to use an ancient PSU that more than likely has failing capacitors? it can kill off some of the parts if it dies and cost may more than a replacement.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Ryzen 3 1200
ASRock A320M-HDV

grab a corsair CX/M, be quiet system power 9 or xilence performance A+, 2200G+B350/450 Pro4+3000mhz ram kit and sell off the gtx 650.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

12 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

you really sure you want to use an ancient PSU that more than likely has failing capacitors? it can kill off some of the parts if it dies and cost may more than a replacement.

Well i don't know if it have anything faulty now, haven't looked inside yet. As I said earlier, it works perfectly fine without any powerdrops, overheating or stability issues.
I am little scared bedcause of it's age that's why I am asking ;)

The PSU question is closed - ordering a new one now. But the thing that intigued me now:

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

at least get a good board like the b450 Pro4. 

like dont buy A-series boards. 

cx450 (2017) from corsair as minimum

Why I should avoid A series board? I don't need OC because I don't want to do it, Also don't need any fancy stuff and features, only basics. What I need from MOBO is: it works, and it is stable, it support parts that i plan to put in, it will not die in few days or weeks. That's all

Just now, s4keru said:

Why i should avoid A series board? I don't need OC because I don't want to do it, Also don't need any fancy stuff and features, only basics. What I need from MOBO is: it works, and it is stable, it supports parts that i plan to put in, it will not die in few days or weeks. That's all

A320 wont support 3rd gen and they are universally horrid boards. you honestly want tp pay that little extra for the PRO4

Just now, GoldenLag said:

A320 wont support 3rd gen and they are universally horrid boards. you honestly want tp pay that little extra for the PRO4

Sounds fair enough to me, I will probably reconsider next build plan then ;)

Thank you for advices, and being so fast :D

Have a nice day

25 minutes ago, s4keru said:

The question is: should I power it with a PSU this old?

Absolutely not.

34 minutes ago, s4keru said:

I can open the PSU and check if there are any signs of wear off, cap leakages or sth.

No...

If you need to ask whether or not it's a good idea to use a 15 year old PSU, then it's a safe assumption you lack the skills to do this safely and could kill yourself in the process. Not even sure what you're expecting to see? Just because the caps haven't leaked doesn't mean the PSU is in good condition. Pointless endeavour anyway since the PSU needs to be replaced. The only thing you should be doing with that PSU is recycling it somewhere that accepts eWaste.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Absolutely not.

No...

If you need to ask whether or not it's a good idea to use a 15 year old PSU, then it's a safe assumption you lack the skills to do this safely and could kill yourself in the process. Not even sure what you're expecting to see? Just because the caps haven't leaked doesn't mean the PSU is in good condition. Pointless endeavour anyway since the PSU needs to be replaced. The only thing you should be doing with that PSU is recycling it somewhere that accepts eWaste.

Well, I know that it is dangerous and I know how to do it safely. Did it few times earlier for fun with all the safety rules. I started this thread to make myself sure that it is bad idea to still operate with a PSU this old. Why I wasn't sure? Well, you probably heard the rule if it works - don't touch it. I know that as electronics age they're getting worse and worse, completely different than the wine. Just wanted to make myself sure that it is time for changes :)

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

which doesn't apply to something that can literally fry your system...

Yeah, if it will fry some used cheap stuff like that i5 and cheap GTX 650 - I will not cry, but as I said planning to do upgrade of it to something modern which will be definitely more painful if PSU kill it. That's why this thread was created.

Now if someone can close it, it will be great, i know everything I wanted to know now.

Again, huge thanks

Now if someone can close it

select in your opinion the best answer and click on the checkmark below it, that'll mark it as solved

and all of us generally appreciate some likes if you got time