Travel Build

AngryPig
Go to solution Solved by TempestCatto,
43 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

http://www.theportablepc.com/

You're welcome

Those are big as they are expensive. That's not portable in a consumer sense. For editing footage on the go at remote shooting locations, yeah that's the exact thing to buy. But not in this case. All OP needs is a laptop with thunderbolt 3 and he's golden.

I am looking at spending some time abroad in 2020 and whilst I'll be working and exploring plenty, I don't want to kick my gaming habits just yet. Especially with Halo coming to PC next year. My current build is a fairly capable desktop which I am happy with and was not looking at upgrading any time soon (current specs in spoiler).

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X

NVIDIA GTX 1080TI 8GB

3x BenQ GW2255 monitors (1080p 60Hz)

64GB DDR3 1333MHZ (8 x 8gb)

Samsung 860 Evo 1TB Sata

My budget is $2000 AUD but I am not firm (ie $100 for more performance then sure). I won't be taking a monitor with my whilst traveling however given most modern upgrades are going to have better CPUs than my desktop I was wondering if it is worth increasing my budget and replacing the desktop. My concern with this is powering 3 additional displays for when I am home, battery life of a higher performance laptop (and deterioration) and portability.

So my options as I see it are:

1. My current desktop and a moderate gaming laptop
  2. Highly spec'ed laptop and no desktop (looking at maybe $3000 budget + whatever I can get for my desktop)
  3. Moderate laptop with eGPU (Using the 1080ti from my desktop) and my current desktop

My current choice is a laptop through Metabox for roughly $2000 with the following specs and keeping my desktop

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-9750H Hexa Core
NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti 6GB GDDR6
15.6" FHD IPS-like Edge-to-Edge Matte 60Hz
32GB DDR4 2666MHZ (2 x 16GB)
660P Series 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
Intel 9560 AC Dual Band WIFI/BT 

Does anyone have thoughts on these options and suggestions on what build laptop I should go for them? Also thoughts on buying in Australia vs waiting till I get to the US?

Thanks

I like the eGPU route. You could get something like the XPS 13/15 which has a weak GPU for basic gaming and plug it in via thunderbolt 3 to your 1080ti when you're at home. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

43 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

http://www.theportablepc.com/

You're welcome

Those are big as they are expensive. That's not portable in a consumer sense. For editing footage on the go at remote shooting locations, yeah that's the exact thing to buy. But not in this case. All OP needs is a laptop with thunderbolt 3 and he's golden.