How can I control stuff based on the temperature of the computer?

Sonefiler

Hey guys. 

I'm working on a build that, when the computer heats up, a heating element is activated. What's the best way that I could send a signal out after a certain heat threshold is reached, so that the heating element is activated by the computer?

(I know this sounds counter-intuitive. Trust me, there's a method to my madness, and I'll share it on the forums once I'm done.)

Thank you!

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I assume you want your PC to activate some other device when certain PC component reaches X temperature?

You can use 12V FAN output in order to send signal. Problem is, I don't know if you can configure FAN to stay 0 until target component reaches certain temperature in the BIOS.

If you're doing some wacky DIY, you might have to get fan controller like Corsair Commander Pro because it can be configured to keep FAN output at 0. And it comes with thermal probes if you need them.

Then you can use that 12V signal to power the controller. Arduino or even relay to switch on/off whatever you want.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

If you plan on using a fan header to control your heating element, you may just want to try a free program called Speed Fan. And if you do go that route here is a video on how to use the software. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I assume you want your PC to activate some other device when certain PC component reaches X temperature?

You can use 12V FAN output in order to send signal. Problem is, I don't know if you can configure FAN to stay 0 until target component reaches certain temperature in the BIOS.

If you're doing some wacky DIY, you might have to get fan controller like Corsair Commander Pro because it can be configured to keep FAN output at 0. And it comes with thermal probes if you need them.

Then you can use that 12V signal to power the controller. Arduino or even relay to switch on/off whatever you want.

Yeah, this is kind of the idea I was thinking of. I was looking at this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Temperature-Thermostatic-Applicable-Miniature/dp/B07GBS38SW/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cr_simh_0_2/133-9645076-8883128?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GBS38SW&pd_rd_r=dbc8f134-eb67-4c61-9c75-38c16789601f&pd_rd_w=NdONv&pd_rd_wg=9nsGg&pf_rd_p=31caee8f-ce20-49ad-9f29-d71df297ad52&pf_rd_r=KT4ZENGKM0S1G4EYKC34&psc=1&refRID=KT4ZENGKM0S1G4EYKC34

Since it's 12V, I thought that it might even be possible to just power the heating plate with the fan header. It does demand like 8x more current than a fan, but from the little material that exists online, it seems like fan headers can handle a theoretical limit of 20W, which is well within range. 

Another thought I had is that if the motherboard had output pins (similar to the raspberri pi), I could just use the signal from that as an on/off switch and just plug in some random 12v power adapter into the wall to power this thing.

This is why I like Gigabytes fan control as you can set each fan attached to the mobo to respond to whatever component temperature you want, even the extra temp sensors you can plug into the motherboard..

I CANNOT believe Asus doesn't give me these options in the BIOS.. I fucking hate it..

Or did I not understand what's going on here lol..?

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

If you plan on using a fan header to control your heating element, you may just want to try a free program called Speed Fan. And if you do go that route here is a video on how to use the software. 

Thank you, I will look into this!

Just now, Sonefiler said:

Thank you, I will look into this!

Your welcome! ;)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!