Got a weird one for you guys...

Koth

LTT Forum! Long time watcher of the show and first time coming here as my last attempt to solve this before I go nutso...

So, I've been having quite the odd problem lately - lag due to mouse movement. NOT WEIRD, YOU MIGHT SAY! Thing is, I've updated drivers on every USB port, disabled (then re-enabled) a couple of NVIDIA sound items, moved from windows 10 v1803 to v1903, etc etc etc. Troubleshooted with a friend and he hit me with this: try a different mouse.

So I swap from the Corsair M65 to the less rainbow-unicorn Logitech M510 (cheapo wireless mouse) and the lag goes away. Great, seems like a mouse problem. Well in an unrelated event, I had actually just ordered a Rosewill M59 for my ladyfriend's new build, decided to commandeer that until I could get things sorted out with Corsair on the M65's warranty. Plug it in, BAM - same issue. Swap back to logitech, issue gone. I'm truly stumped, and I'd like to know if anyone has a hot take on this, or even some last-ditch stuff for me to try... System specs below:

i7-6850k (3.6 ghz)

ROG STRIX 1080TI

32gb Trident Z RGB 2400

ROG STRIX X99 GAMING mobo

Seasonic 1000w 80+ Platinum

What is the polling rate of the  mouse?That if adjusted can solve the issue.

5 minutes ago, Koth said:

LTT Forum! Long time watcher of the show and first time coming here as my last attempt to solve this before I go nutso...

So, I've been having quite the odd problem lately - lag due to mouse movement. NOT WEIRD, YOU MIGHT SAY! Thing is, I've updated drivers on every USB port, disabled (then re-enabled) a couple of NVIDIA sound items, moved from windows 10 v1803 to v1903, etc etc etc. Troubleshooted with a friend and he hit me with this: try a different mouse.

So I swap from the Corsair M65 to the less rainbow-unicorn Logitech M510 (cheapo wireless mouse) and the lag goes away. Great, seems like a mouse problem. Well in an unrelated event, I had actually just ordered a Rosewill M59 for my ladyfriend's new build, decided to commandeer that until I could get things sorted out with Corsair on the M65's warranty. Plug it in, BAM - same issue. Swap back to logitech, issue gone. I'm truly stumped, and I'd like to know if anyone has a hot take on this, or even some last-ditch stuff for me to try... System specs below:

i7-6850k (3.6 ghz)

ROG STRIX 1080TI

32gb Trident Z RGB 2400

ROG STRIX X99 GAMING mobo

Seasonic 1000w 80+ Platinum

Do you have any Corsair software installed? The Logitech certainly won't get picked up by that software, but a lesser known brand like Rosewill might. 

Try uninstalling any corsair software (RGB control, mouse DPI control, anything corsair related), booting into windows safe mode, then try the mouse again. You might have to reinstall software to get lag-free operation back. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

What is the polling rate of the  mouse?That if adjusted can solve the issue.

I adjusted both the Rosewill and the M65 - no change in anything. Also this issue began suddenly, system is ~18m old, and this started in the past month or two.

18 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Do you have any Corsair software installed? The Logitech certainly won't get picked up by that software, but a lesser known brand like Rosewill might. 

Try uninstalling any corsair software (RGB control, mouse DPI control, anything corsair related), booting into windows safe mode, then try the mouse again. You might have to reinstall software to get lag-free operation back. 

Uninstalled iCUE (RGB software), safe mode boot - no luck there either :/

Edit: Was trying with Rosewill mouse

Edited by Koth
specification on comment

13 hours ago, Koth said:

I adjusted both the Rosewill and the M65 - no change in anything. Also this issue began suddenly, system is ~18m old, and this started in the past month or two.

This is not the best idea but if you format windows that migh help.

13 hours ago, ManosMax13 said:

This is not the best idea but if you format windows that migh help.

Would that be different than a version upgrade though?

14 hours ago, Koth said:

Maybe,i mean you can always try.

As an overall update, I just updated my BIOS to a version 3 years newer with no fix there either.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:47 PM, Koth said:

Yes a complete format and reload will get rid of any possible software issues, you have to reinstall everything from scratch including drivers.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

honestly, the nuke from orbit seems a bit overkill when using the Logitech mouse resolves the issues, which implies it is not an underlining OS issue.  My suggestions to try before you take off and nuke the entire site from orbit are.

1. Use the iCUE to do f full reset on the mouse and update its firmware
    1. restest mouse
  2. I use an uninstaller utility like Revo to remove all driver software for the mouse and any supporting software
    1. retest mouse
  3. Boot off an Ubuntu/WinPE live CD or boot into Windows Defender Offline Scan (winpe)
    1. Test mouse (should rule out hardware issues with mouse, PC and if the mouse as software conflicts)

Now at this point, if the Corsair is working normally off the live CD boot back into windows and reinstall the drivers and support software if the issues are still there then the mouse has conflicts with something else installed. Start backing out new installs one at a time in reverse order until you find the one the conflicts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all - Just an update here...sorry it took a while to get back around to it.

I've now done the following in addition:

DDU Wipe then reinstall of all drivers

Registry clean with CC Cleaner

Downloaded the Driver Easy utility and ran that, updated multiple drivers including a couple USB drivers (which I thought I had done?)

At this point, the problem is...worse, if anything. That's with the Corsair M65, or the Rosewill M59.

Would there be any odd reason why the small wireless logitec M510 is working but those aren't, outside of simple polling rates? Like...is there a possibility that I could do fine with a higher-end wireless mouse?

And seriously...thanks to everyone who is contributing or offering suggestions here. Y'all are dope.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

Yes a complete format and reload will get rid of any possible software issues, you have to reinstall everything from scratch including drivers.

Trying to get some other stuff done and tested just cuz that nugget is always such a slog to go back through and do.

Have you ever tried to remove/reinstall the generic Windows HID-driver? Eventhough each manufacturer has its own driver for special features, most (all?!?!) devices still rely on the default ones from Windows. If those would be somehow corrupted, those manufacturer drivers won't matter because Windows will still use its generics for the mouse core functions point and click.

If that does not fix it you could also check your Bios for anything usb related, especially anything that says poll rate.

Why your a wireless mouse works though. I don't really know the details of this, but wireless devices and usb devices each use different "protocols" to communicate with a computer. So the signal going over 2.4ghz is not like the signal going through a cable and a wireless device itself does not have a usb controller. So they may also use different drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 6:27 AM, Koth said:

Trying to get some other stuff done and tested just cuz that nugget is always such a slog to go back through and do.

@SpookyCitrus you were right all along. Finally bit the bullet and just went with it - few hours resetting everything back to my norm, but here I am running clean!

Thanks so much for all your help to everyone who threw a suggestion up here in the thread