Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zakusa3xza

Power supply install up or down?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi I have a nzxt h500. I see some places saying to install the power supply facing upwards and others saying to install it facing downwards and I don’t know what to do. Right now I installed it facing upwards. Should I change it?

63DFA525-9AB9-46C1-9524-47F4310057B9.jpeg

I would flip it if it's not much work.

The PSU fan is intake so it could pull air away from your GPU but I wouldn't worry too much.

Current Build Log:

Prior Build Log:

Yes it’s a lot of work due to cable management in tiny space. I could remove the side panel if that would help though 

The fan on the PSU takes air in, so if you point it upwards it will suck in air from inside the case. While if you point the fan down, it will suck in air from the bottom, creating it's own airflow, instead of trying to take air that otherwise the GPU might get for example.

If at all possible and your PC is not placed on carpet (which it doesn't appear it is), having the PSU faces down is optimal. It is not the end of the world to have it face upwards though, seeing as the PSU basement at least has vents.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

13 minutes ago, Zakusa3xza said:

don’t know what to do. Right now I installed it facing upwards. Should I change it?

Neither do we.

Depends on the Carpet you have.

And the Cats + Dogs.

If you have a rather high carpet and  a ton of cats and dogs -> facing up.

If you don't have a Carpet -> Facing down.

In that case you should change it.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I feel like the obvious answer is yes I just don’t want to have to remove this power supply again

13 minutes ago, Zakusa3xza said:

Ok I chose to flip it but should I remove this thing from the bottom?

What thing? Assuming you're referring to the dust filter, then you should leave it as it will stop dust from clogging up your PSU. Just clean the filter every 6-12 months (maybe more often if you are in a dusty environment, have pets that shed fur, etc)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450