Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IAmAndre

Your thoughts on this motherboard?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

 

I'm looking to replace my Gigabyte B450M DS3H which didn't last long and apparently had compatibility issues with Corsair Vengeance RAM sticks.

I'll pair it with a Ryzen 5 2600X and a Vega 56. I'm not doing any overclocking, though I might overclock the GPU at some point, but definitely not for now (I'm actually using the low power BIOS at 150W).

I'm really looking for the best price/performance ratio and don't want to spend more than $100. Durability is my main concern here. I chose this MSI model.

Is this a good choice?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

What makes it better?

MSI’s arsenal gaming lineup is generally really solid quality at reasonable prices


Pc Specadoodles:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200

motorbored: ASRock B450 Steel Legend

Graphics: MSI Armor RX 470

Memeory-Rams: 8GB DDR4 Viper Patriot 2400

HDD: 1 TB Hitachi Mechanical

SSD’s: 256GB 860 EVO, 128GB 850 EVO

PheadHones: Logitech G430's

Keybored: Logitech G413 Carbon

Moose: Steelseries Rival 110

Monitor: 1600x900 21.5 " Gateway monitor. Running at 1080p

PSU: 700W ThermalTake Smart RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

 

I'm looking to replace my Gigabyte B450M DS3H which didn't last long and apparently had compatibility issues with Corsair Vengeance RAM sticks.

I'll pair it with a Ryzen 5 2600X and a Vega 56. I'm not doing any overclocking, though I might overclock the GPU at some point, but definitely not for now (I'm actually using the low power BIOS at 150W).

I'm really looking for the best price/performance ratio and don't want to spend more than $100. Durability is my main concern here. I chose this MSI model.

Is this a good choice?

 

Thanks

RMA the board, it's not been 3 years yet has it?


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

RMA the board, it's not been 3 years yet has it?

I got it in last December. I'm considering doing it, but yesterday I broke the latch on the PCI port. I'm not sure if they will accept it... Do you think they will?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I got it in last December. I'm considering doing it, but yesterday I broke the latch on the PCI port. I'm not sure if they will accept it... Do you think they will?

The catch that holds the GPU in the slot?

 

If so, it's not a big deal, we didn't have them years ago.  The GPU is more than fine without it.

 

Is that the only issue you have with the board?


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

What makes it better?

vrms, rgb, build quality, lower failure rate, things like that, it's about the best on b450 (NOT x470)

 

5 minutes ago, Grockle88 said:

MSI’s arsenal gaming lineup is generally really solid quality at reasonable prices

yeah... no, this is a once in a whiler, tomahawk in intel still isn't up to level with other price competitors


PSU Tier List//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Off Topic//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

 

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

 

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

 

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LukeSavenije said:

vrms, rgb, build quality, lower failure rate, things like that, it's about the best on b450 (NOT x470)

 

yeah... no, this is a once in a whiler, tomahawk in intel still isn't up to level with other price competitors

This, being news to me. This holds true for their AMD boards though?


Pc Specadoodles:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200

motorbored: ASRock B450 Steel Legend

Graphics: MSI Armor RX 470

Memeory-Rams: 8GB DDR4 Viper Patriot 2400

HDD: 1 TB Hitachi Mechanical

SSD’s: 256GB 860 EVO, 128GB 850 EVO

PheadHones: Logitech G430's

Keybored: Logitech G413 Carbon

Moose: Steelseries Rival 110

Monitor: 1600x900 21.5 " Gateway monitor. Running at 1080p

PSU: 700W ThermalTake Smart RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grockle88 said:

This, being news to me. This holds true for their AMD boards though?

msi did a great job on the 400 series... 300 (b350/x370) was too rushed, but that was partly AMD's fault

 

msi's tomahawk on intel is okay-ish, but not even close to what they did on b450/x470


PSU Tier List//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Off Topic//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

 

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

 

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

 

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

 

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

 

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the cheapest board from MSI to have this VRM (same used on all other B450 ATX boards and X470 Gaming Pro/Plus from MSI), which itself is the best among B450 excluding mITX boards. Only things I dont like is the brown PCB and so little feature it's totally barren by ATX standards.


The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

The catch that holds the GPU in the slot?

 

If so, it's not a big deal, we didn't have them years ago.  The GPU is more than fine without it.

 

Is that the only issue you have with the board?

No. The question was whether they will accept the motherboard without it. I'm having all kinds of issues with this motherboard and currently my PC won't even start as I have no HDMI signal (tested with 2 cards). Sometimes when it does work I'd get random shutdowns and the RAM would run at its native speed 40% of the time. A total mess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

the cheapest board from MSI to have this VRM (same used on all other B450 ATX boards and X470 Gaming Pro/Plus from MSI), which itself is the best among B450 excluding mITX boards. Only things I dont like is the brown PCB and so little feature it's totally barren by ATX standards.

Which board are you referring to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IAmAndre said:

No. The question was whether they will accept the motherboard without it. I'm having all kinds of issues with this motherboard and currently my PC won't even start as I have no HDMI signal (tested with 2 cards). Sometimes when it does work I'd get random shutdowns and the RAM would run at its native speed 40% of the time. A total mess.

The clip you broke won't stop them from RMA-ing a truly defective board.  Send it in.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Get a B450 Pro4 or Steel Legends. 

 

Both solid boards for less than 100$

Any link?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Get a B450 Pro4 or Steel Legends. 

 

Both solid boards for less than 100$

Agree, B450 PRO4 is by fare the best IMO, i used this for my partners PC, great MOBO for the price.


My Current Build: PCPartPicker URL My PartPicker Build
 
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X @4.0Ghz| Cooling: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC | Storage Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 | PSU EVGA - B3 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX | Case: Corsair - SPEC-OMEGA RGB ATX Mid | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm | Display Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard Logitech - G613 | Mouse Logitech - G703 | Operating System Windows 10 Pro
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bravo1cc said:

Agree, B450 PRO4 is by fare the best IMO, i used this for my partners PC, great MOBO for the price.

for the price its great. though its not amazing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Thanks. Actually I considered this one but it's not officially compatible with my RAM, whereas the MSI model is. Do you think that the MSI is worse?

the MSI board you pointed to is worse. 

 

and Ram compatiblity is on a CPU basis most of the time, not mobo basis. 

 

note im reffering to the Pro4 and Steel Legend, not the HVD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the MSI board you pointed to is worse. 

 

and Ram compatiblity is on a CPU basis most of the time, not mobo basis. 

  

note im reffering to the Pro4 and Steel Legend, not the HVD

It is mobo dependent as well. All manufacturers list the RAM modules that are compatible with each motherboard, and even the Gigabyte customer support mentioned an incompatibility issue. That said, most of the time it works just fine without the RAM being officially supported.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

It is mobo dependent as well. All manufacturers list the RAM modules that are compatible with each motherboard, and even the Gigabyte customer support mentioned an incompatibility issue. That said, most of the time it works just fine without the RAM being officially supported.

there are 2 ways to wire the dimmslots. 

 

daisychain and paralell. they both have advantages and dissadvantages. 

 

other than that there wont be any difference between the boards. in the end it comes down to the memmory controller on the CPU, which is silicon lottery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@LukeSavenije @Jurrunio @GoldenLag

Alright after many considerations, including shipping fees and availability, I have to pick one of these 3. Which one do you think sucks the less and what's the best bang for the buck (the price includes shipping)?

I have to factor the import fees but I can't tell how much it will be so I'd rather keep the prices low.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

@LukeSavenije @Jurrunio @GoldenLag

Alright after many considerations, including shipping fees and availability, I have to pick one of these 3. Which one do you think sucks the less and what's the best bang for the buck (the price includes shipping)?

I have to factor the import fees but I can't tell how much it will be so I'd rather keep the prices low.

Thanks.

why are you importing?

 

also Bazooka V2. 

 

 

like most of the time it is cheaper to buy local webstores. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×