Game of Thrones S8E5 rant [spoilers]

StarsMars

*breathes in*

Holy shit how god awful is the writing for this season.

Are they intentionally throwing 8 years of story in the garbage just to see people wince?

They could have followed any fan theory and it would have been far better..

I thought episode 3 was unbelievably terrible for the story, but they topped it.

Varys the intelligent spy goes directly to Jon to discuss treason of his Aunt/Queen/Lover who he risked everything for. Smart move. Makes sense.

Never found out what was said to him in the fire.

Dothraki died at the beginning of the battle for winterfell. Magically reappear outside king's landing.

Northern forces/ Unsullied who both decided to fight for the living and the "breaker of chains" are cool with murdering the innocent. Goes against the idea of following Daenerys.

Daenerys' values take a 180 degree turn because she didn't get enough attention at the after party.

Wins the battle. Doesn't go for the red keep. Doesn't go for Cersei. Decides to instead burn living children and some of her own men.

"Mercy is our strength"

Euron survives his fleet being obliterated. Happens to wash ashore unharmed to meet Jamie. No mention of Cersei's baby; how he should have realized it wasn't his.

Lame fight scene that served no real purpose to the story. No Yara. He could have died on the ship. Who cares.

Arya has from the first episode been moving towards being more of a "badass"

Slipped by the Lannister forces right by Tywin. Risked her life to get that dumb little rapier sword. Laughed at her aunt Lysa's death. Left the Hound to die. Becomes a faceless. Killed the Freys. Killed the Night King.

Time to kill Cersei; back to scared little girl.

Magically survives being engulfed in dragon fire that has been exploding solid stone.

Sandor Clegane has been hell bent on killing his brother. It's been eluded to, expected, anticipated and hyped.

He cuts through the kings guard like carving a cake. Chambering, parrying, slashing at and stabbing  the gaps in their armour.

Lets Cersei walk right past him.

One minute later forgets anything he ever knew about swordsmanship. Wild slashes at heavy armour.

No meaningful dialogue from him before the climax of his character arc. Tackles his corpse brother to an unsatisfying or necessary death.

The Mountain Fuck you. Cabbage patch faced, Sloth from the Goonies looking ass.

An obedient corpse goes rouge and kills his creator.

Cheap laugh at best. The fight seemed like an afterthought. Also, was this a 4th actor for that role?

Jamie Lannister finds a way into the red keep that none of the other thousands of people fleeing dragon fire even think to try. None of the other thousands of people, fleeing a burning city, think to go down by the water. 

All to get back to Cersei for one last hug. No redemption. No filled pages in the white book. See ya Brianne.

Cersei Lannister could have just not been portrayed in this episode, wouldn't have made a difference. She just stood there.....

Nothing clever with wildfire. No tricks up her sleeve.

Whimpers with Jame and dies to rubble????

I thought Jofreys' death was lacking. The Night Kings death was deflating. This may have been more wasteful.

What was with the horse at the end? Do they think anyone cares what happens now?

Wild character inconsistency. Established plots thrown away. Chekhov's gun.

I can't see this as anything other than a middle finger to the devoted fans.

I don't believe they could be that oblivious after 8 years.

Could do a whole other list on episode 3.

*breathes out*

I don't necessarily dislike where the story is going but I do agree with a few of your remarks. My main gripe is that they are compacting so much story in these 6 episodes. 

Also both the battles where cool to look at but not as exciting as the LOTR battles which seems like a missed opportunity

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

@CiBi Yep.  HBO should have budgeted for the 10-episode format.  There's just not enough time to develop the plot otherwise.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

For me, three things that bugged me the most

1) One dragon for some reason looks more effective than 3 dragons. And it's beyond me how they couldn't use scorpions that were places in multiple, if not all Ironborn ships, to shoot down the freaking beast. I guess plot armour

2) I get the director's logic for turning Dany crazy. But they needed a lot more episodes to show her sentiment changing rather than rushing it with Missande's death. And even if they were planning to do this, it would've been far more convincing if Dany turns crazy and starts burning everything after Cersei perhaps somehow uses Civilians against Dany with wildfire placed all over the city or something. It was extremely stupid that she just started killing everyone after they peacefully surrendered instead. It made no sense at all and it is a product of lazy writing, no doubt, just like the Night King's death.

3) Jaime! They character develop him into this amazing person in the course of 8 seasons and they throw everything away with his pointless death. Like what the fuck! Don't tell me his entire purpose was to just goto Cersei and die underground while hugging her. It would've made a far compelling story if he was responsible for her death, after say perhaps witnessing her ruthlessness and the fact that Cersei sent Bronn to kill Jaime. So stupid.

Other Titbits:

•  I really thought Arya was dead. Like multiple times. Why? What was the point of us watching her running around the city, basically see her get overwhelmed by the fire, debri and stampede, but then again show her waking up and running. And in the end, there was a unicorn horse waiting for her which was just plain weird.

• I remember having a discussion with a friend on how disappointing the Night King's episode was and how fast it all ended. But he was like they're probably preparing for the main the war, especially when Cersie is known to be extremely cunning and twisted with her methods. But there was absolutely nothing. Did she honestly expect a bunch of ships and army was going to stop the dragon? And really was her only plan for the dragon, that glorified crossbow? It's impossible to understand her confidence before if she had nothing planned. Of course this isn't Lena Headey's fault but the lazy writing.

• Cleagne bowl could've been done few episodes earlier before the battle of Kings Landing (that is if they had decided to stick with 10 episodes, instead of shorting it for now reason). Like it wasn't relevant in anyway to the main battle and Sandor just allows Cersie to pass him. And his death should've been more eventful, instead of him leaping off with his half dead zombified brother

Was the episode bad? Maybe not. But the plot makes no sense and honestly I feel sorry for people who actually think this was a good episode because I have seen far far better writing, especially in animes, like the latest Attack on Titan

A couple of things bugged me.

1. I've been saying for a while that I could picture them doing a mad queen Dany arc. But they needed more time to do it. Like if this had been a full 10 episode or even 8 episode season I'd have less issues with it but the fact of the matter is that they rushed it with Missandei's death turning Dany from slightly threatened by Jon's claim to the throne (which he's told her a load of times he doesn't want in the first place) to full murder hobo burning innocent civilians who are surrendering.
  2. Jaime's ending. I hated the direction they took sending him south. They pissed all over the character development he'd had since the beginning and if they hadn't given him that dumbass death, at the point he was at in his arc, it wouldn't have been a huge stretch to see him take up his seat as Lord of Casterly Rock under Dany or Jon on the Iron Throne.

Most of the issues I've had with this season are mostly due to the lack of episodes when they clearly have enough story to fill more. The abandonment of years worth of character development and the insane amount of plot armour. I don't mind plot armour for a few cool shots now that then but Arya should have been dead a dozen times over in that episode.

All that being said. I didn't hate that episode. I thought it was more of a return to form for the season cause the stakes were higher, the lighting was plentiful, and I honestly have no clue what's going to happen next week. I really wish I didn't have to wait until the Tuesday night to watch it cause I feel like watching it the night before an exam is a really dumbass idea.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||