Ethernet outlets not working

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by BrinkGG,
13 hours ago, babadoctor said:

I don't understand, what does a punchdown block do, and why do I need it anyways?

Does it just connect all of the ethernet cables together?

Okay. I'm gonna throw a lot of information at you. Ask as many questions as you need.

So an ethernet punchdown block looks like the first image below. 

What these do is take the bare wires inside of the cat5e cable and pair them so they will work with a regular patch cable. 

NOTE: You will probably two labels on them, one that will say T568A, and one for T568B. USE T568B. T568A is an old standard.

After this, you will need a switch. to connect all of your patch cables to your modem. These can be as cheap as $20 if you only need 5 ports, but get more expensive depending on how many ports you need. 

You can also use individual connectors for each cable. Those are called keystone connectors. (second image.) You can see the different labeling for T568A and B on the side of this connector as row "A" and row "B" Long story short, line up the 8 small wires with the correct color coding (Blue, White with Blue stripe, Orange, White with Orange stripe, etc) to the "B" layout and you should be good to go.

Please feel free to ask any more questions as you get them. Also if you live in the US, I know for sure there are phone service technicians that also do cat5e networking and could do this for you if you are willing to pay someone and don't want the headache. I'm assuming other countries have the same technicians available. 

IMAGE 1

81AloVdISsL._SL1500_.jpg

IMAGE 2

618o+GGn0+L._SL1200_.jpg

I moved into a new house, and it seems like the ethernet outlets don't seem to be working, and I don't know why!

This is what I think is the place where the ethernet wires meet (along with the cable wires, which work).

https://imgur.com/a/QHaB1E4

Is there any way I can get this thing to work?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

11 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

I moved into a new house, and it seems like the ethernet outlets don't seem to be working, and I don't know why!

This is what I think is the place where the ethernet wires meet (along with the cable wires, which work).

https://imgur.com/a/QHaB1E4

Is there any way I can get this thing to work? I think it's connected to my security system or some shit.

Thanks for the pix, what a mess!  I would personally call your provider and tell them your net is not working and have them come over and check the ethernet cable or cables situation.  Your modem has the lights on so technically it should work.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

10 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Thanks for the pix, what a mess!  I would personally call your provider and tell them your net is not working and have them come over and check the ethernet cable or cables situation.  Your modem has the lights on so technically it should work.

My internet is working, the actual ethernet ports installed with my house are not

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

That would be a phone punchdown block. That's not gonna get internet anywhere. You'll need a new punchdown block with RJ45 connectors. 

Look on the sleeving of the cables. Does it say cat5, cat5e or something else? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

2 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

That would be a phone punchdown block. That's not gonna get internet anywhere. You'll need a new punchdown block with RJ45 connectors. 

Look on the sleeving of the cables. Does it say cat5, cat5e or something else? 

It says cat5e

23 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

It says cat5e

Perfect! And can you send a photo of the back of your modem? There's a good chance all you will need to buy is an rj45 punch down block and some Cat5e patch cables. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, Brink2Three said:

Perfect! And can you send a photo of the back of your modem? There's a good chance all you will need to buy is an rj45 punch down block and some Cat5e patch cables. 

The back of which modem? The modem I took a picture of isn't for internet I don't think; it's a telephone modem

My internet modem is connected via cable, and it's upstairs

IMG_3802.jpg

Yeah, you'll need a punchdown block, or get a keystone patch panel and use keystone couplers.It seems you have the cables ran, but they aren't terminated at all.

You'll also need a router and a network switch to plug all the ports into.

6 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, you'll need a punchdown block, or get a keystone patch panel and use keystone couplers.It seems you have the cables ran, but they aren't terminated at all.

You'll also need a router and a network switch to plug all the ports into.

I don't understand, what does a punchdown block do, and why do I need it anyways?

Okay. I'm gonna throw a lot of information at you. Ask as many questions as you need.

So an ethernet punchdown block looks like the first image below. 

What these do is take the bare wires inside of the cat5e cable and pair them so they will work with a regular patch cable. 

NOTE: You will probably two labels on them, one that will say T568A, and one for T568B. USE T568B. T568A is an old standard.

After this, you will need a switch. to connect all of your patch cables to your modem. These can be as cheap as $20 if you only need 5 ports, but get more expensive depending on how many ports you need. 

You can also use individual connectors for each cable. Those are called keystone connectors. (second image.) You can see the different labeling for T568A and B on the side of this connector as row "A" and row "B" Long story short, line up the 8 small wires with the correct color coding (Blue, White with Blue stripe, Orange, White with Orange stripe, etc) to the "B" layout and you should be good to go.

Please feel free to ask any more questions as you get them. Also if you live in the US, I know for sure there are phone service technicians that also do cat5e networking and could do this for you if you are willing to pay someone and don't want the headache. I'm assuming other countries have the same technicians available. 

IMAGE 1

81AloVdISsL._SL1500_.jpg

IMAGE 2

618o+GGn0+L._SL1200_.jpg

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

17 hours ago, babadoctor said:

You have to convert the bare wire (the blue wires in your house) into a connector the PC can use for internet (RJ45). You use punchdowns to do this. Wire is punched into terminals on a punchdown block or keystone, and turns it into a RJ45 port (shown above).

The other alternative method is to terminate male RJ45 jacks on the end of the bare cable and use keystone couplers. More labor intensive, but the connection is stronger (At least my luck with punchdowns even with a tool hasn't been the greatest).

image.png.bd648ea9249aee3dc8ad0f7c505b5295.png

All of these ends would be connected using patch cables to a switch, which then connects to a router, and finally connects to your modem.

On 5/5/2019 at 12:40 PM, babadoctor said:

If it were me Id get a patch panel. 

On 5/5/2019 at 12:40 PM, babadoctor said:

You cant just connect all the cables together. In order to do this you need a switch. What most people do is either install rj45 jacks on the wires and connect those directly to the switch or they buy a patch panel and connect the wires to that. A patch panel will basically have a bunch of Ethernet ports on one said and a place to wire these wires up on the other. You would connect an Ethernet cable from the patch panel to a switch and that will get communication going. 

On 5/5/2019 at 1:55 AM, babadoctor said:

My internet modem is connected via cable, and it's upstairs

Well if you want to share internet they you need to have a connection from your gateway (Modem/Router) going to the place where all your wires are, because thats the only way your going to get internet through out the house. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Basically, if all those cables are hooked up to a Switch you can simply connect your router to one of the existing sockets (assuming there is one in that location) and it will then go via the central Switch to every ethernet port.  Although people usually prefer to have the router in the same central location as the switch, its not essential.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Wow, thank you all for the information! I'm going to go down and respond to all of the posts

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I was planning to move my router downstairs where the cable is once I fixed this (there is an ethernet jack where my router is)

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Oh I see! I have heard of an ethernet switch before. 

14 hours ago, scottyseng said:

You have to convert the bare wire (the blue wires in your house) into a connector the PC can use for internet (RJ45). You use punchdowns to do this

Oh.... I see...

17 hours ago, Brink2Three said:

This is really informative!

The punchdown block seems really simple; the wires are color coded, so I assume I just connect them to their colors and it will work? The issue arises where it's a big mess of wires. >_< I don't need to pay 300$ for a technician to do that lol

Would something like this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Wallmount-Ethernet-N050-012/dp/B000067SC6/ 

Thanks so much guys!

@Brink2Three

Another question for you:

For some very odd reason, one of the ethernet panels seems to be connected to another ethernet panel somewhere else in the house. I tested this and I got above 100mbps speeds (500mbps).

Does that mean that those two ethernet panels are ruined, and the contractor who installed it messed it up? Or is it possible that they daisy chained it somehow?

is it even possible to daisy chain ethernet? I'm so confused now :/ :/ :/ 

There are 7 ethernet ports in my house, and 7 blue twisty cables in that bundle.

Two ports are connected to each other, but there are still 7 ethernet cords there??????

My house also has coax and telephone lines (many more of these), hinted by the telephone punch down block over there

Wow, thank you all for the information! I'm going to go down and respond to all of the posts

I was planning to move my router downstairs where the cable is once I fixed this (there is an ethernet jack where my router is)

Oh I see! I have heard of an ethernet switch before. 

Oh.... I see...

This is really informative!

The punchdown block seems really simple; the wires are color coded, so I assume I just connect them to their colors and it will work? The issue arises where it's a big mess of wires. >_< I don't need to pay 300$ for a technician to do that lol

Would something like this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Wallmount-Ethernet-N050-012/dp/B000067SC6/ 

Thanks so much guys!

Yes That's actually better then the one I was recommending. :P Gonna save that one to the Amazon wishlist of recommendations.

12 hours ago, babadoctor said:

@Brink2Three

For some very odd reason, one of the ethernet panels seems to be connected to another ethernet panel somewhere else in the house. I tested this and I got above 100mbps speeds (500mbps).

Does that mean that those two ethernet panels are ruined, and the contractor who installed it messed it up? Or is it possible that they daisy chained it somehow?

There are 7 ethernet ports in my house, and 7 blue twisty cables in that bundle.

Two ports are connected to each other, but there are still 7 ethernet cords there??????

My house also has coax and telephone lines (many more of these), hinted by the telephone punch down block over there

So Cat5e is 1,000mbps, but if you only use two pairs (4 wires) of the 8 inside a cat5e cable, you get cat5 speeds, which is 100mbps. My guess is there's 2 or 4 wires from that cable that is not connected to the jack on the wall. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

17 hours ago, babadoctor said:

@Brink2Three

That's a good question.  No you can't daisy chain, so it seems those two are directly wired to each other.  Its going to take some investigation by yourself to figure out what those two cables are, if they aren't connected to those sockets.

It could be they just disconnected them at the back of the sockets and ran another cable directly between the two?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 5/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

It could be they just disconnected them at the back of the sockets and ran another cable directly between the two?

I really, really hope it's this and I don't need to fish a wire through the walls, but upon unscrewing one of the sockets I could not find evidence of a second cable somewhere in there.

But it's odd, because there are 7 ethernet sockets in my house (including the ones that supposedly don't go downstairs), and there are 7 CAT5e cables down stairs.

You know, I *could* unscrew the useless coaxial cable in the bypassed ethernet panel (the one we are discussing is attached to only another panel) and attach it to an ethernet cable, and just pull it down to the patch panel all the way down... could I actually do this?

Is it standard for fished coaxial or Cat5 telephone cable wires to be nailed to anything inside of the house? ?

I really don't need them

That's a good question and I do not know.  Ideally you'd use conduit so you can replace it if it fails, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are stapled.  Only way to know is to try.