raid controler

//Solved

got a dell r620

with 2 intel octa core xeon e5-2660 2.2ghz

128gb ddr3 ecc reg

4 x 1.2 TB hdd sas

raid controler

Hello fellow tipsters,

I want to get a new server, my budget is 2500 USD, maximum 2800 USD. I literally dont know what i need, as i am out of touch with parts from servers.

The main things i will do on it is to host my website, host my videos that i will shoot with the BM camera, and upload those videos to my own website, where people will access it.

Also what is the best to, "render" the videos on the server or on the pc ? 

thank you 

beside what has been asked, do you have a connection that is able to handle this kind of files transfers?

depending on what kind of video you want to upload and how many people should access it at the same time even 100mbit/s upload might not be enough.

2011-3 dual xeons and motherboards are pretty affordable and have nvme boot support. video rendering is mostly multicore loads to my knowledge.

maybe a pair of 2699v3?

Depending on the bandwidth, your ISP might not like this idea very much.  My suggestion would be the build a rendering machine and then get a hosting plan at something like Hostinger, that will run the site and host the videos.  Or, if you are just sharing videos, go with a rendering machine, a simple hosting plan, and have your website link to the videos on Youtube.

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how much storage?

What program do you use for video rendering?

Do you want tower or rack? Does noise and power usage matter to you?

1. i dont know, a lot, the bigger is better, i can probably trow some of my personal money into it too, but not that many

2. Something that works with black magic design cameras (aka i dont know yet, i am waiting recommendations )

3. Dosent matter yet / And Noise yes, power usage not really. For noise i will probably build a separate room for the server and soundproof it. As i will record my videos in 1 room.

18 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

beside what has been asked, do you have a connection that is able to handle this kind of files transfers?

depending on what kind of video you want to upload and how many people should access it at the same time even 100mbit/s upload might not be enough.

I will have 850 / 400 Mbps connection. And probably later will sign for a 1gbs one.

17 hours ago, mineblaster said:

2011-3 dual xeons and motherboards are pretty affordable and have nvme boot support. video rendering is mostly multicore loads to my knowledge.

maybe a pair of 2699v3?

Alright, do i need video cards? What PSU i need?

24 minutes ago, DeaconFrost said:

Depending on the bandwidth, your ISP might not like this idea very much.  My suggestion would be the build a rendering machine and then get a hosting plan at something like Hostinger, that will run the site and host the videos.  Or, if you are just sharing videos, go with a rendering machine, a simple hosting plan, and have your website link to the videos on Youtube.

I dont want that. I will have 850 / 400 Mbps (that costs 10$ a month with unlimited traffic) , and later sign for a 1gbs connection with my ISP. I dont want to host my videos to you tube even tho i can unlist the videos they can be shared by the users. So is a nono. And the videos will be interactive. More or less, as i build my own player already. 

1000w powersupply for good measure and may be an 1080ti if you can or an rtx 2080.

Just now, mineblaster said:

1000w powersupply for good measure and may be an 1080ti if you can or an rtx 2080.

Thank you. I will take it in consideration!

10 minutes ago, BogdanS said:

Thank you. I will take it in consideration!

no problem

18 minutes ago, mineblaster said:

this is not good advice, we dont even know what software he uses and if it even supports GPU encoding especially on remote GPU´s so suggesting a GPU for the server at this point doesnt really make sense.

17 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

this is not good advice, we dont even know what software he uses and if it even supports GPU encoding especially on remote GPU´s so suggesting a GPU for the server at this point doesnt really make sense.

as far as i can guess most likely the davinci resolve that comes that comes black magic cinema camera.

it looks like an early endeavor and the op is looking for recommendations all around time being

Just to cover all the bases: Do you have a static IP adress? Hosting your own services (read: website) on a dynamic IP adress can work, isn't really great though

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

got a dell r620 so problem solved ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

with 2 intel octa core xeon e5-2660 2.2ghz

128gb ddr3 ecc reg

4 x 1.2 TB hdd sas

raid controler