They put an i9 in THIS?? - AsRock DeskMini Review

3 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

<snip>

Thanks for the non-clickbait title!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just why? The price would probably be significantly lower to people like me who want these chips if AsRock etc wasn;t slamming them into stupid setups....

26 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

Just why? The price would probably be significantly lower to people like me who want these chips if AsRock etc wasn;t slamming them into stupid setups....

Because deskmini are smaller than anything yiu could build with an mITX board?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Can we appreciate how well done this is? Like, there's no extra fluff and no extra shoved down your throat jokes or anything like that. It's short, sweet, and to the point. It went by quickly, but was also very informative at the same time. He presented it very well, imo.

Just now, Jurrunio said:

Because deskmini are smaller than anything yiu could build with an mITX board?

Why would I put a 9900k in an mITX board? Its a 9900k, i wanna overclock it....

29 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

Why would I put a 9900k in an mITX board? Its a 9900k, i wanna overclock it....

Because they want it to be small? Otherwise they wont be looking at the Deskmini and say "yes I want my 8 core to throttle in that"

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Because they want it to be small? Otherwise they wont be looking at the Deskmini and say "yes I want my 8 core to throttle in that"

Irony.

Under this 65w rated noctua cooler is a 95w 9900k....

Then shows us it getting "toasty" 8 mins or so into a stress test and its still going up.

1 hour ago, Benjeh said:

Irony.

Then shows us it getting "toasty" 8 mins or so into a stress test and its still going up.

I think the point of it is to compete with the Mac Mini. The Mac Mini thermal throttles right away, killing performance. This does not seem to thermal throttle, as per the video. Regardless of the fact that it has a better, newer CPU, that alone is a huge reason to consider the Desk Mini over the Mac Mini. Though I must agree, seeing a B-roll shot of a short test is off-putting, I do imagine they tested it far more extensively than that. They may not have been filming the test, thus the secondary footage was shot. They probably showed us what they did, as it may not go higher than that (my guess anyway).

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I think the point of it is to compete with the Mac Mini. The Mac Mini thermal throttles right away, killing performance. This does not seem to thermal throttle, as per the video. Regardless of the fact that it has a better, newer CPU, that alone is a huge reason to consider the Desk Mini over the Mac Mini. Though I must agree, seeing a B-roll shot of a short test is off-putting, I do imagine they tested it far more extensively than that.

vid is just as full of contradictions as the product within it.

4 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

vid is just as full of contradictions as the product within it.

As I said, I agree there's some off-putting footage. But knowing LTT they more than likely slapped it with tests and if it thermal throttled, they'd've told us. You don't have to like the product, they're not trying to sell us on it. Just try and understand that there's a minimalistic market that these things target. That and people with very, very limited desk space. It's not got your interest because it's not targeted towards you - you're not in the market for one. That's fine, but other people are, so you don't have shoot it down like you're pheasant hunting.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

As I said, I agree there's some off-putting footage. But knowing LTT they more than likely slapped it with tests and if it thermal throttled, they'd've told us. You don't have to like the product, they're not trying to sell us on it. Just try and understand that there's a minimalistic market that these things target. That and people with very, very limited desk space. It's not got your interest because it's not targeted towards you - you're not in the market for one. That's fine, but other people are, so you don't have shoot it down like you're pheasant hunting.

I'm shooting it down because I'm entitled to put my opinion here just as much as you are, the product contains parts im interested in ie 9900k, the thing that bothers me is they've been paid to do the review and at one point claim its silent then the next claim it sounds like a jet engine, if it was extensively tested then show us that footage, not b roll of it 9 mins into a test claiming it won't throttle, because if someone buys it based on the review and its throttling an hour into their workflow, its misleading.

You might not think this is an issue but linus and the gang have done this before with the whole delidding video a few years back claiming is completely pointless and tell people not to do it as a result of botched testing, they do it all the time now.... This is one of many reasons i question what they put out.

The cooler has a thermal rating which is lower than the thermal rating on the CPU, yet when i looked for more information i couldn;t find any, granted it was a fast scan of their site, so if what they say is true... it will throttle when the test starts getting into it. According to noctua's site the nearest cooler i can find like the one in the video says compatible but no overclocking and no boost clock headroom, so is it at 80c+ with zero boost? it opens up so many more questions and I feel like its intentionally misleading, just like their original delid video was.

Goin back to putting a 9900k in that tiny box, beyond pointless.

2 hours ago, Benjeh said:

I'm shooting it down because I'm entitled to put my opinion here just as much as you are, the product contains parts im interested in ie 9900k, the thing that bothers me is they've been paid to do the review and at one point claim its silent then the next claim it sounds like a jet engine, if it was extensively tested then show us that footage, not b roll of it 9 mins into a test claiming it won't throttle, because if someone buys it based on the review and its throttling an hour into their workflow, its misleading.

You might not think this is an issue but linus and the gang have done this before with the whole delidding video a few years back claiming is completely pointless and tell people not to do it as a result of botched testing, they do it all the time now.... This is one of many reasons i question what they put out.

The cooler has a thermal rating which is lower than the thermal rating on the CPU, yet when i looked for more information i couldn;t find any, granted it was a fast scan of their site, so if what they say is true... it will throttle when the test starts getting into it. According to noctua's site the nearest cooler i can find like the one in the video says compatible but no overclocking and no boost clock headroom, so is it at 80c+ with zero boost? it opens up so many more questions and I feel like its intentionally misleading, just like their original delid video was.

Goin back to putting a 9900k in that tiny box, beyond pointless.

-Silent under CPU loads, you can run a render for an hour and it's barely audible.  It gets loud during gaming because the GPU fan isn't amazing.

-Not paid to review the product

-It holds the clocks right around the 3.6GHz no matter how long you stress the CPU.

-Delidding got easier and the processors consume more power so it makes more sense now. Except for soldered chips like this one

-If you want to do content creation and have a small computer it's awesome.  CPU performs within Intel's spec.  If you want the max performance out of the chip then get something bigger.

7 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

-Silent under CPU loads, you can run a render for an hour and it's barely audible.  It gets loud during gaming because the GPU fan isn't amazing.

-Not paid to review the product

-It holds the clocks right around the 3.6GHz no matter how long you stress the CPU.

-Delidding got easier and the processors consume more power so it makes more sense now. Except for soldered chips like this one

-If you want to do content creation and have a small computer it's awesome.  CPU performs within Intel's spec.  If you want the max performance out of the chip then get something bigger.

- Fair enough

- fair enough

- So correct in my assumption of no boost clock

- Delidding at that time was made easy with de8auer releasing his first all acetal delid tool, many other 3d printed tools had been aroun for a substantial amount of time before your video surfaced, you chose to delid it with a knife and shockingly at that.

- thanks for proving my original point.

image.png.d88e5a589f6036b3cd2356819e907d12.png

image.png.0f1851ad262535fde4bf17e04d9e62f1.png

Pics added for illustration purposes.

Interesting… So the review says the DeskMini with a little lower specs would be preferred than the MacMini but instead of buying 2 DeskMinis and installing a 10gb ethernet card the LMG choice was to buy 2 MacMinis - and we all know LMG position regarding Apple so buying not one but TWO MacMinis says a lot…

1 hour ago, caincha said:

Interesting… So the review says the DeskMini with a little lower specs would be preferred than the MacMini but instead of buying 2 DeskMinis and installing a 10gb ethernet card the LMG choice was to buy 2 MacMinis - and we all know LMG position regarding Apple so buying not one but TWO MacMinis says a lot…

They said there’s a few programs that they use which require macOS. So they use macs sometimes.

anyways this Pc was VERY cool. I was trying to build a mitx system because I wanted a small as possible set up and then see this with a integrated gpu. Fml. Time to sell my “old” components. “Ryzen 5, Asrock board and 600w sfx psu.

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

there's a community out there who're interested in an i9 9900K in a deskmini. they WILL tell you if you want the full performance of less effort you'll need something bigger ._.

if you haven't caught on the SFF enthusiast bent of the argument yet.

No worries pal

13 hours ago, Srius1 said:

They said there’s a few programs that they use which require macOS. So they use macs sometimes.

They could Hackintosh it or VM it. My point is there's a reason image/video/audio professionals would prefer to use a Mac - their merch designer guy have an iMac - and it is because it works better in those scenarios.

I would like to see a video in which one of his editors would LEARN and use a Mac for video editing - for real, not just to bash Apple as they like to do. I would wager they could be more productive using the same Adobe Premiere but on a Mac (with high specs, c'mon…).

For gaming? By all means build your own rig, heck have fun doing it because it is A LOT of fun and you will learn A LOT as well!

But for work? Do and try an Apple desktop. Not a MacBook as those haven't been a real Pro in a while and only fanboys would have those (I mean thermal throttle? Feck that!) but a desktop can do a very good job in image/video/audio editing.

(Also that new Microsoft AIO that I forgot if it's called Surface or whatever. That thing is beautiful and carries a very good punch but for the sake of argument let's stay with Apple)

Thing is it's 'cool' to bash Apple, it's baity to put Apple in the description (Linus said so himself) but when it comes to real world use Macs are really good machines and it has been shown they're also good value for money hardware-wise so why all the hate…?

I can like a music or a movie even if the artist is an awful human being. As long as they're good at what they do I'll still enjoy it after all it's not like I have to be friends with them…

I'm getting one! With a 9900k. This is my next media center pc.
I wish it had 10GbE tough. Have to consider a usb-10GbE thingy.

20 hours ago, caincha said:

They could Hackintosh it or VM it. My point is there's a reason image/video/audio professionals would prefer to use a Mac - their merch designer guy have an iMac - and it is because it works better in those scenarios.

I would like to see a video in which one of his editors would LEARN and use a Mac for video editing - for real, not just to bash Apple as they like to do. I would wager they could be more productive using the same Adobe Premiere but on a Mac (with high specs, c'mon…).

For gaming? By all means build your own rig, heck have fun doing it because it is A LOT of fun and you will learn A LOT as well!

But for work? Do and try an Apple desktop. Not a MacBook as those haven't been a real Pro in a while and only fanboys would have those (I mean thermal throttle? Feck that!) but a desktop can do a very good job in image/video/audio editing.

(Also that new Microsoft AIO that I forgot if it's called Surface or whatever. That thing is beautiful and carries a very good punch but for the sake of argument let's stay with Apple)

Thing is it's 'cool' to bash Apple, it's baity to put Apple in the description (Linus said so himself) but when it comes to real world use Macs are really good machines and it has been shown they're also good value for money hardware-wise so why all the hate…?

I can like a music or a movie even if the artist is an awful human being. As long as they're good at what they do I'll still enjoy it after all it's not like I have to be friends with them…

I don’t get you to be honest. Adobe premiere and any Mac / pc video editing program do the same thing. I don’t think one is that much better than the other. 

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

23 hours ago, Srius1 said:

I don’t get you to be honest. Adobe premiere and any Mac / pc video editing program do the same thing. I don’t think one is that much better than the other. 

It has better (quicker?) interface with other machines - servers for instance.

And ease of use which would translate in better productivity - in my experience (admittedly amateur) the same software runs smoother on MacOS than Windows even MS Office. And I don't even know how the Apple software (Final Cut Pro in this case) would fare against Adobe Premiere which is my honest reason to propose said review and find out how Adobe Premiere would be productivity-wise in both platforms…

The only software that I remember was a bit clunky in MacOS is AutoCAD but that was 8 to 10 years ago with OSX 10.6 so it might have changed…

On 4/23/2019 at 6:58 PM, caincha said:

It has better (quicker?) interface with other machines - servers for instance.

And ease of use which would translate in better productivity - in my experience (admittedly amateur) the same software runs smoother on MacOS than Windows even MS Office. And I don't even know how the Apple software (Final Cut Pro in this case) would fare against Adobe Premiere which is my honest reason to propose said review and find out how Adobe Premiere would be productivity-wise in both platforms…

The only software that I remember was a bit clunky in MacOS is AutoCAD but that was 8 to 10 years ago with OSX 10.6 so it might have changed…

Ease of use is relative. What ever you know how to use is easy to use. My point is...1 program isn’t that much better than the other. 

Does anyone know when and where this will be available?

This is just ridiculous.  No need for an i9 in a device like this.  Didn't even bother to watch the video due to it's ridiculousness.