Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoshB2084

(Warning!) That's dumb internet speed question I asking....

Posted · Original PosterOP

We  paying Comcast's 150/10  internet package every months. I use FAST.com and Speedtest.net to checking my internet speed, noticed my speed actually faster (170-180 Mbps) than advertise. How I got 20-30 Mbps more than my advertised internet speed? 

CPU:AMD A4-3400|Motherboard:Asus F1A55-M LE R2.0|Memory:G.Skill NS and  Kingston(combo) 4GB DDR3-1333|Storage 1:WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD|Storage 2:WD Black 1TB HDD|Case:Foxconn TS-001|Samsung DVD-RW|OS:MS W7(64-bit)

Basically the above: there's usually a bit of overhead with better packages to try to guarantee your intended speeds even in busy hours.

I normally get around 115Mbps down and up even though we pay for 100 here.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

ISPs can offer burst rates or off-hour rates when bandwidth is available. 

23 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

They often give a little overhead on top of rated speeds to make sure they don't dip too far during busier hours.

Ah I see. That's interest. Thanks for answer my question...

CPU:AMD A4-3400|Motherboard:Asus F1A55-M LE R2.0|Memory:G.Skill NS and  Kingston(combo) 4GB DDR3-1333|Storage 1:WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD|Storage 2:WD Black 1TB HDD|Case:Foxconn TS-001|Samsung DVD-RW|OS:MS W7(64-bit)

20 hours ago, JoshB2084 said:

We  paying Comcast's 150/10  internet package every months. I use FAST.com and Speedtest.net to checking my internet speed, noticed my speed actually faster (170-180 Mbps) than advertise. How I got 20-30 Mbps more than my advertised internet speed? 

Comcast over provisions service by 20% in most area's. As long as the node your connected to has the bandwidth available. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

i think it is the differ betwent hard ware limit  likg a gig coneciton and sofware limit like thre is no 150 or 300 or 500 only 100 a gig or more in network equement