Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XVB

The q300L is Noisy

Posted · Original PosterOP

The Q300L from cooler Master is noisy isnt it? the fans area dead quite, but because the air needs to get through small perforated holes there is quite some air turbulence. has anyone else experience this? and has any one have any luck with a solution. I'm going to try and just cutting the steel around the intake fans.

Reduce the fan RPM? That's a much simpler solution...

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

How fast are your fans running?

𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂𝓪

Just now, seon123 said:

Reduce the fan RPM? That's a much simpler solution...

I tried it took the fans to just around 20% speed, and I get weak air flow, I'm air cooled BTW. I noticed it after moving my fans from my old case and started getting these awful noises that never happened before unless I was using 100% speed.

8 minutes ago, XVB said:

I tried it took the fans to just around 20% speed, and I get weak air flow, I'm air cooled BTW. I noticed it after moving my fans from my old case and started getting these awful noises that never happened before unless I was using 100% speed.

What does air cooling have to do with anything? Look at your temperatures. I also use air cooling, and all my case fans run at <500RPM, with no measurable temperature issues. 

-Stephen Hawking

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

my temps rose by 10 degrees and its just a shame they can't ramp up like they used to.

1 minute ago, XVB said:

my temps rose by 10 degrees and its just a shame they can't ramp up like they used to.

So? The temperatures don't necessarily matter at all. 

-Stephen Hawking

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

1 hour ago, XVB said:

The Q300L from cooler Master is noisy isnt it? the fans area dead quite, but because the air needs to get through small perforated holes there is quite some air turbulence. has anyone else experience this? and has any one have any luck with a solution. I'm going to try and just cutting the steel around the intake fans.

Yes everyone will have this issue with the cooler master Q300L and the newer Q500L. Those holes are are terrible for airflow and an awful design choice as a whole. The same fan will blow more air and make less noise in a proper fan mount with honeycomb cutouts. If this entire case was honeycombed instead of holes it would be a pretty awesome case. They would probably need to use thicker steel but still....

I'd just sell it but if you're set on keeping this case you might need to go with the old school hole saw + wire grill solution. Just make sure that's where you want the fan mounted if you do this.

old article related to this topic : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Effects-of-Grill-Patterns-on-Fan-Performance-Noise-107/

14 hours ago, bleu said:

Yes everyone will have this issue with the cooler master Q300L and the newer Q500L. Those holes are are terrible for airflow and an awful design choice as a whole. The same fan will blow more air and make less noise in a proper fan mount with honeycomb cutouts. If this entire case was honeycombed instead of holes it would be a pretty awesome case. They would probably need to use thicker steel but still....

I'd just sell it but if you're set on keeping this case you might need to go with the old school hole saw + wire grill solution. Just make sure that's where you want the fan mounted if you do this.

old article related to this topic : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Effects-of-Grill-Patterns-on-Fan-Performance-Noise-107/

I would sell it but, I don't know to who. And i kinda like it except for the noise

15 hours ago, seon123 said:

So? The temperatures don't necessarily matter at all. 

yeah but still, it feels disapointing

On 4/15/2019 at 11:41 AM, XVB said:

Those fears were the reason I went with the Thermaltake Versa H18 TG for Blue Build 2018 over the Q300L. 

My suggestion would not be to cut the whole thing in a 120mm hole per fan, but rather leave an x or a cross (or reinforce the 120mm hole later with a thick grill) since the material is so thin, removing a good 30% of it will significantly weaken the front panel.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

ok so I just finished cutting it open, and it is awsome, and frankly it isn't even seakend in any way, and I've given it pretty big holes. Now the case is silent and cool, I got around 6 degrees C of now on the same noise level. and I have no issue with it reving up now, it is still quiet enough not to bother me anymore.