The q300L is Noisy

XVB

The Q300L from cooler Master is noisy isnt it? the fans area dead quite, but because the air needs to get through small perforated holes there is quite some air turbulence. has anyone else experience this? and has any one have any luck with a solution. I'm going to try and just cutting the steel around the intake fans.

Just now, seon123 said:

Reduce the fan RPM? That's a much simpler solution...

I tried it took the fans to just around 20% speed, and I get weak air flow, I'm air cooled BTW. I noticed it after moving my fans from my old case and started getting these awful noises that never happened before unless I was using 100% speed.

8 minutes ago, XVB said:

I tried it took the fans to just around 20% speed, and I get weak air flow, I'm air cooled BTW. I noticed it after moving my fans from my old case and started getting these awful noises that never happened before unless I was using 100% speed.

What does air cooling have to do with anything? Look at your temperatures. I also use air cooling, and all my case fans run at <500RPM, with no measurable temperature issues. 

:)

my temps rose by 10 degrees and its just a shame they can't ramp up like they used to.

1 minute ago, XVB said:

my temps rose by 10 degrees and its just a shame they can't ramp up like they used to.

So? The temperatures don't necessarily matter at all. 

:)

1 hour ago, XVB said:

The Q300L from cooler Master is noisy isnt it? the fans area dead quite, but because the air needs to get through small perforated holes there is quite some air turbulence. has anyone else experience this? and has any one have any luck with a solution. I'm going to try and just cutting the steel around the intake fans.

Yes everyone will have this issue with the cooler master Q300L and the newer Q500L. Those holes are are terrible for airflow and an awful design choice as a whole. The same fan will blow more air and make less noise in a proper fan mount with honeycomb cutouts. If this entire case was honeycombed instead of holes it would be a pretty awesome case. They would probably need to use thicker steel but still....

I'd just sell it but if you're set on keeping this case you might need to go with the old school hole saw + wire grill solution. Just make sure that's where you want the fan mounted if you do this.

old article related to this topic : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Effects-of-Grill-Patterns-on-Fan-Performance-Noise-107/

14 hours ago, bleu said:

Yes everyone will have this issue with the cooler master Q300L and the newer Q500L. Those holes are are terrible for airflow and an awful design choice as a whole. The same fan will blow more air and make less noise in a proper fan mount with honeycomb cutouts. If this entire case was honeycombed instead of holes it would be a pretty awesome case. They would probably need to use thicker steel but still....

I'd just sell it but if you're set on keeping this case you might need to go with the old school hole saw + wire grill solution. Just make sure that's where you want the fan mounted if you do this.

old article related to this topic : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Effects-of-Grill-Patterns-on-Fan-Performance-Noise-107/

I would sell it but, I don't know to who. And i kinda like it except for the noise

15 hours ago, seon123 said:

So? The temperatures don't necessarily matter at all. 

yeah but still, it feels disapointing

On 4/15/2019 at 11:41 AM, XVB said:

Those fears were the reason I went with the Thermaltake Versa H18 TG for Blue Build 2018 over the Q300L. 

My suggestion would not be to cut the whole thing in a 120mm hole per fan, but rather leave an x or a cross (or reinforce the 120mm hole later with a thick grill) since the material is so thin, removing a good 30% of it will significantly weaken the front panel.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Gamersnexus just reviewed the bigger Q500L if you want real data showing how awful those holes are for airflow.

ok so I just finished cutting it open, and it is awsome, and frankly it isn't even seakend in any way, and I've given it pretty big holes. Now the case is silent and cool, I got around 6 degrees C of now on the same noise level. and I have no issue with it reving up now, it is still quiet enough not to bother me anymore.

I have the Q300L and the case fan is LOUD.

Post pics of the case you cut open! What tools did you use?