AC600 Wireless POS

NickToye

Ok,

This is my current setup, it may and probably will change when I get around to it.

I have a Sky Router in my lounge, I have 2 bands as standard.  Both tend to give me a paltry download speed of 12-13mbs (Fibre is coming, one day).

I have my PC in my garage at the moment, and I have a AC600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter.  Which won't connect consistently, when it does its very slow, like less than 1mb.  I have my iPhone in the same room, I run a speedtest on that and I get around 10mbs download.  So what the hell?  What can I do? Or is just a fact that these USB wireless adapters are quite simply a POS?

12 hours ago, NickToye said:

What can I do? Or is just a fact that these USB wireless adapters are quite simply a POS?

Yes they are big piles of horse shit. PCI Express cards tend to do better. But it also comes down to physical distance from the router and what types of materials are in between. 2.4 Ghz is built for distance but lacks speed and 5 Ghz is built for speed but lacks range and penetration power.  Other alternatives include Power line adapters (Use the electrical wires in your walls) or Moca adapters (Use coax). Power line adapters work but depending on distance between devices, as in the path that wire takes and such and the quality of wiring in the walls it MIGHT work. Moca adapters use coax and will co exist on the same coax used by the cable company, but these can be more involved in setup and are quite expensive, like $160+ USD for a pair. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have like 2 walls in between me and the router.  I may actually plump for getting another network port just wired directly into my garage. 

Or I may go for the Powerline option.