Rant about my router

DarkAcid1212

My R7000 sucks. Well wait, it was a beast when I got it, but somehow Netgear made it crap. In last two years, I was not able to get a single stable firmware that can do what routers supposed to do. The only stable(but with security problem) firmware version is .28. Most ppl opted for .42 but it does come with the security issue. Does anyone have router recommendation? (For coming black friday)

AdvancedTomato is another good one, which is what I run on my R7000.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

18 hours ago, DarkAcid1212 said:

My R7000 sucks. Well wait, it was a beast when I got it, but somehow Netgear made it crap. In last two years, I was not able to get a single stable firmware that can do what routers supposed to do. The only stable(but with security problem) firmware version is .28. Most ppl opted for .42 but it does come with the security issue. Does anyone have router recommendation? (For coming black friday)

I second @SupaKomputa and @RAS_3885 3rd party firmware could very well be the answer and it will save you money. DDWRT is a good firmware, but its kinda advanced and setup can be a little difficult. Just make sure if you decided on DDWRT that you go to their fourm and you read the peacock thread. I know it has a funny name, but it has all the instructions you need to install the firmware properly. For example on my Dlink DIR835 I had to install a old ass version of the firmware before I could install the latest one. 

Ive never used Tomato, but I have heard good things. Id at least try a 3rd party firmware before buy a new router. Though if push comes to shove, I really like my Synology RT2600AC. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thank you! I don't know why my response hasn't been posted but I am currently using DDWRT. This actually comes with its own problems too. Slow support aside, my wifi drop randomly if there is 7 or more devices are connected. It also requires to restart every so often in a matter of days. I haven't tried advanced tomato. I will check this out and thank you again for your recommendation on Synology RT2600AC.

5 minutes ago, DarkAcid1212 said:

Thank you! I don't know why my response hasn't been posted but I am currently using DDWRT. This actually comes with its own problems too. Slow support aside, my wifi drop randomly if there is 7 or more devices are connected. It also requires to restart every so often in a matter of days. I haven't tried advanced tomato. I will check this out and thank you again for your recommendation on Synology RT2600AC.

If you have any way to actively cool the router that might help. DDWRT made my router run hot as hell. I used a laptop cooler I had laying around and plugged it in to the routers USB port. Found it ran much cooler. The lack of support is why I choose to buy a new router. Because I was not sure when DDWRT was going to update the firmware due to the security issues found in WPA 2 last year or so. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/4/2019 at 10:12 PM, DarkAcid1212 said:

Huh, weird, my R7000 works fine. Granted, I never run factory firmware on it - I have Advanced Tomato and it works well. It is aging though, and eventually will need to be replaced with something else in the near future. Seriously considering going with something from Ubiquiti Networks instead.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

If you have any way to actively cool the router that might help. DDWRT made my router run hot as hell. I used a laptop cooler I had laying around and plugged it in to the routers USB port. Found it ran much cooler. The lack of support is why I choose to buy a new router. Because I was not sure when DDWRT was going to update the firmware due to the security issues found in WPA 2 last year or so. 

Same... when I ran my R7000 as a primary router, I used a laptop cooler as well (though plugged into the wall). I now use mine as an AP for my PFsense router and there is almost no detectable heat.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks using laptop cooler seems like a cool idea until the day finally comes!