Advice like 'Decent enough' not fanbot..please.

Ok, building a new system but really unsure of which way to go as I'm a gamer but not a 'extreme' one as I only really play Total War games and I am a fan of Value over nth degree improvement...as my costs will see. 

I'm using some stuff off of my older system like:

2 x RX580 Pulse (£265)

Corsair RM1000x PSU (£60 refurb from Corsair)

Corsair H100i (£54 refurb from Corsair)

New bought and arrived:

Samsung 1TB SSD (£106)

32GB Patriot Viper Steel series DDR4 3200 (£139)

I use a Samsung 65NU8070 TV to game so won't go above 60Hz and 10bit panel (8000 is 8+2 bit but 8070 is 10 bit)

So all thats left is CPU and Motherboard...I'm not team Blue or Red as I have systems with both.. 

So I'm thinking 8700k, 9600k,2600x,2700x......or should I hold out for Ryzen 3...or should I go i5 8400 as it's been shown to be a surprising bargain...or a 2200G...or the next one...or the next one...or 'what about this'..lol

The entire thing is killing me with indecision. 

2600x, MSi B450-Pro, Corsair H100i, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x, aData X6000 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB, Seagate 3TB x 2, Palit 1080Ti GameRock Premium, Silverstone GD08 Case.

We are fairly close to the Ryzen 3 launch as rumors suggest could be coming by May or June so if you can, hold off until we can see what Ryzen 3 can truly do. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, ThatScottishguy said:

Ok, building a new system but really unsure of which way to go as I'm a gamer but not a 'extreme' one as I only really play Total War games and I am a fan of Value over nth degree improvement...as my costs will see.  

I'm using some stuff off of my older system like: 

2 x RX580 Pulse (£265)

Corsair RM1000x PSU (£60 refurb from Corsair)

Corsair H100i (£54 refurb from Corsair)

New bought and arrived:

Samsung 1TB SSD (£106)

32GB Patriot Steel series DDR4 3200 (£139)

So all thats left is CPU and Motherboard...I'm not team Blue or Red as I have systems with both.. 

So I'm thinking 8700k, 9600k,2600x,2700x......or should I hold out for Ryzen 3...or should I go i5 8400 as it's been shown to be a surprising bargain...or a 2200G...or the next one...or the next one...or 'what about this'..lol

The entire thing is killing me with indecision. 

You talk about value and yet you have those parts? :|

Any of the CPU's you mentioned will do fine, i would recommend to hold out for Ryzen 3rd Gen though

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

We are fairly close to the Ryzen 3 launch as rumors suggest could be coming by May or June so if you can, hold off until we can see what Ryzen 3 can truly do. 

Ryzen 3 does look tempting...I can get a 2700x and an MSi Tomohawk board for £300.....and have seen a 9600k and Z390 board for the same......

2600x, MSi B450-Pro, Corsair H100i, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x, aData X6000 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB, Seagate 3TB x 2, Palit 1080Ti GameRock Premium, Silverstone GD08 Case.

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

Nevermind, i see you didn't buy them new

Just now, ThatScottishguy said:

Ryzen 3 does look tempting...I can get a 2700x and an MSi Tomohawk board for £300.....and have seen a 9600k and Z390 board for the same......

I still think its best to wait because of the rumored performance gains they will have with the Ryzen 3. If they are anywhere near the rumors, I would expect to see a shift in the market in terms of prices in the very least around launch time from both Intel, and AMD on its older chips much like they did with the 1XXX series when the 2XXX series launched. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

Any of the CPU's you mentioned will do fine, i would recommend to hold out for Ryzen 3rd Gen though

I buy the best I can get with the funds I have...I think £60 is ok for a 1000w PSU..lol. The DDR4 arrived today and at £70 per 16gb...that's good value as it will overclock s well.....

1 minute ago, ThatScottishguy said:

I buy the best I can get with the funds I have...I think £60 is ok for a 1000w PSU..lol. The DDR4 arrived today and at £70 per 16gb...that's good value as it will overclock s well.....

Yeah you did pull off quite a big bargain, the prices are all great, but anyway i see now you're mentioning that you're gaming on a TV, honestly if it's a system purely for gaming and you don't wanna go above 60hz then a Ryzen 2600 will do just as fine as any other CPU, but Ryzen 3rd gen might offer even lower prices, who knows.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I still think its best to wait because of the rumored performance gains they will have with the Ryzen 3. If they are anywhere near the rumors, I would expect to see a shift in the market in terms of prices in the very least around launch time from both Intel, and AMD on its older chips much like they did with the 1XXX series when the 2XXX series launched. 

I am mostly siding with waiting but wanted to guage peoples thoughts on it... I just know that soon after 3...there will be another 'must wait for' thing after that..hahahaha...the frustration of computers..lol

You could probs sell one of the RX580's for 100 quid and use that money for a better CPU/mobo combo.

I make intelligent lights do cool things

9 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

You could probs sell one of the RX580's for 100 quid and use that money for a better CPU/mobo combo.

I find Total Wars latest games scale pretty well with Crossfire....and that is my main reason for the new system...to get as close to ultra as possible..... I have considered selling both and buying a 2060/70 though...

hold on till ryxen 3 then we will all get back to you lol

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

2 hours ago, ThatScottishguy said:

I am mostly siding with waiting but wanted to guage peoples thoughts on it... I just know that soon after 3...there will be another 'must wait for' thing after that..hahahaha...the frustration of computers..lol

Yes, there will always be something new just on the horizon.

In my opinion, if the "new" thing is more than 6 months away, I wouldn't wait.

If it is less than 6 months away, and you are not in a hurry, I would wait. In this case, I would wait, Ryzen 3 is probably about 6 months away or less (summer 2019 is likely).

I've got a Ryzen 2700x personally, and it handles everything I can throw at it beautifully. AMD is definitely where the better "value" is right now. Even if you decide to go with Intel, wait for Ryzen 3, because Intel will likely be forced to drop their prices if it is really good.

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

Yes, there will always be something new just on the horizon.

In my opinion, if the "new" thing is more than 6 months away, I wouldn't wait.

If it is less than 6 months away, and you are not in a hurry, I would wait. In this case, I would wait, Ryzen 3 is probably about 6 months away or less (summer 2019 is likely).

I've got a Ryzen 2700x personally, and it handles everything I can throw at it beautifully. AMD is definitely where the better "value" is right now. Even if you decide to go with Intel, wait for Ryzen 3, because Intel will likely be forced to drop their prices if it is really good.

I'm impulsive.....lol. Seen a 2700x for £230 today new with cooler....so so so tempted lol. I will wait for 3 though, I think, and at worst will end up with an even cheaper 2700x I suppose..

44 minutes ago, ThatScottishguy said:

I'm impulsive.....lol. Seen a 2700x for £230 today new with cooler....so so so tempted lol. I will wait for 3 though, I think, and at worst will end up with an even cheaper 2700x I suppose.. 

Yeah exactly, prices for current gen will drop when the new stuff releases. You really can't lose by waiting, unless you absolutely need it urgently.

I bought my Ryzen 2700X in November of last year. That time, Ryzen 3000 was far enough away that I didn't want to wait (more than 6 months), and there were great deals on the 2700X around that time.