Have games become more graphic demanding over current years?

dgsddfgdfhgs

I had my gtx970 for more than 4 yr . Since then I maxed out all graphic settings & v-sync/ AA all on.

I get avg 50~55 fps or more for most games since then. even in all games launched this yr.

Sure it depends heavily on game optimization & developer. (eg ffxv only at 40 fps)

So just in general, have games become more graphic demanding over current years?

For me , No. looks like developers cannot catch up?

Yes, they have but the advancements have been much slower than hardware. Even though very demanding modern titles will still run fine for most people the modern equivalent for your card is about $200 for a good 1080p 60Hz. But if you start running a 1660p 140Hz or even 4K then the games start taking hits. So if you have a perfectly fine setup, Keep it. I run on a freakin potato and I still like playing CSGO and Far Cry (2 and BD right now). The Titan, for example, is barely for gaming on how powerful it is. Game developers really have no reason to. Most people are happy with the way things are and if you want more there's RTX. 

Home Base : Ryzen 5 2400G - ASROCK HDV R4.0 B450M -  Corsair Vengance Pro RGB 2x8GB @3200Mhz - Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT - WB Black (2018) 500GB NVME SSD - 250GB WD (P.O.S.) HDD - 250GB LITEONIT SSD - Cougar MX330 ATX Tower - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GQ 750W Gold- Razer Deathaddder Elite - Corsair K55 RGB Keyboard

6 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

For me , No. looks like developers cannot catch up?

What's there to catch up? If graphic demand keep going up, 2080 Ti will be a 1080p card instead of 4K.

I say rather than look at frame per second, check the actual graphic fidelity that newer games offer. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Why wouldn't games have become more graphic demanding in recent years? Games have always become more demanding over time, I don't understand why you're surprised by it now.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

11 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

Games have always become more demanding over time

I am actually saying the opposite, Recent games are not that demanding enough compared to a few yrs ago.

i have noticed performance these days is all about resolution rather than features

so most games are a breeze to run at 1080p or even 1440p

well until RTX that is

11 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I am actually saying the opposite, Recent games are not that demanding enough compared to a few yrs ago.

There are a lot more good indie games these days from studios that may not have the resources the generate AAA graphics. However I don't expect to be able to play Battlefield V at 4K on a GTX 980 Ti in the same way that my 1080 Ti does now.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

It appears that the graphics have been at a stand still, and this is mostly because they have been trying to be more inclusive to older hardware and lower end systems with integrated GPUs. The graphical quality has definitely improved, there has even been technologies developed and abandoned because of the performance costs for the minimal quality gained. Some of this is due to the shared console/PC development and some is due to financial and market pressures. 

I feel we are also at a quality level where we see diminishing returns of quality with incremental improvements as the costs begin to effect performance to greatly.

Compared to what hardware can deliver, I don't think there has been change overall. There was talk few years back that devs were taking money from hardware manufacturers and making games more demanding in order to help hardware sales. But on the other hand, there are more and more games like LoL, Fortnite, Overwatch, Hearthstone etc. which can run on anything.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If it hasn't really been demanding over the years, I would argue it's because developers have either come up with optimized ways of doing things in software or certain hardware features have improved so much that it's dirt cheap to have. And some previously demanding settings have been replaced with cheaper yet good enough substitutes. Like AA, which used to be MSAA, but now it's been replaced by the much cheaper FXAA, MLAA, or TAA. There was also a shift in how lighting was done to use a realistic approach rather than a purely artistic one.

And thinking about in PC gaming history, "demanding graphics" tends to come in waves rather than a steady climb. Likely because those at the forefront of pushing the envelope were waiting for something to give them what they want. The rest just follow suit because they'd rather focus on developing an application than an engine.