Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IgorM

Powering multiple external HDDs

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to add another external usb HDD to my orange pi pc plus mini "server" but I'm having some issues. When I plug in the second HDD the first one gets unmounted or it starts powering on and off. I tried to use a atx power supply to power it via gpio, but it didn't work even with a single drive. What are my options? 

12 hours ago, James Evens said:

@TopHatTom ground/shielding isn't necessary for high speed datalines ^^

Huh?? I never mentioned grounding/shielding. I just did the diagram in paint... 

I found a similar diagram on the old google.

Image result for splicing power into USB 

14 hours ago, James Evens said:

@TopHatTom ground/shielding isn't necessary for high speed datalines ^^

That is completely false. Without a common return there is no reference for the data line between the two devices. You also need to make sure you are using a proper cable and not just long wires as you need to maintain a characteristic impedance of 90 ohms. Without proper shielding or a properly design cable reflections will become bad enough to make the signal unusable.

Case: Fractal Designs Arc Midi R2  cpu: Intel core i5 4670k at 4.6ghz Motherboard: msi z87-gd65 gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Seasonic x650 gold Memory: 16gb Corsair vengeance pro 1600mhz ssd: Samsung 840 120gb Hard drive: Western digital wd black 500gb  Build-log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/37554-starting-my-first-full-blown-build/                                                                                                 "on the Internet. You can find almost anything on the Internet..." -Linus                                                                                                                                                                              i haz pc