Volk Fi - Long-Range Radio Network for Smartphones

EDIT: There are no sources from news websites. I did some googling and apparently this was just announce like a couple of weeks ago, so it will probably get some news articles on it soon.

Hey everyone,

Volk One is a new smartphone that connects to the internet via other Volk One phones from several miles away using "long-range radio hardware" called Volk Fi. Because, it uses other phones to connect to the internet, speeds would be faster where lots of people in possession of this phone live. It also has a slot for a SIM card to connect to carriers if there aren't any Volk One phones nearby, so it can still operate on a standard 4G network. I really think this could be a revolutionary idea in the smartphone industry if we could support it. You have to get a reservation for the phone (they're probably limited or something) and the phone costs $394 for a Snapdragon 845, Adreno 630, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM or $494 for a 256GB ROM model. They're website provides more detailed information, but I thought if we could help promote this and make it a thing it would be extremely successful. Please give me your opinions on it. My only grudge is that it doesn't release until December and it is equipped with a Snapdragon 845 instead of the 855.

Volk One is a smartphone that doesn't need carriers. The Volk Fi network is secure, censorship resistant, and available to everyone. Volk One allows you to stay connected anywhere and anytime. Unlike old networks that become slower, Volk Fi gets faster with more users using the network. Volk One connects to the Internet via other devices on the Volk Fi network. Volk One devices can connect to each other, from several miles away.

black_both_production_small.png

35 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

This reads more like an ad

And Is it even true??

I mean, How would it do that??

Also

43 minutes ago, Gigaboy said:

They're website provides more detailed information, but I thought if we could help promote this and make it a thing it would be extremely successful

Hell yeah it is

✨FNIGE✨

While you can simply not have a network on your phone, someone's phone yours connected to still need a connection. I don't see how that'll be censorship resistant as they claimed to be. And that also adds a risk of someone adding malware to their phones and intercept your data. If it supports VPN, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. If they don't, well count me out. Still, I'd be concern about connecting my phone to so many other unknown people's phone.

This would be great for places with little receptions, but I would need to buy an Android :( 

I'm pretty sure this is not the first time someone tried this method of wireless internet. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I'm pretty sure this is not the first time someone tried this method of wireless internet. 

Yes, but this one only allows you to get a reservation for the phone if you share it with your friends on some social media platform to try and convince your friends to also buy one. Their reason being that because it won't operate with a lack of users, so they want your friends that live in the same area as you to also buy it, so it's actually useful. They actually have a map of Hawaii showing where each people are who have a reservation on their Facebook page and it looks like if you live on the Hawaiian islands than you should have internet connection (although I'm not sure how speedy because it doesn't look very dense except for one isle).

Got kind of interested, but not buying a phone with a notch. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 3/12/2019 at 1:19 AM, BananaInSandals said:

While you can simply not have a network on your phone, someone's phone yours connected to still need a connection. I don't see how that'll be censorship resistant as they claimed to be. And that also adds a risk of someone adding malware to their phones and intercept your data. If it supports VPN, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. If they don't, well count me out. Still, I'd be concern about connecting my phone to so many other unknown people's phone.

Hello! Our data is end-to-end encrypted, so while your Volk One is connecting to other Volk One's, none of your data or private information can be read. We cannot even read your information. So, it works like a VPN, in a way.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:27 AM, floofer said:

This would be great for places with little receptions, but I would need to buy an Android :( 

Trust me, you won't be disappointed! I have been an iPhone user forever, it was one of the first phones I have ever had, in fact. However, at the very beginning of this year I was convinced by my mother to buy a Samsun s9. Best decision I have ever made! The technology just seems so much better than my iPhone was. Luckily, I will be getting the brand new Volk One when it releases and I can guarantee I will love it even more than the Samsung s9!

2 hours ago, Chase_Howard said:

Trust me, you won't be disappointed! I have been an iPhone user forever, it was one of the first phones I have ever had, in fact. However, at the very beginning of this year I was convinced by my mother to buy a Samsun s9. Best decision I have ever made! The technology just seems so much better than my iPhone was. Luckily, I will be getting the brand new Volk One when it releases and I can guarantee I will love it even more than the Samsung s9!

Tbh if there was iMessage, iCloud and FaceTime on Android, I would consider it. I need those tools however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I plan to try this out as a second phone, for specific tasks as well as overall testing. I plan to keep no sensitive info on it until I am certain it's safe. I already reserved my phone, but plan to finish paying for it after I see an official review or 2. Will review units be sent out to the usual lineup? Linus, for instance? 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:36 PM, Chase_Howard said:

Do you work for Volk Fi? You speak as if you do.