400W PSU

Oalei
Go to solution Solved by monjessenstein,

Yeah should be fine, I have a 450W psu with a 470 and 1600 which would probably be around the same power budget.

my rig:

Q9550 (i7 4770/X5660)

RX 470 or GTX 1050 (either way is fine)

Pure Power 10 or U9

DDR3 1x8gb

3 120MM fans

1 140MM fans

1 idk what rpm HHD

1 7200k RPM

1 SSD

im using it for gaming mostly and possibly editing some stuff a little bit

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

then i would say it's fine

3 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Yeah should be fine, I have a 450W psu with a 470 and 1600 which would probably be around the same power budget.

well with that said im pretty much going to buy Pure Power 10 400W cause other brand here is very overpriced

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

well with that said im pretty much going to buy Pure Power 10 400W cause other brand here is very overpriced

i mean, if you can find a 11 that would be even better ,but the 10 is a great psu from my experience

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i mean, if you can find a 11 that would be even better ,but the 10 is a great psu from my experience

the price leap is noticable for me cause im trying to build a budget PC even though i would also like the newest 1. And actually there is no 400W model which is why the price is too high

Edited by Oalei

8 minutes ago, Oalei said:

the price leap is noticable for me cause im trying to build a budget PC even though i would also like the newest 1. And actually there is no 400W model which is why the price is too high

not there at least... i mean, i think you made the right choice

but you're allowed to wait...

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not there at least... i mean, i think you made the right choice

but you're allowed to wait...

well i just found a deal for i7 4770k  Z87 Pro with 2x4gb about 300usd so i dont think i will wait for that long

2 hours ago, Oalei said:

Yeah, that's a decent unit, if the Price is good.

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Yeah, slightly but not by much...

2 hours ago, Oalei said:

well i just found a deal for i7 4770k  Z87 Pro with 2x4gb about 300usd so i dont think i will wait for that long

That doesn't sound like a good deal.

The 4770K is similar to a Ryzen 1500 or some other 4 Core, with an entry level Board you get around the same price or lower.
And have a new, upgradable system.

And you have to keep in mind that he 4770K was released back in 2013, so we're talking about ~6 Year old Hardware...

300€, even for higher end stuff, is not cheap.

200€ would be more reasonable.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, that's a decent unit, if the Price is good.

Yeah, slightly but not by much...

That doesn't sound like a good deal.

The 4770K is similar to a Ryzen 1500 or some other 4 Core, with an entry level Board you get around the same price or lower.
And have a new, upgradable system.

And you have to keep in mind that he 4770K was released back in 2013, so we're talking about ~6 Year old Hardware...

300€, even for higher end stuff, is not cheap.

200€ would be more reasonable.

Well I don't want to waste my ddr3 rams and I can actually get i5 8400 with ram and mobo with 300usd I mean like that's okay to,  but I want to buy i7 4930k and use it for slightly towards productivity even though I can get that with i5 8400 which is still fine anyway and lower power consumption which is what I needed 

Even if you have DDR3 RAM its no reason to overpay on an ancient System.

You have to accept that you can't do too much with the DDR3 you have right now except turn it into money.

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Even if you have DDR3 RAM its no reason to overpay on an ancient System.

You have to accept that you can't do too much with the DDR3 you have right now except turn it into money.

Well rip what I planned on. I want to go amd road and good till 2020 but Intel is cheaper in this case welp sooner or later I will decide anyway

@LukeSavenije hey i just saw something really nice for my wallet and kinda comparable they said to pure power 10 its CX450M more cheaper hell a lot more cheaper some retailer just set it to the right price i think 42ish usd

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

@LukeSavenije hey i just saw something really nice for my wallet and kinda comparable they said to pure power 10 its CX450M more cheaper hell a lot more cheaper some retailer just set it to the right price i think 42ish usd

cx450m? pretty good

but be warned, it can whine a bit on 1070+ in you ever intend that

that's said by a cx550m owner

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

cx450m? pretty good

but be warned, it can whine a bit on 1070+ in you ever intend that

that's said by a cx550m owner

if its with pure power 10 400W is enough? and if not i will find another psu with kinda 500W and a lot better. well i want a vega 56 tbh cause its hella cheap here and hella lots of watts required. is EVGA GD good? the price is kinda the same with pure power 10

27 minutes ago, Oalei said:

if its with pure power 10 400W is enough? and if not i will find another psu with kinda 500W and a lot better. well i want a vega 56 tbh cause its hella cheap here and hella lots of watts required. is EVGA GD good? the price is kinda the same with pure power 10

gd is worse

I'm adding @Stefan Payne here, he did some testing with a v64

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

gd is worse

I'm adding @Stefan Payne here, he did some testing with a v64

well thats good to know

8 hours ago, Oalei said:

if its with pure power 10 400W is enough?

No, my 400W Pure Power 10 doesn't work well with VEGA at all.

500W seems to be the minimum.

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

gd is worse

The GD uses the same platform as the G1+, GQ, and Pure Power 10/11, I'm fairly sure. 

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The GD uses the same platform as the G1+, GQ, and Pure Power 10/11, I'm fairly sure. 

maybe, but worse fan and probably rather high fan RPM...

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

maybe, but worse fan and probably rather high fan RPM...

most of these PSU use a 92mm fan. you can easily swap out the fans for anything you want like noctua. the fan header is 2-3pin though but the 3rd is not necessarily needed and still controls speed. i done this on several corsair PSU

also the mounting holes you might get 50% lined up so i just used zip ties in that situation. no rattle or weird noses

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

1 minute ago, unsungheroist said:

most of these PSU use a 92mm fan.

What the heck are you talking about?!

92mm is a very uncommon size for Desktop/DIY use!

I

1 minute ago, unsungheroist said:

you can easily swap out the fans for anything you want like noctua. the fan header is 2-3pin though but the 3rd is not necessarily needed and still controls speed. i done this on several corsair PSU

ARE YOUR FREAKING SERIOUS?!
YOU DO NOT REPLACE THE FAN IN A PSU!

The PSU is a "black box", that is certified by Safety organizations like TüV and similar ones.

Replacing the fan voids the Certificate, that means that if something goes wrong, no insurance will pay!

And you change the specification of the unit!
If it is certified for 40-50°C and a certain Wattage, with a different fan, you do not come close to that!

And to make matters worse, the PSU is designed with that fan in mind...

And if the PSU has bad OTP implementation or none at all, you have A RISK OF FIRE!

So no, you do not ever change the Fan in a PSU, especially if you don't know what you are doing!

That's a really bad recommendation...

Especially:

We have a number of people, especially in EU, that replace the stock SF fan with Noctua's 92mm fan.  We've done the same and have found that while it is quieter at lower loads, it cannot support proper cooling at higher loads and is actually louder at those loads (despite not being able to keep up).

PSU companies don't tend to "throw whatever fan fits" into a PSU.  End users often do tend to think they know best, but that typically back fires on them unless they're running a corner case.

jonnyGURU Forums - View Single Post -  SFX: Silverstonetek SX700-PT, any guess how it will compare with SF600?

man you act like taking out 4 screws and going to blow up like it had a dead man switch in it. only real safety precaution is let it sit for about a day to let the caps drain and other stuff.

i have done my own testing and grated i cant account for every variable however, did test load vs heat vs noise vs auto off functions of some brands mostly corsair stuff using a PSU load tester and several fans up to 140mm which will fit in ATX PSU with zip ties. frankly put if your situation is out of warranty and cant drop $100ish on a new PSU only for a simple fan issue. answer DIY

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

1 hour ago, unsungheroist said:

most of these PSU use a 92mm fan. you can easily swap out the fans for anything you want like noctua. the fan header is 2-3pin though but the 3rd is not necessarily needed and still controls speed. i done this on several corsair PSU

also the mounting holes you might get 50% lined up so i just used zip ties in that situation. no rattle or weird noses

No, just no. You should never open a PSU, end of story. It's dangerous, especially so if your PSU is a lower quality unit or has bad OTP..

Please, never try to change a fan in a PSU. If something isn't right with the fan, RMA your PSU or return it and get a new one. It's much safer and in the long run, it could save you from a lot of problems.

Just now, unsungheroist said:

man you act like taking out 4 screws and going to blow up like it had a dead man switch in it. only real safety precaution is let it sit for about a day to let the caps drain and other stuff.

No, but the ~400V inside the PSU!

That is a fact that PSU work with that high voltage!

Also:
https://www.today.com/money/teen-electrocuted-while-taking-apart-unplugged-computer-1C6365434

Also if you got a decent quality PSU with a decent fan, there is no need to ever open it!

As you have either long enough warranty or the PSU is old enough anyway.

Just now, unsungheroist said:

i have done my own testing and grated i cant account for every variable however, did test load vs heat vs noise vs auto off functions of some brands mostly corsair stuff using a PSU load tester and several fans up to 140mm which will fit in ATX PSU with zip ties. frankly put if your situation is out of warranty and cant drop $100ish on a new PSU only for a simple fan issue. answer DIY

oh yeah, what kind of testing?!
Do you have a Chroma ATE? Do you have a Heat Chamber??
What kind of "Testing" did you do?!

Did you actually measure the temperatures inside the PSU? How did you do it?

With PSU Load Tester what do you mean??

And what about airflow??

I mean 120mm fans have completely different profiles, blow the air at different positions, so that you can't replace a 120mm fan with a 140mm easily and even if, you might have to keep the same RPM (=Louder) or it even has to be louder for various reasons.