Multi-use Wing Server

I'm trying to put together a multi-use mini-itx Plex server and streaming PC. The computer would spend most of it's time just sipping on power, but occasionally it would stream both game play and movies. All my knowledge is in high end hardware, liquid cooling, larger rigs, that kinda stuff. I'm so far lost in what these two actives need that everything I've looked at has just made me skeptical and tired.

Needs:

Run as plex server
Mini-itx

Wants:

Runs OBS

Low power consumption

Has RGB

That's really it. The idea spawned from quite a few places, but one of them is that I've got a ThermalTake P7 case and my gaming computer/liquid cooling solution only take the main platform and one wing. The other wing is able to handle a second computer and I've always wanted a low power plex server to have kids shows that I've screened to make sure my kids don't get sucked into the weird parts of youtube. Having a computer that can do that and OBS would be pretty cool.

I've looked a little at using the Ryzen 5 2400G but then I saw a bunch of threads of people angry at that. I've looked at various used computer builds but the power usage on old hardware sucks. I dislike the idea of prebuilds because I don't need a case at all, but I wouldn't be too adverse to getting one if it did everything I wanted I just had to remount it in the wing. Everything but the power supply would be easy to put on the wing, that's gonna take some custom metal.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what people use, find new sources of reliable information, and listen to any help/criticism that flows my way. 

Thanks for reading!

When your streaming games whats your source? Capture card? NDI? 

How many plex streams? Do you need transcoding?

What os?

2400g or i5 8400 both look fine here, and will work about the same.

How much storage do you need?

First is a fantastic question, I'll research that and get back to you.

Two streams max. Don't know much about transcoding, I'll look at that and add that to the next reply.

OS can be anything that worth with the two applications. I'm comfortable with Unbuntu, and windows. Anything else will take at least a little learning.

Storage won't be an issue, I figured I'd toss together somewhere between 4-10 TB.

Until I learn more about NDI, I think I'll go with a capture card. 

And a yes on the transcoding. 

3 hours ago, Acoreus said:

Until I learn more about NDI, I think I'll go with a capture card. 

And a yes on the transcoding. 

Id probalby go 2400g or 8400, they will work about the same. You can go with a faster cpu if you want, but the quality gains in stream will be small and it will be a good amount more expensive.

If I use the 2400g does it need a dedicated graphics card or can on board graphics handle both tasks?

Should I be fine at 8 gigs of ram or should I bump it to 16?

Would this whole setup benefit from a 2 SSD (500GB/SSD) + 4 HDD (2TB/HDD) storemi/other tiered storage solution?