Sleeper PC Build

Hi Guys,

I just want to share my recently assembled sleeper PC. My PC case broke and i don't have enough money to buy a new one atm. I saw and i bought a really cheap old case and decided to give it a go. Got inspired by Linus' videos on creating sleeper PC. Please share Your thoughts, criticize if You must so I can improve it. Sorry for misaligned cuttings, i really don't have proper tools :D but so far I'm happy of the outcome of what I did.

what's inside:

PSU: CM V750
MOBO: MSI Z370m gaming pro AC
CPU: i5 8600k @ 4.5ghz
GPU: MSI gaming X gtx 1080
RAM: 2x 8GB
NVME: 500gb Samsung PM981
SSD: (OS) 240GB WD Green
HDD: 1TB Toshiba 7200
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2
Front intake: Noctua ippc 3000
Rear Exhaust: Noctua ippc 2000
PC Case: idk, some old PC case bought for 3 USD, 5 USD including keyboard and mouse. Surprisingly, the KB and Mouse is quite good even for gaming! :D 

Thanks! Cheers!

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

wow well done!

this is one of the best sleepers i've seen

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Very nice. What's the purpose of the foam tube? How did you fit a 120MM fan to the rear so nicely? PC's of that age ran 80MM fans...

Did you end up painting it black on the outside in the last photos? If not you need to google up retrobrite and re-whiten that old plastic!

21 hours ago, seoz said:

I love the attention-to-detail with those red custom-sleeved cables, it all looks plain on the outside and on the inside, it's suddenly an explosion of black and red!

Thanks! my old build is black and red so before i migrated all the components, i decided to black paint the inside of the case (and the back) so when from time to time i will open it, i can still appreciate the modernness of it. and yeah, black and red detail rocks!

20 hours ago, slashqpbyte said:

Great build, its a shame when these old cases find there way to the curb. I'm really digging the blue lights on the front.

i really like the blue lights in front. brings back memories on how awesome PC's with LED's during that time. i really find old cases awesome in cooling as well, just need a bit of tweaking..

12 hours ago, wildthing said:

wow well done!

this is one of the best sleepers i've seen

Thanks for the compliments Mate! really made me feel i did it right considering I'm not a pro when it comes to PC's. Cheers!

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Very nice. What's the purpose of the foam tube? How did you fit a 120MM fan to the rear so nicely? PC's of that age ran 80MM fans...

Did you end up painting it black on the outside in the last photos? If not you need to google up retrobrite and re-whiten that old plastic!

Thanks! the foam tube just fills in the gap between the CD rom rack and the floppy disk rack. I fvcked up cutting wrongly hahaha. and i put the lump of cables in it. The 120mm fans at the rear, there is a hole for 80mm fans (attached when i bought the case) but it also have a ready option for 120mm fan. For the front though, it only has option to install 2x 80mm, so i drilled some holes to fit in 120mm fan. added some more holes so more air can go in. And lastly, no, i only painted black the inside and rear. Thanks for the tip about retrobrite. will definitely look for it. 

4 hours ago, Elder_Noob said:

Thanks! the foam tube just fills in the gap between the CD rom rack and the floppy disk rack. I fvcked up cutting wrongly hahaha. and i put the lump of cables in it. The 120mm fans at the rear, there is a hole for 80mm fans (attached when i bought the case) but it also have a ready option for 120mm fan. For the front though, it only has option to install 2x 80mm, so i drilled some holes to fit in 120mm fan. added some more holes so more air can go in. And lastly, no, i only painted black the inside and rear. Thanks for the tip about retrobrite. will definitely look for it. 

Fantastic! Lucky that had a 120MM fan option, it looked old enough that I thought it was the older narrow standard of PC cases that couldn't fit a 120 at all. Bummer about the bad cut, you know what they say...I cut it twice and it's still too short! I suppose you could pop rivet a panel of sheet metal over that gap to cover it more nicely. It turned out way nicer than anything I've ever assembled, you have great attention to detail. I wonder if there's a market for that kind of prebuilt system or even just old cases modded to accept modern hardware/fan sizes?

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Fantastic! Lucky that had a 120MM fan option, it looked old enough that I thought it was the older narrow standard of PC cases that couldn't fit a 120 at all. Bummer about the bad cut, you know what they say...I cut it twice and it's still too short! I suppose you could pop rivet a panel of sheet metal over that gap to cover it more nicely. It turned out way nicer than anything I've ever assembled, you have great attention to detail. I wonder if there's a market for that kind of prebuilt system or even just old cases modded to accept modern hardware/fan sizes?

Yes, lucky it has an option for 120mm, saved me some time and trouble. Thanks for the advice to improve, I definitely follow that advice and will make a cutout of sheet metal and use it as a neat cover once i get a smaller cutting tool. i used a big handheld grinder i borrowed my neighbor for this proj., hence the misalignment :D . the foam will just be temporary, but its the best i got atm hahaha..

Can't wait to see the results! I've done some case work before a long long time ago, drilling out the pop rivets and taking them down to bare bits makes working on the parts a lot easier, then just rivet it all back together. You can really frankestein some stuff that way, adding extra drive bays or swapping different tops and bases or really whatever will fit together.

• 4 years later...

i need to get my hands on that case. i cant find it anywhere other than on a forum post about CeBIT 2004 💀

For reference, here's a photo from the website of what that case used to look like:

dsc01998.jpg