Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys. 

Specs : 

ASUS Rampage VI Extreme

i9 7960X

ASUS RTX 2080 Ti

64 GB DDR 4

Problem

I was in gaming, and system shut down. At restart, on the MB display, i get this error : B2 Load VGA BIOS

What i've tryed : Only one stick or RAM, moved the GPU on different slots, BIOS update (on MB), CMOS clean... nothing, I cant even get into BIOS. Is anythig to be done or shoud i call for a replacement ? 

Thanks allot 

20190222_150344.jpg

If you've tried different slots and such then I would maybe try a second graphics card first, something cheap like a 610 or 210 or whatever.  If that works then it's defective and the retailer should be able to do a replacement.

(This is why I have a bunch of obsolete hardware on my shelf as "spares" in case I need to do component troubleshooting like replacing a PSU, gpu, memory, etc)

Workstation: 8600k @ 4.6Ghz || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || Gigabyte 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 2666 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 25 gallon whole-house loop.

HTPC/GuestGamingBox: Optoma HD142X 1080p Projector || 7600K@ 4.6 || Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9  || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair RM650x || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.5Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || EVGA G3 750W || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

Server VM/Plex/HTTPS: E5-2699v4 (22 core!) || Asus X99m WS || GT 630 || Corsair RM650x || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Storage: Pent. G3220 || Z87 Gryphon mATX || || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 3x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives) Corsair RM450 (machine) || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

On the Shelf: EVGA X99 micro2, 780, 740 GT, 210 w/ DVI port unsoldered (Hint: it can be done but it ain't easy). 

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U).

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

If you've tried different slots and such then I would maybe try a second graphics card first, something cheap like a 610 or 210 or whatever.  If that works then it's defective and the retailer should be able to do a replacement.

(This is why I have a bunch of obsolete hardware on my shelf as "spares" in case I need to do component troubleshooting like replacing a PSU, gpu, memory, etc)

Thanks for the reply. 

The thing is ( i just want to make sure ), is that a hardware issue or a software one ? Based on that error. It might sound stupid, but i'm not really into these things. And, any ideas WHAT was the cause ?

Thank you 

Just now, PorumbFlorin said:

Thanks for the reply. 

The thing is ( i just want to make sure ), is that a hardware issue or a software one ? Based on that error. It might sound stupid, but i'm not really into these things. And, any ideas WHAT was the cause ?

Thank you 

Hardware.  The BIOS isn't able to initialize the card.  ^ raised a good point to to make sure the PSU cables are seated and not bad.

My first Titan X (maxwell) popped when I plugged it in and powered it on for the first time.  These things happen periodically.

Workstation: 8600k @ 4.6Ghz || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || Gigabyte 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 2666 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 25 gallon whole-house loop.

HTPC/GuestGamingBox: Optoma HD142X 1080p Projector || 7600K@ 4.6 || Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9  || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair RM650x || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.5Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || EVGA G3 750W || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

Server VM/Plex/HTTPS: E5-2699v4 (22 core!) || Asus X99m WS || GT 630 || Corsair RM650x || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Storage: Pent. G3220 || Z87 Gryphon mATX || || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 3x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives) Corsair RM450 (machine) || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

On the Shelf: EVGA X99 micro2, 780, 740 GT, 210 w/ DVI port unsoldered (Hint: it can be done but it ain't easy). 

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U).

This is scarin me, keep us posted OP

Also that's a sicc motherboard

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

re check to see if all your power cables are seated properly 

I will do that, i will change the cables and i will give a reply asap

33 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Hardware.  The BIOS isn't able to initialize the card.  ^ raised a good point to to make sure the PSU cables are seated and not bad.

My first Titan X (maxwell) popped when I plugged it in and powered it on for the first time.  These things happen periodically.

Just changed the cables, still the same err.. I guess i will submit a replace form .  I cant believe i have to replace a 2080 ti so soon. Funny thing  (or not), it happen while i was playing Resident Evil 2. And when you press START GAME, the name of the game cranks on the screen. I pressed that, and it f...up  my VGA :((((

Thanks for the help guys. 

4 minutes ago, PorumbFlorin said:

Just changed the cables, still the same err.. I guess i will submit a replace form .  I cant believe i have to replace a 2080 ti so soon. Funny thing  (or not), it happen while i was playing Resident Evil 2. And when you press START GAME, the name of the game cranks on the screen. I pressed that, and it f...up  my VGA :((((

Thanks for the help guys. 

RIP, good luck with the RMA process, at least you still got the Titan, if mine dies i have my backup 1080 lol

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

15 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

RIP, good luck with the RMA process, at least you still got the Titan, if mine dies i have my backup 1080 lol

And i was told the "die early" batch was already gone. Like my ass it is.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

This is what influenced my purchase of an EVGA card, i'd gone through a lot of RMA's in the past.

Corsair/EVGA take the cake. 

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

This is what influenced my purchase of an EVGA card, i'd gone through a lot of RMA's in the past.

Asus belongs on that list too. First impressions last a lifetime, and after experiencing their customer service I don't think I will ever branch away from them (unless they dont make a component I need.)

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, Fractal Define Mini C TG, Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody. C2D P7350, nVidia 9800M, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Mojave. Also my editing laptop (FCP > Adobe Premier)

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 8.0

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

7 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

I herd  of those cases as well, and you never think is gonna' happen to you until it does. And it sucks ! I was getting ready for Metro Exodus... now i'm left with mobile legends ...wtf  

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Asus belongs on that list too. First impressions last a lifetime, and after experiencing their customer service I don't think I will ever branch away from them (unless they dont make a component I need.)

I've owned a ton of things from Asus, and nothing I've owned from them has died (Yet)

This includes my original P6t from ~2009 which is still in use in a friends build somewhere (I'm actually getting it back this year to do a retro build) a couple of strix cards, and an old lga 775 board, 

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, Emanbaird said:

I've owned a ton of things from Asus, and nothing I've owned from them has died (Yet)

This includes my original P6t from ~2009 which is still in use in a friends build somewhere (I'm actually getting it back this year to do a retro build) a couple of strix cards, and an old lga 775 board, 

I nearly RMA'd a ROG STRIX RX580, which was purchased 2nd hand, used, and was a mining card. Asus was happy to RMA it even knowing these conditions (Previous owner purchased extended warrenty). I ended up fixing the issue, and cancelled the RMA. But that some damned good service.

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, Fractal Define Mini C TG, Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody. C2D P7350, nVidia 9800M, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Mojave. Also my editing laptop (FCP > Adobe Premier)

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 8.0

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

21 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

I got my hands on a hof from galax. If that shit dies on me i will be monumentally furious and probably never get an rtx card ever again.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王

I love the GALAX cards, it's almost impossible to find them in the states, i tried for a 1070 Katana, but my local retailer didn't have them in stock, and when they did there were 1080's NIB for the same price $450

Current Build

Spoiler

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 2700x
  • Motherboard
    ASrock x470 Fatal1ty k4
  • RAM
    16GB
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black
  • Case
    Corsair 570x
  • Storage
    480gb SSD
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    27 inch Dell S2716DG
  • Cooling
    Wraith Prism
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 pro
  • Sound
    Beyerdynamic dt770
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

They supposedly have pretty good costumer service in my country but still. RMA a card of this level feels wrong. Shouldn't ever be needed. Guess time will tell if i'll be making the first RMA of my life or not.

Gorishi Hive King

ゴリシ蜂の巣の王