IceRAR

Hello guys. 

Specs : 

ASUS Rampage VI Extreme

i9 7960X

ASUS RTX 2080 Ti

64 GB DDR 4

Problem

I was in gaming, and system shut down. At restart, on the MB display, i get this error : B2 Load VGA BIOS

What i've tryed : Only one stick or RAM, moved the GPU on different slots, BIOS update (on MB), CMOS clean... nothing, I cant even get into BIOS. Is anythig to be done or shoud i call for a replacement ? 

Thanks allot 

20190222_150344.jpg

If you've tried different slots and such then I would maybe try a second graphics card first, something cheap like a 610 or 210 or whatever.  If that works then it's defective and the retailer should be able to do a replacement.

(This is why I have a bunch of obsolete hardware on my shelf as "spares" in case I need to do component troubleshooting like replacing a PSU, gpu, memory, etc)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

If you've tried different slots and such then I would maybe try a second graphics card first, something cheap like a 610 or 210 or whatever.  If that works then it's defective and the retailer should be able to do a replacement.

(This is why I have a bunch of obsolete hardware on my shelf as "spares" in case I need to do component troubleshooting like replacing a PSU, gpu, memory, etc)

Thanks for the reply. 

The thing is ( i just want to make sure ), is that a hardware issue or a software one ? Based on that error. It might sound stupid, but i'm not really into these things. And, any ideas WHAT was the cause ?

Thank you 

Just now, PorumbFlorin said:

Thanks for the reply. 

The thing is ( i just want to make sure ), is that a hardware issue or a software one ? Based on that error. It might sound stupid, but i'm not really into these things. And, any ideas WHAT was the cause ?

Thank you 

Hardware.  The BIOS isn't able to initialize the card.  ^ raised a good point to to make sure the PSU cables are seated and not bad.

My first Titan X (maxwell) popped when I plugged it in and powered it on for the first time.  These things happen periodically.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

This is scarin me, keep us posted OP

Also that's a sicc motherboard

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

2 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

re check to see if all your power cables are seated properly 

I will do that, i will change the cables and i will give a reply asap

33 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Hardware.  The BIOS isn't able to initialize the card.  ^ raised a good point to to make sure the PSU cables are seated and not bad.

My first Titan X (maxwell) popped when I plugged it in and powered it on for the first time.  These things happen periodically.

Just changed the cables, still the same err.. I guess i will submit a replace form .  I cant believe i have to replace a 2080 ti so soon. Funny thing  (or not), it happen while i was playing Resident Evil 2. And when you press START GAME, the name of the game cranks on the screen. I pressed that, and it f...up  my VGA :((((

Thanks for the help guys. 

4 minutes ago, PorumbFlorin said:

Just changed the cables, still the same err.. I guess i will submit a replace form .  I cant believe i have to replace a 2080 ti so soon. Funny thing  (or not), it happen while i was playing Resident Evil 2. And when you press START GAME, the name of the game cranks on the screen. I pressed that, and it f...up  my VGA :((((

Thanks for the help guys. 

RIP, good luck with the RMA process, at least you still got the Titan, if mine dies i have my backup 1080 lol

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

And i was told the "die early" batch was already gone. Like my ass it is.

This is what influenced my purchase of an EVGA card, i'd gone through a lot of RMA's in the past.

Corsair/EVGA take the cake. 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

4 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

This is what influenced my purchase of an EVGA card, i'd gone through a lot of RMA's in the past.

Corsair/EVGA take the cake. 

Asus belongs on that list too. First impressions last a lifetime, and after experiencing their customer service I don't think I will ever branch away from them (unless they dont make a component I need.)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

7 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

And i was told the "die early" batch was already gone. Like my ass it is.

I herd  of those cases as well, and you never think is gonna' happen to you until it does. And it sucks ! I was getting ready for Metro Exodus... now i'm left with mobile legends ...wtf  

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Asus belongs on that list too. First impressions last a lifetime, and after experiencing their customer service I don't think I will ever branch away from them (unless they dont make a component I need.)

I've owned a ton of things from Asus, and nothing I've owned from them has died (Yet)

This includes my original P6t from ~2009 which is still in use in a friends build somewhere (I'm actually getting it back this year to do a retro build) a couple of strix cards, and an old lga 775 board, 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just now, Emanbaird said:

I've owned a ton of things from Asus, and nothing I've owned from them has died (Yet)

This includes my original P6t from ~2009 which is still in use in a friends build somewhere (I'm actually getting it back this year to do a retro build) a couple of strix cards, and an old lga 775 board, 

I nearly RMA'd a ROG STRIX RX580, which was purchased 2nd hand, used, and was a mining card. Asus was happy to RMA it even knowing these conditions (Previous owner purchased extended warrenty). I ended up fixing the issue, and cancelled the RMA. But that some damned good service.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I love the GALAX cards, it's almost impossible to find them in the states, i tried for a 1070 Katana, but my local retailer didn't have them in stock, and when they did there were 1080's NIB for the same price $450

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard