My new HDD drags, or is it normal?

G1K777

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if the word I'm looking for is called "dragging", it sounds like the "bearings" are rubbing.

I'm using only SSDs and NVMe in my computer.

I got myself a Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB, SED, SATA 6Gb/s (ST33000651NS) drive and I'm not sure if it just sounds like this or if it's broken.
It sounds like "crappy fans" where the bearing is rubbing (dragging?).

It works, I've copied a 8GB clip on the 3TB HDD and it was writing with 145mb/s.

abc.png

AMD FX8320 | GTX660 | 4x4GB DDR3 | LG ZR2740W

Logitech Wireless Pro  | Logitech G413 | Nuforce uDAC5  | AKG K612

Can you record it somehow? I mean, every drive makes infrequent noise, like a tiny airplane taking off. Is it consistent?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

SSD's don't make any sound....

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Compare the sounds with the sounds recorded on the following website:

Failing hard drive sounds - Datacent.com - Datacent

If there is a match, look for how to replace the HDD as soon as possible. These recorded sounds are an imminent failure warning.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I just replace it, what ever, if it sounds like this, I don't want it. It sounds like a damaged bearing.

A quick note here... All drives, no matter how much they cost, what kind they are, or how old they are, are subject to sudden, irrecoverable failure with no notice (heck, I've had new drives arrive DOA).

To ensure the safety of data, it must exist in three different places. For most people, this will be on the computer, on an onsite backup drive(s), and on an offsite backup drive(s). To be true backup drives, they must be kept disconnected from the computer and powered down except while updating the backup. Also, offsite and onsite backup drives must be swapped out a frequently as practical to ensure the offite backup drives are kept as up to date as possible.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I will not run a library of videos on a server like linus does. If the videos get lost, I have no problem with that. I would have a problem when I let my 1TB SSD write 100s of GB each day.

1 hour ago, G1K777 said:

I will not run a library of videos on a server like linus does. If the videos get lost, I have no problem with that. I would have a problem when I let my 1TB SSD write 100s of GB each day.

Linus backs up his servers.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Linus backs up his servers.

and i'm a vegetarian.
<not>