Will circuit breaker affect Wi-Fi signal (photo attached)

grangervoldemort
On 2/22/2019 at 6:11 AM, grangervoldemort said:

Will placing the router near the holes where you see on the wall, affect the Wi-Fi signal because of the circuit breaker box?

While electrical wiring and stuff can cause EMI, I dont think that will affect the WiFi at all. The big ass metal box containing your breakers, MAYBE. EMI is generally a concern for Ethernet cabling which is why they say not to run Ethernet by electrical wires, however here in the US we use mostly 120v in residential, so generally EMI is not as much as a concern. 

Lots of things can affect WiFi. For example Bluetooth, Microwave ovens, Baby monitors, Cordless phones and other networks (on the same channel or adjacent channels) to name a few. Even the weather can affect 2.4 Ghz. Dense materials tend to block WiFI signals. For example from reading on the forum, it sounds like in Australasia they like to build out of concrete, which is not WiFi friendly. Generally the best advice any one can give is to put your router in the most centralized location for the best coverage. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Ghetto af. But this works for testing 

15509564171368783028721672272505.jpg

15509564390025214494273351437325.jpg

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

4 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Ghetto af. But this works for testing 

But it works. If testing goes well Id just put a small shelf up for the router to sit on. Looks like you got some screws already sticking out of the wall, maybe you can use those holes. Just a thought. Id also like to add, my previous router was an N750 router, and it covered our 1300 sq foot house pretty well. Especially when I put the router in my room on the second floor. The higher the better for the signal to spread out. 

I agree that while the breakers / electrical wiring wouldn't cause interference for WiFi, the giant metal breaker box (which hopefully is hooked into ground) would ground out WiFi.

I would just test around using wifi analyzer with your router in different spots. Shame to hear about the questionable wiring though. If you're really worried, consider buying a UPS unit with AVR for the router

9 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I agree that while the breakers / electrical wiring wouldn't cause interference for WiFi, the giant metal breaker box (which hopefully is hooked into ground) would ground out WiFi.

I would just test around using wifi analyzer with your router in different spots. Shame to hear about the questionable wiring though. If you're really worried, consider buying a UPS unit with AVR for the router

What is AVR? Links please to products?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

38 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

But it works. If testing goes well Id just put a small shelf up for the router to sit on. Looks like you got some screws already sticking out of the wall, maybe you can use those holes. Just a thought. Id also like to add, my previous router was an N750 router, and it covered our 1300 sq foot house pretty well. Especially when I put the router in my room on the second floor. The higher the better for the signal to spread out. 

Those screw holes is where the old router was originally. It cannot be placed there as this router HAS to be upright to let out heat, hence the stand is glued in place by Netgear.

That location is also too high I think. Above that is the loft and below is the ground floor where I need signal.

Also that is the location where it may have interference by the metal box as you all are saying. 

1) Or can that happen from its current location too?

Even though I put it here I cannot get a signal good enough in the far reaches of the kitchen. I am getting 2mbps per second there and low signal strength.

2) Any ideas? 

So let me explain a few things. 

The Netgear router is on the 1st floor. British English in use here. So I think for Americans that is what they call 2nd floor.

On the first floor are the following rooms:
My room

My brothers room

My parents room

The living room

Bathroom (where my brother and I, when we go for a long one on the toilet use our phones and while showering we listen to music from our phones, so we need internet in the bathroom too)

On the ground floor are:

The shop

The kitchen

A small toilet where I also like to use my phone while taking a long one

On the ground floor in the kitchen is the Edimax Access Point which is connected to a Netgear switch in the shop. That switch is connected to the Netgear router via a Ethernet cable. 

On that switch are devices for the shop.

Now we have good wireless signal in the shop. No issues there.

In the kitchen in the far corners, which is where I put my laptop on the kitchen worktop while looking at a youtube video that shows how to cook a dish and following it (pausing many many times in between). 

And that is where I am getting low strength.

I will have to test actually playing a youtube video in the kitchen in that corner tomorrow. I also Skype in the kitchen. 

3) If the speed I am getting isn't good enough in the kitchen, what are my options, bearing in mind the current setup of Access Point etc?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

On 2/22/2019 at 6:05 PM, grangervoldemort said:

Here is inside the closet or whatever it's called. Notice the many wires in the trunking leading up to the fusebox.

wait is that wall made of cardboard?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

wait is that wall made of cardboard?

I guess you are looking UP at the now damaged ceiling which is asbestos and plasterboard where the cables make their way.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

4 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

If the speed I am getting isn't good enough in the kitchen, what are my options, bearing in mind the current setup of Access Point etc.

You might need to add another access point in the kitchen. It might not be what you want to hear but its probably the only way. Other than upgrading to some kind of mesh system. The mesh system might be safer because you house sounds like a death trap. I wouldn't want to pull cables or put holes the wall for the fear of getting asbestos  in the air. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You might need to add another access point in the kitchen. It might not be what you want to hear but its probably the only way. Other than upgrading to some kind of mesh system. The mesh system might be safer because you house sounds like a death trap. I wouldn't want to pull cables or put holes the wall for the fear of getting asbestos  in the air. 

My dad thinks asbestos isn't real or harmful. Fucking psycho; yet he believes there are 'gods'. He wanted to get a builder DIY kind of guy that charges little to come over and take down the bathroom ceiling which is COVERED in mold. 

But I had an asbestos survey done which came back as all ceilings positive for asbestos. 

Many years ago I had to stand in my room with a vacuum cleaner with the hose while he drilled the holes I wanted in my ceiling for halogen down lights. This was way back before I even knew asbestos was a thing. I was like 16. I'm 30 now.

He has drilled various holes in the ceilings and as you can see from the image inside the closet, he couldn't care less about releasing asbestos into the air. 

When they kicked me out he still screwed a fire alarm into the ceiling downstairs and recently last year he installed a shower curtain by screwing into the ceiling directly with a screw and screwdriver.

They are dumb abusive Indian immigrants with no regards for health and safety. He doesn't drill holes into the ceiling now since I did the survey and lied to him and told him it's against UK law to disturb asbestos. So he fears being arrested. That's the only thing stopping him and even then he still continues to screw stuff into the ceilings. 

If I wasn't at home to witness it, he would for sure have the bathroom ceiling removed as he was planning to and would continue drilling holes.

The ceiling has to be removed with an airlock by an asbestos certified company with the right tools.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

40 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

What is AVR? Links please to products?

Auto Voltage Regulation. Basically if there are voltage fluctuations, it'll clean up the voltage to be in spec (and if it gets out of range, changes over to battery / sounds alarm).

This cyber power is pretty great, but I'm not sure what the UK model would be for your voltage:

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp850pfclcd/

Also, your dad needs to get up to date with asbestos. Stuff is dangerous to deal with. In the construction field we usually just tell clients we will have to have it professionally removed at their cost or we don't work there. It's very nasty stuff to breathe in. It's crazy how asbestos teams get suited up, monitor the amount of asbestos in air (too high, they have to leave), and the clean up procedure to leave the area. Heavy mold can do the same.

21 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Auto Voltage Regulation. Basically if there are voltage fluctuations, it'll clean up the voltage to be in spec (and if it gets out of range, changes over to battery / sounds alarm).

This cyber power is pretty great, but I'm not sure what the UK model would be for your voltage:

Also, your dad needs to get up to date with asbestos. Stuff is dangerous to deal with. In the construction field we usually just tell clients we will have to have it professionally removed at their cost or we don't work there. It's very nasty stuff to breathe in. It's crazy how asbestos teams get suited up, monitor the amount of asbestos in air (too high, they have to leave), and the clean up procedure to leave the area. Heavy mold can do the same.

My dad is ABUSIVE. He has bent my nose and jaw when my bones were developing when I was younger. And I have no proof he did it. They STILL abuse me. I document as much as I can for my YouTube channel which I hope to start soon. They don't physically abuse me anymore but now it's emotional abuse. He hasn't hit me since 2013 or 2014.

I have told him many times of the dangers of asbestos but each time I try to teach any of my parents (especially my stepmother) anything, they get angry. My dad who has diabetes and is 60 something says with anger 'what's the point in me learning. My time is up anyway'. 

MY stepmother goes psycho and becomes very very aggressive. VERY aggressive. Her own aggression makes her even angrier. They are both the same. 

She used to burn me with things, scratch my skin off, slap me very hard on my lips till my lips bled etc. 

If I bring up the topic of asbestos now I have a very high risk of them calling the police to kick me out and me being homeless again. This time they won't let me come back ever. 

It's a long story as to why I don't just leave. I would have and wanted to. I tried to. It's not so simple.

I spoke to the police over the phone about the asbestos situation and they just told me 'it's not a police matter'. I said what if someone were to poison someone? Would that be a police matter? They said yes it would.

So I asked why not DELIBERATE disruption of asbestos AFTER the offender has been informed that it is asbestos and is not to be touched? 
They said 'it is not a police matter'.

Crazy. Yet it is illegal in a business to disturb asbestos and not to have a contract with an asbestos management company.

But NOT in a domestic property.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Mesh sounds like a good idea. Any ideas what would be an upgrade over what I have? Dlink covr is cheaply priced which leads me to think it's not going to be very good. 

A single good router costs over £100 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 hour ago, grangervoldemort said:

Mesh sounds like a good idea. Any ideas what would be an upgrade over what I have? Dlink covr is cheaply priced which leads me to think it's not going to be very good. 

A single good router costs over £100 

The only mesh system I have kinda used is the Google one. My sister has it and it works well. But it's very dumbed down as far as set up and options go. Also is like $300 USD for the 3 pack. 

38 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The only mesh system I have kinda used is the Google one. My sister has it and it works well. But it's very dumbed down as far as set up and options go. Also is like $300 USD for the 3 pack. 

We don't use any special settings. 

I think I would only need 2.

But I need to test more. Right now the male abusive cunt is in the kitchen trying to fix the dishwasher. 

So later or tomorrow I will take my laptop and try it out in the kitchen multiples times throughout the day. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

On 2/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, scottyseng said:

Downside to using a cheap one for the router (bearing in mind it will only be the router that will be connected to the UPS) such as this one? - https://www.ebuyer.com/831473-cyberpower-line-interactive-ut-360-watt-650-va-tower-ups-ut650ei

If I get a mesh routers then both will need to have UPS's and if I spend £200 per UPS that's £400. I'm guessing battery replacements for UPS's are expensive too.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

9 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Downside to using a cheap one for the router (bearing in mind it will only be the router that will be connected to the UPS) such as this one? - https://www.ebuyer.com/831473-cyberpower-line-interactive-ut-360-watt-650-va-tower-ups-ut650ei

If I get a mesh routers then both will need to have UPS's and if I spend £200 per UPS that's £400. I'm guessing battery replacements for UPS's are expensive too.

That UPS unit does simulated stepped sine output when on battery, but should be fine for a router.

Yeah, this is pretty expensive for wifi coverage update. haha.

2 hours ago, scottyseng said:

That UPS unit does simulated stepped sine output when on battery, but should be fine for a router.

Yeah, this is pretty expensive for wifi coverage update. haha.

What is this simulated sine stuff? Is that the only downside? 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Hey anyone know why when someone turns the lights on in the kitchen downstairs, my speakers in my room make a little crackle sound? And what I can do to stop it happening? The kitchen is below me so I think the lights are on the same circuit as my rooms.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

On 2/28/2019 at 5:50 AM, grangervoldemort said:

What is this simulated sine stuff? Is that the only downside? 

Yeah, other than the small capacity.

The simulated sine means that when it's on battery, it makes stepped waveform when making AC power (UPS Units on battery convert AC to DC). The worst type is square, the best type is pure sine wave (smooth). Stepped sine should be fine enough for a router though.

As for why your speakers do that, my guess is poor wiring (Like no ground, so it's wired to neutral...or doesn't exist at all).

24 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

The simulated sine means that when it's on battery, it makes stepped waveform when making AC power (UPS Units on battery convert AC to DC). The worst type is square, the best type is pure sine wave (smooth). Stepped sine should be fine enough for a router though.

As for why your speakers do that, my guess is poor wiring (Like no ground, so it's wired to neutral...or doesn't exist at all).

The earth cables are there. Any ideas if it's possible that the earth cables aren't connected to earth? 

What do you mean by it's wired to neutral? 

Thanks

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 5:58 PM, scottyseng said:

Hello?!

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD