Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hdd113

Any desktop monitors with adaptive brightness?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I often work quite late into the night.

In my best effort to keep my biorhythm, I usually turn off the other lights in my room and only keep the display and the desk lamp, which is turned down to minimum brightness.

The problem is that my monitor still feels too bright at times, and I wish I could turn it down just a little more. I know I could just do it manually, but I wish there was a way to automate this.

Are there any manufacturers that make monitors that have a brightness sensor, or work with Windows adaptive brightness feature?


Microsoft Surface Book 2 13.5 - i7, GTX1050, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM - MAXED OUT

Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16 - i5, Quadro M600M, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM

And lots of vintage ThinkPads...

==================================================

Freelance Web Designer, Frontend Developer, Translator

Used to be a real heavy gamer, like, really heavy gamer. Not so much anymore...

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hdd113 said:

I often work quite late into the night.

In my best effort to keep my biorhythm, I usually turn off the other lights in my room and only keep the display and the desk lamp, which is turned down to minimum brightness.

The problem is that my monitor still feels too bright at times, and I wish I could turn it down just a little more. I know I could just do it manually, but I wish there was a way to automate this.

Are there any manufacturers that make monitors that have a brightness sensor, or work with Windows adaptive brightness feature?

 

Plenty of "Night Mode" programs exist where you can set times...

^Don't know of any offhand.

 

Semi-Automated work? - Like hotkeys between two options?

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gamma_panel.html

 

A Slider to manually set quickly on the fly?

http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/win10_brightnessslider.html

 

Or have a look here where I got these 2 examples from.
Maybe a Solution thats Automated Exists - https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortdate/monitor_screens.html


Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows 10 already has this feature, it is called Night Light.

You can turn it on or off from the Action Center, and configure it in the Settings panel (auto-turn on/off based on time of day, and adjust the intensity).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found in your sidebar

 

image.png.d346894311b6abf3e5a71d42e19ec318.png


Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

 

Spoiler

 †  

 

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

 

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

 

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

 

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

 

  CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Thanks guys for the reply.

 

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 already has this feature, it is called Night Light.

You can turn it on or off from the Action Center, and configure it in the Settings panel (auto-turn on/off based on time of day, and adjust the intensity).

 

I'm already using it, but it's still not dark enough in my situation... therefore I'm looking for a way to actually turn down the backlight

 

8 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

 

Plenty of "Night Mode" programs exist where you can set times...

^Don't know of any offhand.

 

Semi-Automated work? - Like hotkeys between two options?

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gamma_panel.html

 

A Slider to manually set quickly on the fly?

http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/win10_brightnessslider.html

 

Or have a look here where I got these 2 examples from.
Maybe a Solution thats Automated Exists - https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortdate/monitor_screens.html

Dell has a display manager which lets you quickly adjust the brightness and contrast with a slider on Windows, but I was just wondering if there was a more polished solution. I also use a Spyder calibrator with room light adjustment. It's just a display profile though and doesn't actually turn down the backlight, so it doesn't seem to help a lot in my situation.

 

10 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Found in your sidebar

 

image.png.d346894311b6abf3e5a71d42e19ec318.png

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work (the brightness) on desktop monitors; at least not on mine... :(

Edited by hdd113

Microsoft Surface Book 2 13.5 - i7, GTX1050, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM - MAXED OUT

Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16 - i5, Quadro M600M, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM

And lots of vintage ThinkPads...

==================================================

Freelance Web Designer, Frontend Developer, Translator

Used to be a real heavy gamer, like, really heavy gamer. Not so much anymore...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hdd113 said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on desktop monitors; at least not on mine... :(

That is weird as it works on my triple monitor setup. 

 

Wat monitors do you us and what connection? Hdmi, DP?


Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

 

Spoiler

 †  

 

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

 

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

 

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

 

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

 

  CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

That is weird as it works on my triple monitor setup. 

 

Wat monitors do you us and what connection? Hdmi, DP?

It's Dell U2718Q connected through DP.

Night light works, but the brightness works only on the laptop display.


Microsoft Surface Book 2 13.5 - i7, GTX1050, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM - MAXED OUT

Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16 - i5, Quadro M600M, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM

And lots of vintage ThinkPads...

==================================================

Freelance Web Designer, Frontend Developer, Translator

Used to be a real heavy gamer, like, really heavy gamer. Not so much anymore...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hdd113 said:

It's Dell U2718Q connected through DP.

Night light works, but the brightness works only on the laptop display.

That is correct. Brightness slider in Windows only works for laptop displays.

 

So from my understanding, your screen minimum brightness is too bright for you (not related to biorhythm). Sadly, there isn't much we can do. You can open your Nvidia Control Panel (or AMD, but not sure where it is), and you can play with some brightness/contract sliders (under "Adjust desktop color settings" in case of Nvidia graphics cards), but the backlight of the LCD panel will remain at the same brightness, you are just trying to block light passing by making the screen darker, but that is it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×