CPU fan full speed, please help

ATFink

Just upgraded my little brother's cpu in his alienware aurora today from a an i5 6400 to an i7 6700k.

Upon installation of the new CPU the computer did a few bootloops and works fine now, but the CPU fan is running full speed. Immediately on startup the fan just runs full blast. This isn't an overheating issue either (if MSI afterburner is to be believed). MSI afterburner says the CPU temperature jumps around between 22-27 degrees Celsius across all cores (probably low because of the full speed cpu fan and no load).

The computer is unusable it is so loud right now. I'd prefer to reinstall the stock fan speed software since it seems to not be working right now, but can any of y'all recomend good software to control the fan curve in case that doesn't work?

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

What cooler are you using and what fan header is it plugged into? Are you using default motherboard settings?

What do you mean by stock fan speed software? Are you currently using another program for fan control?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't know how to tag on mobile :P

Edited by ATFink
Forgot to tag you so message was useless

Save your bios config (if you want) and reset to optimized defaults to see if that helps, you may need to change hard drive functionality to ahci after the reset.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

23 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Save your bios config (if you want) and reset to optimized defaults to see if that helps, you may need to change hard drive functionality to ahci after the reset.

Changed from RAID to AHCI and problem remains. No need to save Bios config, the computer will not be overclocked.

The 6700k has higher base and boost clocks than the 6700 and costs the same used, so he chose the faster CPU.

33 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cooler are you using and what fan header is it plugged into? Are you using default motherboard settings?

What do you mean by stock fan speed software? Are you currently using another program for fan control?

Moved to Air Cooling.

I plugged the fan back into the correct header.

1472641798_2019-02-0818_59_26.thumb.jpg.1766afce0c56cc0d30669f18aae6c682.jpg

Intel stock heat sink, but it still shouldn't run full blast since the CPU is so cool.

Stock motherboard setting. I did not touch the Bios.

I assume there is software that came pre-installed on the machine to control CPU fan speed. That seems to not be working right now. There is no 3rd party software related to fan speed installed (except MSI afterburner, but I only used that to monitor cpu temperature).

Alright, things are getting strange now. I installed SpeedFan and it does not recognize any fans at all in this computer.

1112160438_2019-02-0819_27_24.thumb.jpg.08d6c28ce377f21c3bc566b2c106c17b.jpg

Maybe SpeedFan is not compatible with this Dell motherboard? I don't know.

OK, so from a forum on dell's website I read that the motherboards that ship with the i5 6400 and i7 6700k cpus have different microcode for fan control. The 6700k probably isn't a recognized cpu by the stock fan controller and sending full load to the CPU header to prevent overheat failure.

I did the most janky rig in the world to get it operating without full speed fans at all times. I unplugged all fans from the CPU fan header and plugged the CPU fan into the top mount case fan header. I then plugged the top mount case fan into the front mount case fan header. Now when the CPU hits 80 degrees Celsius (prime 95 test going right now) the top fan kicks on and helps pull heat away from the stock cpu cooler. After 15 minutes the highest maximum core temp was 83. ~35 at idle.

If anyone has a better solution I'm all ears.

On 2/9/2019 at 3:28 AM, ATFink said:

Maybe SpeedFan is not compatible with this Dell motherboard? I don't know.

Speedfan doesn't support newer chipsets overall.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:34 AM, ATFink said:

If anyone has a better solution I'm all ears.

There's paid software called Argus Monitor if you don't have any fan controls available in BIOS. You can also buy resistor to force fan to lower speed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Speedfan doesn't support newer chipsets overall.

There's paid software called Argus Monitor if you don't have any fan controls available in BIOS. You can also buy resistor to force fan to lower speed.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll check out Argus Monitor and keep it mind in case I need a solution in the future. A resistor makes since to slow it down, but won't adjust CPU fan speed by thermal load. Honestly a thermistor and a few MOSFETs could do the trick. I'd want to etch my own PCB and solder on the components in order for the solution to be less trashy. That's too much work since it's not my PC and my little brother wanted his computer back soon.

Unfortunately after discussing the issue with my little brother he said he'll probably just stick with the i5 6400 since the motherboard recognizes and supports the CPU. Fortunately for him he can send the CPU back by March 17th for a for refund since he bought through Amazon. Ironically this makes him want to stick with pre-builts more (since I couldn't fix the problem even though it was Dell's proprietary microcode that caused the issue in the first place).

On 2/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, ATFink said:

Just upgraded my little brother's cpu in his alienware aurora today from a an i5 6400 to an i7 6700k.

Upon installation of the new CPU the computer did a few bootloops and works fine now, but the CPU fan is running full speed. Immediately on startup the fan just runs full blast. This isn't an overheating issue either (if MSI afterburner is to be believed). MSI afterburner says the CPU temperature jumps around between 22-27 degrees Celsius across all cores (probably low because of the full speed cpu fan and no load).

The computer is unusable it is so loud right now. I'd prefer to reinstall the stock fan speed software since it seems to not be working right now, but can any of y'all recomend good software to control the fan curve in case that doesn't work?

Is it a 4 pin connector on the board?

did you reuse the fan and heatsink that was on the old chip.

Are you sure all 4 pins are connected in if its a 4 pin

3 hours ago, BB TECH said:

Is it a 4 pin connector on the board?

did you reuse the fan and heatsink that was on the old chip.

Are you sure all 4 pins are connected in if its a 4 pin

Yes, yes, and yes. I reseated the fan's 4 pin connector several times. Here is a better picture from earlier in the thread:

temp.jpg.42007058b3d418784d2935040ecc10d9.jpg

When I put the old 6400 back in the board the fan acted as it use to. That is, only throttling up as a response to the CPU getting hot.

1 hour ago, ATFink said:

Yes, yes, and yes. I reseated the fan's 4 pin connector several times. Here is a better picture from earlier in the thread:

temp.jpg.42007058b3d418784d2935040ecc10d9.jpg

When I put the old 6400 back in the board the fan acted as it use to. That is, only throttling up as a response to the CPU getting hot.

Hmm. Your mobo doesnt have some type of fan profiles for the cpu or something does it, i can only imagine the BIOS the oem board is pretty bare bones. The Board looks OEM.

It would be interesting to know what your idle temps are on your old core, and the idle temp on your new core. Maybe it is just a case of your core running hotter than the older one.

Did you also reapply your thermal compound on the new core?

7 hours ago, BB TECH said:

Hmm. Your mobo doesnt have some type of fan profiles for the cpu or something does it, i can only imagine the BIOS the oem board is pretty bare bones. The Board looks OEM.

It would be interesting to know what your idle temps are on your old core, and the idle temp on your new core. Maybe it is just a case of your core running hotter than the older one.

Did you also reapply your thermal compound on the new core?

It is an OEM motherboard, this is my little bother's Alienware Aurora r4 desktop. The BIOS is bare bones like a skeleton.

Idle temps on the old CPU core (i5 6400) were low to mid 30s. Idle temps on the new CPU core (i7 6700k) were mid to high 20s, but only because the CPU fan was blasted at 100% non-stop.

temp.png.07a9e5e079c1974d14a3498213372fe3.png

Yes, I did reapply thermal compound. Arctic silver MX5. About a pea size drop right in the center. No air bubble were trapped in the paste during application. Spread was good. I know this because I put the old CPU back in and when I removed the heatsink the thermal compound spread out across almost all of the IHS (except a razor thin section in both the top left and bottom left corners).

9 hours ago, ATFink said:

It is an OEM motherboard, this is my little bother's Alienware Aurora r4 desktop. The BIOS is bare bones like a skeleton.

Idle temps on the old CPU core (i5 6400) were low to mid 30s. Idle temps on the new CPU core (i7 6700k) were mid to high 20s, but only because the CPU fan was blasted at 100% non-stop.

temp.png.07a9e5e079c1974d14a3498213372fe3.png

Yes, I did reapply thermal compound. Arctic silver MX5. About a pea size drop right in the center. No air bubble were trapped in the paste during application. Spread was good. I know this because I put the old CPU back in and when I removed the heatsink the thermal compound spread out across almost all of the IHS (except a razor thin section in both the top left and bottom left corners).

And the Cpu is in the supported list for that unit?

2 hours ago, BB TECH said:

And the Cpu is in the supported list for that unit?

I assume not because the fan speed ramped to 100% immediately on boot and never dipped below 100% at any point. The computer operated perfectly fine if it weren't for the noise from the CPU fan. Windows, SpeedFan, and MSI afterburner recognized the CPU and listed it by name (6700k).

Where can you find lists of supported CPUs for OEM boards?

EDIT:

Apparently his desktop is an Alienware Aurora r5, not r4. Also, the version that ships with the 6700k has different CPU support than the one that ships with the 6400.

2 hours ago, ATFink said:

I assume not because the fan speed ramped to 100% immediately on boot and never dipped below 100% at any point. The computer operated perfectly fine if it weren't for the noise from the CPU fan. Windows, SpeedFan, and MSI afterburner recognized the CPU and listed it by name (6700k).

Where can you find lists of supported CPUs for OEM boards?

EDIT:

Apparently his desktop is an Alienware Aurora r5, not r4. Also, the version that ships with the 6700k has different CPU support than the one that ships with the 6400.

Usually the Datasheet for the motherboard, but in that case there should be a CPU list on dells website for the computer, if its a branded dell, go to the dell drivers page, type in the service tag, then you should get any manuals on the left, theres drivers, warranty etc.