Budget laptop around $400

I have a friend who needs a laptop around $400 (preferably that price or less). They don't mind going used and will be using it for schoolwork. So, possibly using an SSD. Thanks for all your help!

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

If the purpose of the laptop is primarily for typing up papers, presentations, spreadsheets, and the like, you cannot go wrong with a Chromebook. What does he plan to do with this laptop? Knowing that, I could make a recommendation for a Windows laptop. Does your friend have a preference in screen size and keyboard layout (numpad or no numpad)?

9 minutes ago, nelsonpong said:

If the purpose of the laptop is primarily for typing up papers, presentations, spreadsheets, and the like, you cannot go wrong with a Chromebook. What does he plan to do with this laptop? Knowing that, I could make a recommendation for a Windows laptop. Does your friend have a preference in screen size and keyboard layout (numpad or no numpad)?

they have no preference but according to their professor, they need a windows 7/8/10 laptop. Otherwise, I would recommend a Chromebook. He plans to use it to write papers and use Microsoft office tools.

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

For new, I hear Acer making a name for themselves as best seller laptops on Amazon. Those are the Aspire line of laptops, typically 15" and usually a Core i3 processor, sometimes i5. They do not include SSDs, but they typically support one M.2 SATA (not NVMe) SSD if your friend is willing to source that separately. You can even find Ryzen variants of the Aspire, which if your friend plans to play any games on the laptop, I would recommend for its better graphics.

I've never personally used any Acer laptops long enough to guarantee that it is what your friend is looking for, you can also try finding alternatives like Dell. But if your friend decides that the Acer is not the one, it can be returned on Amazon within a month for any reason. (just say it is broken so your friend doesn't have to pay shipping and restocking)

Edit: for just office, I don't see why a new Chromebook wouldn't suffice, but any crappy old laptop will do the job perfectly fine. It is just a matter of finding one with a good keyboard, and those are becoming rare in newer laptops. I think Mark has the right idea by recommending an old Thinkpad that is in reasonable condition, just slap a cheapo SSD from Inland in it and it will turn on in a snap.

Edit 2: looking up "thinkpad" on eBay pulls up multiple listings of Thinkpads for only $125. If you sort by price, you can even find some as low as $40 after shipping, but in much poorer condition. Since your friend wants an SSD, I could go for one that doesn't come with a hard drive and stick my own SSD in it for another $30. Use the rest of the money to deck it out with stickers.