Ultra Book Thermal Throttle

ivanteng880

Hi, I have an Asus zenbook UX430UN and it's thermal are not very impressive. Even when doing light office work such as Google and word doc the temp goes up to the mid-60s and with games running the temp can go up to the high 80s. And therefore it causes the GPU (Nvidia MX150 ) to throttle down to 900Mhz and cause my game to run like a slide show. And recently I learned about liquid metal, and I have seen people using them on their laptop and getting a massive thermal improvement. And I just have a few questions about liquid metal. 

1. Would the liquid metal damage to the copper contact plate for both GPU and CPU?

2. How long can liquid metal last before it needs to be replaced?

3. Is it safe to be used on nickel plated copper for my desktop (Ryzen 5 2600X and Cryorig H7)

8 minutes ago, ivanteng880 said:

1. Would the liquid metal damage to the copper contact plate for both GPU and CPU?

Over a long period of time (several years) yes.

Worth a read. At least a year is fine. Personally not a fan.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3359-liquid-metal-aging-one-year-test-how-often-to-replace-liquid-metal

3. Is it safe to be used on nickel plated copper for my desktop (Ryzen 5 2600X and Cryorig H7)

Why? Typically it is only used under the IHS.

13 minutes ago, ivanteng880 said:

Yes unless otherwise specified. Liquid metal usually contains gallium, a super easy to melt metal that gives liquid metal its liquid property. It unfortunately loves forming alloy with other metals, and copper isnt unreactive enough to resist.

13 minutes ago, ivanteng880 said:

At least a year, GN did a test for that and it seems good both in thermal test and visual inspection for more.

16 minutes ago, ivanteng880 said:

Using it on top of the IHS means it's prone to sipping out. Bad idea for daily system.

For laptops, just typical thermal paste is good enough. The stock paste is just excessively garbage.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

This is a problem for me too, using HP envy x360 13" ryzen 7. Any one has any cool suggestions? Like using a utility to not allow vpu/gpu to throttle a bit?

1 minute ago, Jazz Jackrabbit said:

This is a problem for me too, using HP envy x360 13" ryzen 7. Any one has any cool suggestions? Like using a utility to not allow vpu/gpu to throttle a bit?

Since they said liquid metal can damage bare copper, and it have a high risk of damage the PC if not careful, I think I'm just going to replace the stock thermal compound with thermal grizzly kryonout. I heard from other people that this is a very good thermal compound for both CPU and GPU

3 minutes ago, ivanteng880 said:

Since they said liquid metal can damage bare copper, and it have a high risk of damage the PC if not careful, I think I'm just going to replace the stock thermal compound with thermal grizzly kryonout. I heard from other people that this is a very good thermal compound for both CPU and GPU

Not often I get to say this, but it's a pretty good choice. If you are willing to wait 2-3 weeks thermal grizzly carbonaut is supposed to be coming out and is supposed to be non conductive and last indefinitely.

12 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Not often I get to say this, but it's a pretty good choice. If you are willing to wait 2-3 weeks thermal grizzly carbonaut is supposed to be coming out and is supposed to be non conductive and last indefinitely.

Yeah I heard that carbonaut is almost as good as conducanaut but the problem with carbonaut is a thermal pad and not a paste. This is going to be pretty good for desktop cpu because it’s just the right size for each cpu, but for laptop, especially ultrabook it’s not going to be a good fit. 

2 hours ago, ivanteng880 said:

Yeah I heard that carbonaut is almost as good as conducanaut but the problem with carbonaut is a thermal pad and not a paste. This is going to be pretty good for desktop cpu because it’s just the right size for each cpu, but for laptop, especially ultrabook it’s not going to be a good fit. 

It is a carbon based tim. It is actually aimed more towards the notebook and gpu market. It will be similar to ic graphite except thicker, which will work better in lower mounting pressure environments. That being said it benefits from mounting pressure. 

It is not a thermal pad.

Der8auer is using it in his personal x1 carbon for testing if you listen to the interview btw.

2 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

It is a carbon based tim. It is actually aimed more towards the notebook and gpu market. It will be similar to ic graphite except thicker, which will work better in lower mounting pressure environments. That being said it benefits from mounting pressure. 

It is not a thermal pad.

Oh, I just talked to asus rep, and they said taking opening the laptop to upgrade ram, hard drive and spraying compressed air to clean the laptop is ok, but if you want to replace the thermal compound to get better thermals, you'll have to say goodbye to your warranty

1 hour ago, ivanteng880 said:

Oh, I just talked to asus rep, and they said taking opening the laptop to upgrade ram, hard drive and spraying compressed air to clean the laptop is ok, but if you want to replace the thermal compound to get better thermals, you'll have to say goodbye to your warranty

I would definitely follow the advice of the rep in your area. While there are consumer protection laws, there is nothing stopping them from saying any damage done to the system was caused by you. Realistically even though in most areas a warrantee void if remove sticker is unenforceable once it is broken you are at the mercy of the manufacturer. It would cost more to prove it wasn't your fault than it would be to replace the item in most cases. If the warrantee is something you actually value I would preferably not break the seal, but if I do I am not going to go against the advice of the local rep.