Decent build for 2000 US dollars

Greetings.

Here's to hoping that the tech wizards of the LTT forums can help me out.

Looking to buy my first PC. Before now, the only things I had was a laptop that was oh so adaptly named 'the Airplane' by my friend who has an 'EPIC' gaming setup. (And I mean Epic, with a capital 3, for three monitors.) and currently a Surface Pro 2017/18 (Not the Pro 6).

Why? Well, as previously stated before, my current laptop is about five or six years out of date. Takes half an hour to start up, and won't even turn on if there is a USB device connected (A very interesting bug that took some time to discover.)

With only  minor knowledge of PC building, i turned to LTT for help. Coincidentally, that same day, LTT released their buyer guide on which companies sold the best Pre-build custom PC's

So, here we go.

I would like to buy from Digital Storm or Maingear (Digital Storm being the first choice.)

Usability-Mostly games, and browsin' the web, but I do tend to have ten or more MS Word docs open at the same time when I do writing.

Gaming-Playing games like Space ENgineers, and such, but I would like to be able to play VR games as well. Also, any tips on hooking up to an Xbox One would be appreciated as well.)

Budget-$2,000-$2,500 US dollars (Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard not included in price.)

Time to buy-I'm not in any rush, need to save up, will probably wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday for the sales and such.

Case Size (So it will fit in my desk cabinet. Anything larger and it will have to go on top of my desk, or underneath it.)

Length(Depth)-21 inches

Width-10 inches

Height-20 inches

(Personally, I was looking at the Lumos, from Digital Storm.)

Others- I do not have a dedicated wired connection to my room, so the PC would be running off the internet wirelessly. If its possible, a reasonable router and modem might as well be added to the pack. (Priced separately  plz.)

So, i think thats it. I hope that one of you will be able to help me. first gaming PC, should be awesome.

Lightning

I would do something like this. PcPartPicker does not support the stores you mentioned, but maybe you can use this as a guide if they have similar prices.

11 minutes ago, LightningwingDragon said:

Oops, realized i posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry.

A mod will eventually move the thread (maybe :D)

EDIT: I went on Digital Storm website... They sell prebuilts. The "Lumos" prebuilt is a 460X Corsair case, and their pricing is bad. The build I made you costs over $3,000 dollar in their configurator.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

17 minutes ago, Nocte said:

I would do something like this. PcPartPicker does not support the stores you mentioned, but maybe you can use this as a guide if they have similar prices.

A mod will eventually move the thread (maybe :D)

EDIT: I went on Digital Storm website... They sell prebuilts. The "Lumos" prebuilt is a 460X Corsair case, and their pricing is bad. The build I made you costs over $3,000 dollar in their configurator.

Thank you. I was thinking of building it myself, accept i have absolutely no idea how to do so. I wouldnt want to take the risks. Is buying prebuilt more expensive than buying individual parts? (Seems like that to me.)

30 minutes ago, LightningwingDragon said:

Time to buy-I'm not in any rush, need to save up, will probably wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday for the sales and such.

Can't make any mobo/CPU/GPU suggestions then since Ryzen 3000 and Navi come out in June.

I advise you wait until you have the money ready before asking for a list since what we say now will likely be outdated by late November.

Here's a sample list now, but again, I highly advise you do ask for an updated list when you're ready to buy:

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

4 minutes ago, LightningwingDragon said:

I was thinking of building it myself, accept i have absolutely no idea how to do so. I wouldnt want to take the risks. Is buying prebuilt more expensive than buying individual parts? (Seems like that to me.)

Yes. They are definitely more expensive. Linus just made a bunch of videos about going undercover and buying prebuilt rigs though LTTs accountant (that didn't know anything about computers). The buying experience was very mixed with a range from absolutely terrible garbage+ experience to pretty decent with good customer support.

If your friend (the one with the nice computer you talked about) is willing to help you build the PC you should definitely build it yourself. Just make sure he/she doesn't become your personal tech support or they'll hate you. Since you said it'll be a while before you build there is a ton of time for you to learn if you're interested. Just look up some videos on YouTube, they are everywhere.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

1 hour ago, ATFink said:

Yes. They are definitely more expensive. Linus just made a bunch of videos about going undercover and buying prebuilt rigs though LTTs accountant (that didn't know anything about computers). The buying experience was very mixed with a range from absolutely terrible garbage+ experience to pretty decent with good customer support.

If your friend (the one with the nice computer you talked about) is willing to help you build the PC you should definitely build it yourself. Just make sure he/she doesn't become your personal tech support or they'll hate you. Since you said it'll be a while before you build there is a ton of time for you to learn if you're interested. Just look up some videos on YouTube, they are everywhere.

I saw the vids, hilarous.