Would this GPU work for my needs?

Context: I've got an old HP Pavilion Slimline desktop and want to run my new 3440x1440 monitor in full resolution on it for basic stuff like web surfing and word processing, no gaming or video editing or anything like that. To do this, I need to upgrade the GPU and it looks like the only GPU that will actually fit in this chassis and is compatible with the motherboard is a GT 630 (Kepler) 2GB ram (with HDMI). The motherboard is an HP ipsb-ch2 (Chicago).

I've done some research and I think the GT 630 will work. But since I'm new at this, I thought it wise to double check with people who actually know what they're doing.

This is the one in particular I'm looking at since it's the only one I've seen that actually looks like it'll fit in the slim case I have: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VG-PCU63-002-299-2N249-X01A8-NVIDIA-GT630-2/163363260129?hash=item26093586e1:g:Ku8AAOSw5bxcJYJR:rk:7:pf:0#shpCntId (Shipping to Canada is outrageous, so I'd have it shipped to a mate of mine in the states and have him send it to me)

Questions
1) Would this even work?

2) Do I need an HP-specific GT 630? Or will any GT 630 2GB do?
3) Is HDMI enough, or would I need DP? (been searching on ebay for a used card and none of them specify which version of HDMI the card has)
4) Is this even worth it? I'm looking at $50-$80 CAD for this card. Am I crazy for spending that amount trying to wring a little bit more life out of this machine from 2011?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

The GT 630 isn't the only compatible graphics card. You could get a GT 730 that supports higher resolutions across the board.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The GT 630 isn't the only compatible graphics card. You could get a GT 730 that supports higher resolutions across the board.

I was looking at http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_IPISB-CH2_(Chicago)/1627/Compatible_GPUs and didn't see the GT 730 listed as one of the compatible options. I'm also trying to keep costs to a minimum and am dealing with a serious size constraint due to the slimline case. Plus, I don't plan on going to a higher resolution monitor any time soon since I just got my current monitor a few weeks ago. So I think a GT 730 would be overkill for my needs.

2 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I was looking at http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_IPISB-CH2_(Chicago)/1627/Compatible_GPUs and didn't see the GT 730 listed as one of the compatible options. I'm also trying to keep costs to a minimum and am dealing with a serious size constraint due to the slimline case. Plus, I don't plan on going to a higher resolution monitor any time soon since I just got my current monitor a few weeks ago. So I think a GT 730 would be overkill for my needs.

Thanks for the link, had no idea it was using AGP.

Hopefully there's a GT 630 Kepler revision that uses that standard, or you're SOL. I do believe the GT 730 does not use that standard in any of its versions.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Thanks for the link, had no idea it was using AGP.

Hopefully there's a GT 630 Kepler revision that uses that standard, or you're SOL. I do believe the GT 730 does not use that standard, but it has PCIe x1 versions in case you could find a way to make that work.

I think I might be SOL regardless. Was checking out GT 630 specs over at

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-630/specifications

and noticed the 300W minimum. Just checked my power supply and it says max 270W. So I think that kills it right there. I don't think it's worth it if I have to upgrade the power supply and the GPU.

Although, the GT 630 you liked is a PCIe GPU while the product page of the motherboard uses a picture of an AGP graphics card. If PCIe works then you should be able to use any PCIe graphics card such as the GT 730. Also, it would definitely fit in your case.

Primary PC:

Just now, YellowJersey said:

300W minimum

Nah that's a suggestion. Actually you'll be fine off like 150 watts with that as your GPU.

Primary PC:

18 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Although, the GT 630 you liked is a PCIe GPU while the product page of the motherboard uses a picture of an AGP graphics card. If PCIe works then you should be able to use any PCIe graphics card such as the GT 730. Also, it would definitely fit in your case.

What do you think about this one? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Zotac-GeForce-GT-730-2GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-HDMI-DVI-With-original-box/153331044059?hash=item23b33e0edb:g:uxAAAOSw1T1cO-44:rk:5:pf:0

I'm still concerned about the size as my current GPU only has DVI and HDMI and that takes up pretty much the whole available space at the back.

Here's a picture of the back of the case for size reference. I'm concerned that there isn't enough room for something with vga, dvi, and hdmi when the existing gpu doesn't leave much room after the dvi and hdmi 

IMG_20190122_151200.jpg

16 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

What do you think about this one? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Zotac-GeForce-GT-730-2GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-HDMI-DVI-With-original-box/153331044059?hash=item23b33e0edb:g:uxAAAOSw1T1cO-44:rk:5:pf:0

I'm still concerned about the size as my current GPU only has DVI and HDMI and that takes up pretty much the whole available space at the back.

See how the port at the top is on a ribbon cable? That's because it can be moved out of the way and the back plate can be removed so that it becomes small form factor to fit inside your case. This is the design for the majority of GT 730 graphics cards.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

See how the port at the top is on a ribbon cable? That's because it can be moved out of the way and the back plate can be removed so that it becomes small form factor to fit inside your case. This is the design for the majority of GT 730 graphics cards.

Oohhh, i see. Cool. 

I just checked the motherboard specs and it has a pcie 2.0 slot that's x16. 

I've got a few more questions, but i need to get going to work. I'll be back a little later in the evening 

@YellowJersey I think what you are looking for are half height graphics cards. I remember there are GT1030s with half height brackets. Maybe you can try those?

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

18 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

From what I can tell, anything above a GT 600 line isn't supported.

And the plot thickens! I was about to give up when a friend offered to give me an old 800W power supply!

8 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

From what I can tell, anything above a GT 600 line isn't supported.

And the plot thickens! I was about to give up when a friend offered to give me an old 800W power supply!

There are some 10 series cards listed on the mobo spec link you posted.  The motherboard has PCIe x 16.  It should work with the cards I posted.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

3 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

There are some 10 series cards listed on the mobo spec link you posted.  The motherboard has PCIe x 16.  It should work with the cards I posted.

Ah, yes. You're right.

Currently looking at a GTX 660. Would such a card be sure to support Legacy Bios? Also, I'm finding some where the seller says the resolution is 2560x1600 when nvidia says it should be much higher than that. What's up with that?