m.2 ssd/sata storage

ralphandmike

i have a ga ax370m-gaming3 board. the thing is it has a m.2 slot. i was wondering since documentation isn't exactly very good what types of ssd/sata i can use in the slot and what is the best brand to use. i am going to do a hybrid setup for gaming and will be using the ryzen7 1800x and the max memory possible 2666 mhz 64 gigs of ddr4 memory.

2 minutes ago, ralphandmike said:

i have a ga ax370m-gaming3 board. the thing is it has a m.2 slot. i was wondering since documentation isn't exactly very good what types of ssd/sata i can use in the slot and what is the best brand to use. i am going to do a hybrid setup for gaming and will be using the ryzen7 1800x and the max memory possible 2666 mhz 64 gigs of ddr4 memory.

Does your board have a manual?

What is your budget for storage?

Why did you include the details about RAM?

you can use Nvme or sata 6 drives (B+M), typically, in a m.2 slot. Since you are using a 1800X, you should have enough pci-e lanes, even with a x16 slot populated

yeah it does have one but ive never done ssd before so i am new to that whole craze. ive been using regular hard drives for years. i have some support lists for it from the site. i also have watched some vids form ltt about ssd but i am still not quite sure about that whole thing.

Your motherboard manual here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370M-Gaming-3-rev-1x#support-manual

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4 (Note)/x2 SSD support) 

Your board support both SATA and NVME M.2 SSD

There are a lot of Youtube videos show you how to install M.2 SSD onto desktop motherboard. It is pretty easy. You just line it with the connector, push it a gently to make sure it is all the way in,  push it down gently, then secure it with the provided screw. Make sure the label of the SSD is facing out not facing in. 

2 minutes ago, ralphandmike said:

yeah it does have one but ive never done ssd before so i am new to that whole craze. ive been using regular hard drives for years.

Samsung, Crucial, and Western Digital (you probably have a WD HDD). make the best stuff as of now. ADATA provides some good budget stuff, both regular SSDs and M.2 SSDs.

The WD Black M.2 NVMe and the Samsung 970 EVO/PRO are the fastest M.2 NVMe drives right now. 

Samsung and Crucial both offer their flagship SATA III 2.5" SSDs, the Crucial MX500 and the Samsung 860 EVO. They both perform about the same capping out at the maximum speeds that SATA lets them go.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

OK. that wasn't what i was worried about so much. installing shouldn't be too bad just compatibility and what brands are good is my main concern at this time. its a current build in progress.