Adding a fan to an optiplex 990

Spawnofglory

I've moved everything into a new case. I would like to add a fan but it seems like it only has a 5pin non standard fan connector on the board and no other in sight other than the four pin rear fan and the cpu cooler. I'd like to add a fan my question is can I just order any old 5pin fan and expect it to work or would a fan header be my best option? 

2 minutes ago, Spawnofglory said:

I've moved everything into a new case. I would like to add a fan but it seems like it only has a 5pin non standard fan connector on the board and no other in sight other than the four pin rear fan and the cpu cooler. I'd like to add a fan my question is can I just order any old 5pin fan and expect it to work or would a fan header be my best option? 

wait, correct me if i'm wrong, but you do have a 4 pin header on it?

why not get a splitter?

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

why not get a splitter?

This, or you could figure out how to splice the existing connector into your fan using the attached image I got from https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/780-CPU-fan-pin-out/td-p/6175786(they have the same pins, but one thing on the optiplex one is flipped around so don't plug a regular fan into it or it could damage the fan)

DELLFANWIRES.png

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

You can get SATA/molex to fan connector adapters. You can also get resistor so that you don't have to run it at full speed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/16/2019 at 3:13 PM, Spawnofglory said:

5-pin fans of the variety you're staring at are proprietary to Dell. I'm guessing you have the mini-tower, but even if you don't, I don't think there are any four-pin fan headers on that board, just the Dell 5-pin headers.

You could splice things, which is time consuming, or you could use a SATA to fan connector straight off the PSU, which is loud af. Or, you could buy one of these, place it in the rear fan header's slot (I prefer not to piggyback anything off the CPU fan header), plug in your second fan and go.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.