North American International Auto Show Highlights

naias-logo.jpg

Over 600 electricians spent 3 months planning and wiring up the COBO Center in Detroit in preparation for the 2014 NAIAS. Here`s a time lapse of the construction:

The NAIAS (also known as the Detroit Auto Show) is an annual event where, similar to CES, manufacturers come together and show off their latest and greatest concept cars and soon-to-be production cars (also ironically it starts right after CES ends). Now I know this isn't tech to the same degree that LTTF embraces, but I've encountered a few automotive fans (to varying degrees of enthusiasm) here and thought that they, or anyone who just wants to see what their favourite manufacturers are up to, would appreciate this thread. It should be noted that I am not actually at the show myself; I am writing this from the comfort of my university study lounge because I obviously put my time to it's best possible use. 

So, instead of having to read through pages upon pages of show coverage from various sources, I've decided to do some reading for y'all and merge it all into one thread for your convenience. Of course, this auto show is a multi-day affair and the manufacturers all have their own press schedules, so I'll be attempting to cover each day's unveilings to the best of my abilities. Apologies in advance if I miss the unveiling of a certain model; my sources include various AP websites but the main one being Jalopnik. Below you will find links to each days' coverage as well as a short write up of the vehicles being presented, and an even shorter summary of what was covered that day. The days' models will be arranged in alphabetical order so is to make your browsing easier. Also if you are bothered by my incorrect use of units (it bothers me as well but I'm way too tired to convert all the numbers) you'll just have to deal with it for the time being. Also, it takes quite a bit of time to upload my typed content and format all the pictures in so bear with me if these posts take a while. I know that the LTTF member population is more skewed towards the younger end of the spectrum, but for those of us old enough to enjoy and drive cars I hope you get some use out of this resource. If you can't be bothered to read the text, I've included images in the hope that you get some enjoyment out of this. :)

Let me know what you think of this year's automotive reveal! Do you like the cars? Is there a specific brand you prefer? What would you like to see revealed at this years show? Or, if you don't care at all and want this forum to stay a tech forum, leave that comment down below (it's perfectly fine, I won't be hurt by it at all). 

Warning: this thread is image heavy, but I have tried my best to include reasonably sized images so as not to kill your bandwidth. There is a video archive at the end of the thread for those who want to watch videos instead of read text; sourced mainly from EvoTV, Auto Express, and FastLaneCar.

-Day ONE Highlights-

Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, GMC, Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Nissan, Porsche, SRT, Toyota, Volvo, VW

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1362540

-Day TWO Highlights-

Acura, Cadillac, Destino, Infiniti, Lexus, Subaru, Volvo

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1368524

-Day THREE Highlights-

Audi, BMW, Honda, Ford, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Toyota, Porsche

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1374911

-DAY FOUR + FIVE Highlights-

Acura

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1386738 

Video Archive

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1386738

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1386819

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1386828

The Detroit Auto Show wasn't the only car-gasm inducing event this week; Tokyo Auto salon was running simultaneously, and while it focused more on the aftermarket tuning aspect of car culture as opposed to the OEM side, there were still a lot of interesting displays from the likes of Top Secret, HKS, Greddy, Trust, RocketBunny/BenSopra, Liberty Walk, and many many more. To spare you from yet another few long posts that you probably won't read, I'll include a highlight of one of thee cars I really liked and then direct you to the SpeedHunters coverage where you can find more. As people are celebrating the possible rebirth of the Supra a la FT-1, it's never a bad time to reminisce in the legacy that the old Supra left behind. One of the most famous examples being the V12 powered Century Supra out of Top Secret, iconic gold-paint job and all. (the Century does have a body kit in case you're wondering why it doesn't look like a traditional Supra).

TAS-2014-022-800x533.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/01/forget-form-lets-concentrate-function/

-EXTRA-

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101900-north-american-international-auto-show-highlights/?p=1394143

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Audi Allroad Shooting Brake Concept

After the Nanuk and the Sport Quattro, you’d think Audi would smarten up and actually give us a concept that would go into production. Have they done it this time? Sort of. The Allroad Shooting Brake concept “combines the core values of TT, quattro, and allroad” and is the basis of the upcoming Audi TT. Apparently based on how the presentation went this concept sounds as if it is nearly identical to the upcoming Audi TT, which is good I guess. One of the most talked about things is the digital dashboard, which we saw at CES 2014, which is a good thing. Confirmed so far is a hybrid powertrain that is rated for 402hp and 480 lb-ft. of torque via front and rear mounted electric motors. Audi has already confirmed that they will be releasing a Q3 SUV, which is basically a smaller Q5, but when asked about a potential Q1 no statement was made.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

BMW M235i

BMW has gone mad with it’s current naming schemes. First off there was only a 3- and a 5- series to worry about. Something happened to the 8-series and the 7-series stagnated for a while. Then we got the 6-series which was a 5-series with 2 doors removed, and BMW thought they should do the same with it’s other cars. So they took the 3-series and removed 2 doors, to make the 4-series (as counter intuitive as that is) and the 1-series got the same treatment. So here’s how the BMW landscape looks: 1-series (4 doors), 2-series (2 doors), 3-series (4 doors), 4-series (2 doors), 5-series (4 doors), 6-series (2 doors), and so on and so forth. Don’t even get me started on the availability of “gran coupe” versions of the sedans because it’s utterly pointless. Anyways, there’s a new M235i out and it’s coming to North America.

With the M3 and M4 releases out of the way, BMW finally attended to giving ///M versions to it’s other models. We used to have the M135i but that is now the M235i for whatever reasons, I can’t figure out. Anywho, Americans apparently really liked the compact sports car so now we have even better small compact sports cars. Power comes from a 3.0L straight six (BMW is famed for these) that is rated for 326hp and features both supercharging and direct fuel injection. A six-speed manual is standard but you can get it with an automatic with paddle shifters.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Chevrolet C7 Z06

Good news America, General Motors has finally used its common sense and given us a maniacal, yellow monster of a car! If you weren’t already convinced that the C7 Stingray was a good car to start with, then now is the time to change your mind. The Z06 will come in three models with each getting varying levels of performance and aero goodies (the priciest one being the Z07). The philosophy was always to take the previous gen’s highest performing car and trickle those attributes down to the next Z06, and that is what they have done. The C7 Z06 is 60% stiffer than the C6 ZR1 yet features the same suspension and tires. The engine is an all new, supercharged LT4 V8 featuring variable valve timing and cylinder shutoff, which should be good for economy. Power is right up there with the best of the best, with numbers of 625hp and 635 lb-ft. of torques. If you already couldn’t tell, the Z06 also has a bunch of aero to aid its performance and yes, they are all functional. Two transmission options are available: a seven speed manual and an eight speed automatic (though it’s not a ZF box so don’t know how good it will be).

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Chevrolet C7-R

Sticking with Chevrolet, we finally have a car that enthusiasts have been waiting to see for quite a long time, and finally we don’t have to look at camo’d up teaser cars. Alongside the Z06 reveal is the reveal of the GT-spec C7-R, which in essence picks up where the already competitive C6-R left off, and makes many improvements. First off, the car has been updated to meet the new TUSCC guidelines; that means everything from chassis design and safety to power output and efficiency. The C7-R is set to debut at the first official TUSCC race in a few weeks, where it will battle it out with GT3/GTE spec cars (Porsche 011, SRT Viper GTSR, BMW Z4). The C7-R features a tuned 5.5L V8 based on the base LT4 Stingray platform, and was developed alongside the C7 Z06 (which should be obvious given the aero). Also expect it to return to European endurance racing such as Le Mans, where we will get to witness the classic Aston Martin-Corvette duel, among my personal all-time favourite rivalries.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Chrysler 200

Is it just me or does it look like Chrysler just asked Dodge for a Dart and then just hit the “enlarge” button on a photocopier? Anyways, the new 200 will feature a 3.6L V6 rated for 295hp, mated to a nine-speed (yes you heard right, nine) transmission with standard all-wheel drive. The alternative powertrain is a 2.4L engine with FWD standard. For once, the 200 is actually a car that you’d want to own (which should be expected eventually, especially with what they did to the 300 over the years). Four models should be available for purchase: LX, Limited, 200S, and 200C. Price is to start at $22K and top out at $26K.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Ford F150

I’m not much of a truck guy so I don’t know why I put this on the list, but it’s next alphabetically so I guess I’ll write a bit for it. Ford’s been on the ball this year with new releases and updates, with the obvious ones being the new Mustang. However, the F-150 light truck platform has also seen its share of new goodies. Parden me Ford, but this truck looks massive but I guess you make up for it if it really is less massive in the weight department. Although not similar to their Atlas concept that everybody loved, the new F150 does have EcoBoost available to it (alongside the current V6 and V8 in the outgoing F150); stronger steel and more aluminum has been used in the chassis (total of 700lbs of weight savings). Much like the Mustang, the F150 gets a lot of toys as well; parking cameras, remote power tailgate, 400W outlets, an 8” infotainment center, etc. The F150 will be available in XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, FX4, and King Ranch trim levels.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

GMC Canyon

Uhg. Again? Oh well, it’s next on the list so here we go (I believe it’s the last one). The Colorado is supposedly going to be a huge contender in this segment of the truck market, and it apparently takes some cues from the Sierra. Much like any other truck, it comes in multiple different cab styles and the interior apparently got a leather and faux-carbon fibre treatment. Also noted is that the Canyon features a touch infotainment system… and other stuff I can’t be bothered to write about.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Hyundai Genesis

Ever think to yourself that the current offerings from Hyundai didn’t look bad enough already? Well think that no longer! The updated styling for 2015 has been unveiled and unsurprisingly, it looks worse! I really have nothing much more to say about Hyundai’s “Fluidic Design 2.0” so…

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge

The Q50 has been around for a while now, but there are some people who claim that this “performance” sedan just doesn’t get their adrenaline going. Fear not, Infiniti has heard your pleas and has hinted that if they build this vaporware “Eau Rouge” spec Q50, it will surely have over 500hp and 600 lb-ft. of torque at its disposal. As a subsidiary of Nissan, and with credentials like being partnered with RedBullRacing, I don’t doubt that they could be capable of this feat. They have not specified what engine will be put into the Q50ER, but they have a huge variety to choose from; all that we do know is that it will be a “v-cylinder engine” whatever that means. Also, excuse me Infinity; I know your parent company is Nissan, but why does it look like you just stole stuff off of the R35 GTR? Don’t get me wrong, back in the day when people were putting R34 GTR parts on the Nissan Stagea it was awesome but now… wait no, it’d be awesome if they actually did it with the Q50. Please make it happen. EDIT: GOOD NEWS! The Q50 Eau Rouge has been ordered into production! Final numbers are still pretty sketchy, but the "at least" 500 hp has been confirmed and Infiniti's mission objective of being Japan's luxury brand lives on! I still want one really badly. 

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Kia GT4 Stinger Concept

Exciting news from Kia, which is surprising because nothing exciting usually comes from them. In short, this is the Toyobaru fighter you’ve always wanted (Mazda’s Miata never really hit the mark and Alfa Romeo’s 4C missed it completely). Think of it as the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, but Kia-ized… if that makes sense. The GT4 Stinger Concept is powered by a 2.0L turbocharged inline 4 cylinder, rated for 315hp and mated to a six speed manual transmission that sends all the power to the rear. If they can price this 2+2 competitively against the GT86/BRZ/FRS, then I think we have a real winner here. Kia emphasizes that this will be coming to the public domain very, very soon. (Also it’s named Stinger and is yellow because honey bees are yellow and have stingers. I kid you not)

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Mercedes is at it again, with another styling update to their current line of offerings; though for the C-Class, it goes beyond just aesthetical changes. Yes, the C-Class looks like an S-Class that went through a photocopier on the “shrink” setting, but it is also 220 lbs lighter than the outgoing mode, making it officially the lightest car in its segment. Lots of aluminum was used in this chassis in key areas such as the fenders, hood, trunk, and roof. The base (C180) weighs in at 2,888 lbs, down from 3,108 lbs in the outgoing C108. However, these are European spec models so expect North America-bound cars to be a tad heavier (because of the stricter safety regulations and whatnot). For reference, the competitors are still heavier than the new C-Class; both the BMW 3-series and Cadillac ATS are 3,300 lbs and up whilst the Audi A4 and Infiniti Q50 are 3,500 lbs and up.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Mini John Cooper Works Concept

The upcoming Minis haven’t been that impressive if I’m honest with you… they took away the center speedometer which was always important for a Mini and after that, I just kind of lost interest. But oh well, there’s a new John Cooper Works version now and hopefully it won’t be an utterly disappointing and overpriced model like the last one. As a car that slowly grew from the tiny car it once was to an utterly massive car that was nearly the size of a VW Golf, the performance hasn’t seen as significant of an improvement. Now however, a 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder (co-designed by BMW) is available and is rated for 189hp and 207 lb-ft. of torque (for the Cooper S; no Works spec engine was announced).

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Nissan Sports Sedan Concept

With the R35 going EOL and with the announcement of the IDx and BladeGlider concepts, I guess it would be a challenge for Nissan to top themselves at the next international auto show. Have they done it? Kind of. Both the Maxima and Altima lines have staggered, and similar to Datsun as a whole, Nissan needed to do something about it. So now we have the new Sports Sedan Concept. This will probably be the next sedan Nissan releases, as they’ve hinted at it for a while. It clearly takes design cues from the BladeGlider and I think it looks pretty handsome. If it uses the engine out of the Juke-R (as amazing as it is), I think it would be a great sell. Though, the blacked out pillars that were first only associated with the GTR are now being incorporated into nearly every new model and it’s getting kind of old.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Porsche 911 Targa

Yup, Porsche is bringing back the Targa style to its 911s (type 991); that’s great and all, but when are you going to give us a 991 GT3RS. Anywho, this Targa uses a super trick automatic roof that is different from the sliding glass used in previous 911s (type 997). The new system is fully automatic and features a metallic accent hoop which pays homage to various historical 911s, or something. Looks like the Targa will only be for the C4 and C4S trim levels, but no word on if it is final or not.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

SRT Viper

Most of you have already come across the new SRT Viper, and despite the QC issues and the fact that it hasn’t performed as well as we might have expected, not much has changed to date. If you came here looking for a new Viper to suddenly emerge… no dice. SRT has instead only announced a new colour; “Stryker Green” which obviously pays homage to “Snakeskin Green” of Vipers past. Still, it looks quite “stryking” to be honest; SRT really hit the nail on the head with the styling.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Toyota FT-1

Ever since Nissan revived the GTR, the entire world wondered when the other JDM icons would finally make a return. Honda hinted at the NSX replacement for a long time, but nearly a decade has passed and we still don’t have a VTEC dragon. The only real JDM challenger to come out after the GTR was of course the LFA, but that was priced stupidly high and was selling at a loss. Of course, Lexus is owned by Toyota so think of the LFA as a scouting party, what up Starcraft reference. Toyota has even hinted that it will be revealing a new sports car very soon, what with the partnership with Subaru to bring the GT86/BRZ to market and the announcement with BMW to use their inline 6 engines for “future sports cars” (RIP 2JZ).  The time has come, and the FT-1 looks promising (though there is no mention of whether or not this will be commercially available in the future).

First off, FT-1 is an abbreviation for Future Toyota…. 1. The project started 20 months ago as a collaboration between Toyota’s CALTY design studio and none other than Polyphony Digital, the studio known for its renowned success with the Gran Turismo series and the design of the R35’s UI. Much like Nissan’s CEO, Toyota’s CEO also has a broad history of racing expertise and wanted a new sports car flagship to unleash onto the world. The FT1 takes obvious design cues from past Toyotas such as the legendary Celicas and Supras of days past, whilst featuring design cues from the LFA and 12C (P1) among others. You can also see in-house inspiration from Toyota’s past F1 cars (before they dropped out) as well as their WEC-spec TS030 race car. The exterior was designed as if the car was sculpted by air, and that’s where Polyphony comes in; Toyota used their GT5 concept to aid in the overall design of the car, which incorporated a 3D virtual design alongside a 1:1 size clay model and … it worked (GT6 was not finished at the time, so that’s why Polyphony used GT5 instead).

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Volvo Concept XC Coupe

Volvo hasn’t really given us anything new recently, and Polestar has yet to impress us the same way that ///M or AMG have, but I guess this is something… right? The XC90 that this concept resembles will be available with a T6 Drive-E engine rated for close to 400hp, which should be good I guess. The orange parts make it go faster, obviously.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

VW Beetle Dune Concept

Ever think the Beetle looked a bit childish, even after the new Porsche-inspired update? Me too. This might change your mind though. Inspired (maybe) by the Baja Bug, this car looks like it could obviously handle whatever off-roading you throw at it. And the good news is that it might be heading to showrooms in the future. For some reason, VW claims 23 mpg city and 29 mpg highway, with a 0-60mph time of 7.5 seconds. Power comes from VW’s 208hp turbocharged engine mated to a DSG transmission with an electric differential, ‘cause you need that when you’re going offroad.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

VW Passat BlueMotion

If you’ve ever been concerned about hurting the environment and wanting to drive a boring car but didn’t want a Prius, then the VW BlueMotion line has always been the next best choice. Without any electric assistance or diesel power, BlueMotion has been capable of 42 MPG which is impressive. Powered by a 1.4L four-cylinder engine rated for 150hp, this car also features cylinder de-activation which isn’t common for this sort of platform. The BlueMotion screams efficiency and low resistance, as seen in the 7 speed DSG transmission that will coast whenever power isn’t needed.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

VW CrossBlue Concept

Those of you who followed the show last year will recognize this one. Yes, VW is once again fielding their CrossBlue Concept which is a seven passenger SUV targeted at the United States. It relies primarily on a 190hp diesel engine, but also features two electric motors (54hp in the front and 114hp in the rear); total output is supposedly 516 lb-ft. of torque. Key is 2016. Personally, I think VW is missing out on a huge opportunity; instead of giving us another SUV, just give us a modern Microbus. I still see a lot of them around where I live, and it’d be awesome if they brought it back (there is a cult following afterall).

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I absolutely hate the new 200. The Toyota FT-1, C7.R, and the ZO6 have been the best looking car from news articles on Jalopnik

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

gotta go fast

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

That is quite a lot of text mate <3 but very well put together :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

the corvette looks baller as hell <3 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

the corvette looks baller as hell <3 

Agreed though I still prefer Japanese :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I love the FT1 and the Kia Stinger. I really hope the Kia makes a name for itself with this car forcing Toyota and Subaru to give the FRS/BRZ a bump in power. I'm not saying I want 400+ HP out of a FRS at a stock config (that would be awesome) but at least 300HP and a nice turbo.

I'm trying to justify buying a FRS with its current specs considering that it only has a little over 70 more HP than my daily driver. That increase in HP would make the decision a no-brainer

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Most of the big stuff was covered in day one, so the next few days of content is just "tying up loose strings." Audi has a few more offerings a la A8 among other things, so look for that in the next bit. Here we go...

Acura TLX

Acura is at it again, though this new TLX is merely a prototype… for now. The design inspiration behind this one was to create a “red carpet athlete” with a “vault-like experience” …whatever that means… No performance numbers were released but you can pick from a 2.4L four-cylinder with VTEC (AWH YEAAAAAH) mated to an 8 speed dual clutch transmission or a 3.5L V6 mated to a 9 speed transmission (both available in a current Acura). Power figures are 250ish and 350ish respectively. Acura’s AWD system (aka P-AWS) has also apparently seen a 25% reduction in weight, which is a good thing.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Cadillac ATS Coupe

Cadillac is really pushing to get into the luxury car market in the same way that Lexus and Infiniti are trying to do; but so far, the American hasn’t gotten as far as it was hoping to. The ATS Coupe hopes to change that; a very different approach than their CTS line and with very minimal influence from their El Mirage concept, the ATS offers potential buyers a distinct yet still very subtle sports car. The base engine is a 2.0L turbo four-cylinder but buyers can shell out for a 3.6L V6; a six speed manual; is available for both, as well as magnetic ride control for superb handling. Expect a V variant to come in the next few quarters but keep this in mind; “Premium cars charge premium prices for premium substance.” Rumours are that the V will get a twin-turbo V6 rated for 425 hp (good enough to take on the new BMW ///M cars) mated to either of the current C7 transmissions.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Destino

For those of you who don’t know, Fisker (the company that made the Karma) turned belly-up when they declared bankruptcy a while back. Their assets have been changing hands time and time again, and I can’t even remember who has ownership of the company and it’s production assets anymore. But that doesn’t matter; what matters is that Bob Lutz, a powerful member of the automotive community (GM IIRC) purchased up a bunch of Karma’s that weren’t destroyed, tore out their weird hybrid stuff and stuffed in a good ol’ V8 because ‘muricuh. Oh, and he changed the bumpers so it would look more curvy and stuff, and the is offering it to customers under the name of Destino. The price? IIRC the same as you would pay for a regular Karma. Don’t worry though, if you already own a Karma and want the treatment all you have to do is pay for another Karma and you’re good to go. The company is “VL Automotive” and the engines they stuff into the Karmas are the LS9s. VLA has been hoping for Fisker to restructure, but with the company dissolving and it’s assets being sold off it doesn’t look like that is happening any time soon. I have no clue what is happening with these anymore, but what the NAIAS did reveal is that there is a distribution network for these vehicles via a partnership with Liberty Motors in the UAE (United Arab Emirates for those who don’t know). Wonder what happens if something goes wrong in the projected 4-5 years of Destino ownership? Fear not, Lutz says the thing is basically a Corvette.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge

Nothing new here, and most of the stuff I covered was mentioned yesterday. I just really love the Q50ER and think it has an amazing paint job, one that starts as a silver basecoat and is finished with nearly 20 different tints of clearcoat. I want one, please make it Infiniti. Enjoy.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Lexus RC-F Coupe

Last generation’s Lexus IS-F was aiming straight for the BMW M3 E92; both were gigantic, mega-powerful performance cars with atomic bombs powering them in the form of V8s and rear wheel drive. Times have changed and going forward, one of these two giants has decided to ditch the V8 and go for a downsized turbocharged engine; of course, it wasn’t Lexus. No no no, unlike the new M4 which has a turbocharged six cylinder, the new Lexus RC-F retains it’s Japanese V8 mega-bomb. As a continuation of the Lexus RC Concept, this Japanese luxury sedan is still aiming to compete with the best of the best in the global hoonigan marketplace. The new engine is the most powerful that has ever come out of Lexus; a 5.0L V8 with “at least” 450hp and 383 lb.-ft. of torque, sent to the rear via a semi-manual gearbox and aided by active aero derived from the LF-A. No performance numbers were given but Lexus has implied that the RC-F is as fast if not faster than the M4 and maybe the Shelby Cobra. All we know now is 0mph-100mph-0mph in 14.5 seconds.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Subaru WRX STi

Yes yes yes, it`s finally here. The STi variant of the once-again facelifted MY15 WRX, and dear gosh does it look amazing. With the racing-spec STi being unveiled at Tokyo Auto Salon and the road car being unveiled at NAIAS, all that’s left is to unveil the WRC spec STi and the Subaru Trifecta will be complete. Anywho I’m rambling, here’s the important stuff. The STi gets everything the WRX gets but add in a huge rear wing and sexy hood scoop. The Launch Edition is limited to 1,000 units and is the only SKU of MY15 STis that will get World Rally Blue Mica as a paint option and gold BBS alloy wheels. Other goodies include interior accents, short-throw shifters, updated power moonroof, and all-out wacky goodness. The powertrain is the expected 2.5L turbocharged boxer-four rated for 305hp and mated to a six-speed manual with six-way DCCD. Good stuff in this one, do want.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

Volvo V60

Volvo wagons have a long history of being great and fun and stuff. That’s all changing for Volvo moving forward; if you took note of yesterday’s SUV with it’s curves and whatnot, then it should not surprise you to see the V60 undergo the same treatment. The new V60 T5 will be the first time Volvo brings it’s family of Drive-E turbocharged four cylinders vehicles to North America; the T5 is rated for 240hp, which is less than the old five-cylinder T5 but it is also lighter. The new T5 has an economy of 37 mph highway and 29 combined, which is 7 mph less highway efficiency than the old T5. Also announced is the T6 which finds a home in the XC60, and is rated for 302hp at an efficiency of 30mpg highway. Not bad for diesels.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

News has been pretty slow lately, so I thought I'd throw in a few things from other outlets. A few of the cars below are from Road and Track; thinking of maybe summing up EvoTV's video series at the end of the week but who knows.

Audi A8

Audi’s entire A lineup got refreshes, and the 8 was due for one; well guess what, we finally got it, and it looks pretty handsome. Pictured below is the S8 because I like power, and what’s important is that these new models (like many others at the show) are 2015 models. What has changed exactly? New LED headlamp designs, body panels, rear elements and new wheels. Five powertrains are available: TFSI Quattro, TDI Quattro, hybrid, W12, and S8 (the first four apply to the A8). The 4.0L TFSI engine is rated for 435 hp whereas the S8 has 520hp and the W12 gets a respectable 500hp, with cylinder deactivation. Interesting to see how the updated full size premium market plays out with today’s economies; your move, S-class and 7-series.

S8a-sm.jpg

S8back-sm.jpg

S8d-sm.jpg

Audi Q3

Imagine a Q5, but copied at 75% and you get the Q3. Add a few minor styling tweaks and send it over to North America for 2015. Job done. Expect this to go up against the X1 and GLA.

_F9R5954_FLAT-sm.jpg

_F9R5933_FLAT-sm.jpg

BMW M3 / M4

Rumour has it that these new ///M cars require a lot more talent to drive than the old ones. Only time will tell if this changes the landscape of performance cars and mainstream buyers or not, but it’s still nice to see these cars thriving despite the stupid naming scheme and changes to more efficient powertrains. Supposedly this new generation of ///M 3-series (and 4-series) is going to be at most 200 lbs lighter than the outgoing E9x cars. As for the turbo chargers for the new straight six-cylinder engine, they’re smaller than the turbos in the 1 series M Coupe believe it or not. These cars were heavily revealed at other events, so I won’t get too much into them.

IMG_7980-sm.jpg

IMG_8018-sm.jpg

IMG_8025-sm.jpg

IMG_8007-sm.jpg

2015_BMW_M4A-sm.jpg

2015_BMW_M4I-sm.jpg

2015_BMW_M4B-sm.jpg

2015_BMW_M4K-sm.jpg

Honda Fit

The Fit was always a hit ever since it arrived from across the pond. The new Fit gets a 1.5L iVTEC rated for 130hp and 114 lb.-ft of torque, mated to a CVT automatic that is spec’d to get 36 mpg. Weight has also been reduced by 57 lbs and has been stiffened, which overall should improve handling. Not bad; Honda’s kept the already successful formula, so that’s a good thing.

IMG_0820-sm.jpg

IMG_0831-sm.jpg

IMG_0861-sm.jpg

Ford Mustang

This particular car has been discussed enough times on LTTF previously so I won’t get into any of that. However, being at NAIAS has given the public a close up view of what lives beyond that pretty exterior of a shell. The new Mustang features the 5.0L “Coyote” V8 that is speculated to have at least 400hp, and will be offered alongside the traditional V6 and Ford EcoBoost turbocharged four. Note the inclusion of a sound tube, maybe taking a few notes from Maserati’s MC Stradale maybe?

19cn5zu10ksj6jpg.jpg

19cn5zu1108dijpg.jpg

Mazda MX5 Test Mule

This may be considered cheating as it’s a) not an actual car you can buy nor is it a reveal B) not even located on the show floor, but I think it’s a pretty important one. The 2016 MX5 is rumoured to be 220 lbs lighter than the current 2014 model and for a cheap, affordable sports car, that’s a big deal. Weight has always been an advantage that the MX5 has in addition to size, and Mazda has some exciting stuff in the works other than the SkyActive-D program.

2016_Miata_Prototype_MuleA-lg.jpg

2016_Miata_Prototype_MuleC-sm.jpg

Mercedes-Benz S660

Looks like all the other models in the S-class lineup post facelift. Just expect moar powar and moar goodies in this one.

13C1105_01-md.jpg

13C1105_04-sm.jpg

13C1105_07-sm.jpg

Nissan IDx Concept

Alright, although this IDx thing was originally unveiled in Geneva (there are actually two versions, the FreeFlow and the Nismo), Nissan finally announced that it will be putting the concept into production. Although not the direct reincarnation of the S-chassis that all us Nissan fanboys had been hoping for, the revival of a rear-drive Datsun 510 is equally as nice. Just like the GT4 Stinger concept, the IDx concept could be shooting to make for a competitive Toyobaru fighter. No word on whether Nissan plans to make both variants (a road and track model respectively) but we know for sure that at least one will come to real life. 2016 is the key. Powertrain is a speculated 2.0L four cylinder engine, most likely turbocharged like everything else at the NAIAS. Now all Nissan needs to do is give a refresh to the Z-series. Edit: Good news! The IDx concept in some iteration has been confirmed for production!

19cmbd9k9v1t5jpg.jpg

Toyota FT-1

Yes yes yes, this car was originally revealed on Monday but it is now available digitally via GT6. So if you have GT6 (like I do) I suggest you download the car and give it a spin in your free time (which unfortunately I do not have). If anyone could potentially speculate about real world performance, it’d be the car modellers over at Polyphony. Reports say that the digital variant appears to be turbocharged, which given the current state of automotive innovation, isn’t surprising.

Porsche 918 Spyder

No news on this one, it’s just on display in its own little hidey-hole. Enjoy.

19cnhpsrulllujpg.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

Decided to merge the last two days because not much has been happening; most of the cars (the interesting ones at least) have been unveiled and follow-up info has been added to the various models that apply. The missing post is totally not because I fell asleep from exhaustion (damn this work-study schedule) if that’s what you’re thinking (jk it is). Anywho, I’ve decided to include a summary of videos that were posted for those who don’t want to read. There probably won’t be any further posts since they’re public days and the remaining show time is for public exhibition. I’d like to take this time to thank those of you who have taken the time to read this thread, as boring as it may have been.

Acura TLX GT

This is really the only reveal after the barrage that was the first few days. It’s not even that much of a reveal, just more info. Like what Lexus did with the RCF, Honda first unveiled the TLX and then rolled out their info on the racing variant. Honda/Acura has been competitive in the GT racing scene, and the new Acura Motorsports product hopes to retain that; the new TLX GT will go up against the likes of the Audi R8 LMS, Cadillac CTS-V, Chevy Corvette, SRT Viper, Lamborghini Gallardo, Merc-Benz SLS, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911, and Ferrari 458 in the Pirelli World Challenge Championship. The TLX GT features a HPD chassis with regulation aero parts; power comes from a twin-turbo V6 from HPD, developed from the production TLX’s NA unit. Power is sent to all four wheels via SH-AWD.

1_531391.jpg

VIDEO ARCHIVE (ALL DAYS)

Acura TLX

Audi Allroad Shooting Brake

Audi A8 / S8

BMW M3 + M4

Cadillac ATS Coupe

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Chrysler 200

Ford Mustang + F150

GMC Canyon

Honda Fit

Folding@Home | BOINC

Hyundai Genesis

Infinity Q50 Eau Rouge

Lexus RC-F

Kia GT4 Stinger

Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Mercedes-Benz GLA45 AMG

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Mini John Cooper Works Concept

Nissan Sports Sedan Concept

Porsche 911 Targa + Macan

Folding@Home | BOINC

Subaru WRX STi

Toyota FT-1

[/YOUTUBE]

Volkswagen Beetle Dune concept

Volkswagen Golf R + e-Golf

Volvo XC Coupe (XC90)

Note to self: search up the maximum embedded video limit per post because archives are very inefficient this way lol. But if you want to know, the number is 10.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Again, another show ran the same week as the Detroit Auto show and while there was not the massive aftermarket turnout or the huge showing of OEM factory stuff, it’s still pretty interesting if you’re into small, fun cars (especially ones that are British, for all you fans out there). With every manufacturer going crazy trying to capitalize on the recent BRZ / GT86 craze, those being the Kia GT4 Stinger and Nissan IDx, it’s not surprising to see the already-existing manufacturers giving their lineup a slight update. Below you will find some of the highlights courtesy of the fellow car nuts over at SpeedHunters. If you’re interested, you should really check out the Tokyo Auto Salon coverage as well (linked in the first post). Again, these are not so much family sedans or luxury cars, but ones that are performance oriented for those speed-junkies out there and those who just want to have a bit of fun. Competition is high in this segment, so if you’re going to buy one you better choose wisely.

Caterham AeroSeven Concept

If you’ve ever looked into low volume, RWD production cars with significant performance, you may have come across the name Caterham a few times. Their iconic Superlights have caught the track-oriented market segment by storm, and it’s not hard to see why when the base chassis is a derivation of the legendary Lotus Seven stuff. The AeroSeven is being launched as a new generation of Caterham cars, and the visible influence from recent Lotus concepts can be seen here with the low body dimensions and roofless shenanigans. Caterham does have a Formula 1 team (though they have been underperforming and may have caused one or two… or a lot of racing incidents over the course of a few seasons) and that has allowed them to jointly develop a carbon fibre structure for the AeroSeven. Power comes from a Ford Duratec engine (naturally aspirated, 2.0L) that is found in many other similarly light track cars. Expect power figures around the 400hp mark with 0-60mph sprint times of under 4.0 seconds. The transmission is a traditional six-speed manual but breaking away from tradition, Caterham will include traction and launch control programs for that extra bit of fun. Also derived from their F1 experience is the push-rod front suspension and independent rear suspension, both featuring double wishbones setups.

ASI_2014-248-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-241-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-246-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-245-1200x800.jpg

Noble M400

Though this isn’t OEM to the extent you’d expect, it’s still impressive what people can do with old cars. Noble is a name well known to the lightweight, British car scene; their M400 sports car had a long run, and the successor (the M600) is without a doubt world-class in terms of performance, often regarded as a modernized Ferrari F40, which is quite an impressive distinction. Power comes from the same 3.0L twin-turbo V6 that came in the original M400, but this one is rated for 620 hp (up from 352hp). The body (being plastic and stuff) weighs in at just 1050kg. The M400 is without a doubt a track oriented car, and the interior of most modified examples reflect that very well.

ASI_2014-5-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-10-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-22-1200x800.jpg

TVR Speed Twelve

Again, this isn’t a car you can buy now. But with NAIAS harping back to nostalgic cars like the Supra, and TAS focusing on relatively old stuff as well, it’s not unusual to see the same happen at other shows. Those of you who really like the madness of Russian cars (or play Gran Turismo a lot) will recognize this car in a heartbeat. Yes, this is one of the maddest TVRs you can ever buy; the Speed Twelve (of which there is only one example apparently, did not know that) was supposed to be TVR’s answer to the McLaren F1 and Jaguar XJ220. Unlike the other two, the Speed Twelve unfortunately never saw the light of day that is mass production as it was killed off just before it was finished; in essence, think Bugatti and the Veyron. Disappointingly, this is not a genuine Speed 12; it is however a genuine TVR Cerbera with a lot of custom work, including the fitment of an Aston Martin 7.7L twin-turbo V12 (supposedly thee one found in the flagship One-77) rated for over 1,000 hp (more than a genuine Speed Twelve). The car is currently serving demo purposes, and no word has been made of whether it will go racing or not. I hope it does.

ASI_2014-100-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-90-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-103-1200x800.jpg

Zenos E10

Zenos is a relatively new brand, and the E10 will be the first product they bring to market. The founders however aren’t exactly what you would call newbies though; the co-founders were the previous CEO and COO at Caterham, and were acquaintances since the time they both worked at Lotus (before Caterham). It’s assumed that people looking for affordable sports cars are only going to look up to a certain price, and the folks at Zenos have crafted thee E10 to a specific cost number (believed to be reasonable for the consumer and reflective of the quality). The chassis comes from a recycled carbon-fibre structure, giving 70% of the strength of regular carbon but at significantly reduced cost. As far as how everything is mounted, think of it as a Ducatti where thee chassis is literally the backbone and everything attaches to that. Weight is around 650kg, which is pretty damn light suspension-wise, it’s similar to the AeroSeven presented above. Power comes from a 2.0L, four-cylinder engine rated for 200hp sent of course to the rear wheels; 0-60mph sprint time is around 4.5 seconds. It’s a unique approach that’s for sure, but only time will tell if this is a performer, especially against the likes of BAC, KTM, Caterham, Radical, Lotus, and many others. The price? BRZ/GT86 money, unsurprisingly.

ASI_2014-304-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-295-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-292-1200x800.jpg

ASI_2014-293-1200x800.jpg

The other cars of interest were GT3 racing cars, which I won’t get into. Feel free to look into it yourself though. J

Folding@Home | BOINC