The iPhone XR sold better than the iPhone X in its first month

DrMacintosh
6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I was more talking about Apple overall, and not necessarily in specific products on the market. 

Though the iPhone X was innovative in its OLED screen curving tech where the display actually folds over onto itself, allowing for thin bezels and no other phone has that tech if I’m not mistaken. As for the latest models, the X/R/s/Max added smart HDR for photo and video which is industry leading, though idk if it counts as innovative....but it’s an S year, not really the time where all the innovating takes place. 

Well yeah, I get that it's the incremental upgrade turn now after the redesign, however don't most other manufacturers do it the same way?
There was the S8 which was a redesigned S7, now there's an S9 which is the same as the S8 but slightly improved (same case as with the X -> XS) but the S10 will be another redesign (if you can call using as much front space as possible for the screen a redesign). The next iPhone will probably look a bit different too...

By the way, I'm not sure that the OLED screen tech was that innovative since Samsung had the S8/S8+ out on the market already for at least 7 months that used OLED displays and had slightly better screen-to-body ratio than the iPhone X...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

By the way, I'm not sure that the OLED screen tech was that innovative since Samsung had the S8/S8+ out on the market already for at least 7 months that used OLED displays and had slightly better screen-to-body ratio than the iPhone X...

Samsung has opted for the chin and forehead which allows the display to connect to the logic board without any crazy tech. In iPhone X and Xs/Max, the display physically curves under itself so the bezel is consistent around the entire body. 

2960F31D-EA83-45AF-B0C6-DD3FE672197D.jpeg.d692ac3cb1188f118ca9e2654aecd10c.jpeg

Apple is the first to implement this in a smartphone as far as I know. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 hours ago, suits said:

No I wouldn't, because one plus followed Apple and got rid of the head phone jack, which I use for hours every single day. There are those of us who are musicians by profession and blue tooth is just so horrible sounding comparatively, not to mention other problems with it

I embrace the dongle because it has internal impedance lower than 1 ohm which I need to drive my BA drivers IEM

On 12/31/2018 at 4:15 AM, PirateHashNinja said:

The Iphone XR is the only thing that kept me from switching to an android device this year. Can't say I'm as wowed by this one as my past iphones, but the difference in processor performance from my 6s plus is enough that I'm not regretting the purchase. The much better battery life is a big bonus too. Still feeling doubtful that I'll be buying another iphone in the future if they keep trying to push their phones into the 1k range.

I agree, as much as I love the new Apple devices (Just got the new watch - so pleased), it’s just pushing out of my budget unless I get a contract, which I never do.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:15 PM, PirateHashNinja said:

The Iphone XR is the only thing that kept me from switching to an android device this year. Can't say I'm as wowed by this one as my past iphones, but the difference in processor performance from my 6s plus is enough that I'm not regretting the purchase. The much better battery life is a big bonus too. Still feeling doubtful that I'll be buying another iphone in the future if they keep trying to push their phones into the 1k range.

I think iPhone XR is perfect for people who just needs a phone that work. 

Most people dont care too much about screen quality. They care about a great camera and battery life and XR checks the box.

People who whine about the specs are literally keyboard warriors who would never buy iPhone in the first place and would only buy oneplus because apparently even s9 is overpriced 

29 minutes ago, xtroria said:

I think iPhone XR is perfect for people who just needs a phone that work.

*An iPhone that works

There are plenty of phones out there retailing for less for people who just want a phone that does the basics, regardless of platform. But for those who specifically want an iPhone and want something either with the current design or something from the current generation lineup but don't want to pay up the sheer nose for one, then the XR does appeal to these types.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

*An iPhone that works

There are plenty of phones out there retailing for less for people who just want a phone that does the basics, regardless of platform. But for those who specifically want an iPhone and want something either with the current design or something from the current generation lineup but don't want to pay up the sheer nose for one, then the XR does appeal to these types.

I mean samsung for sure will just replace your phone with another phone to use when it’s broken under warranty, right?

Just now, xtroria said:

I mean samsung for sure will just replace your phone with another phone to use when it’s broken under warranty, right?

In my case, they actually did.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Not entirely relevant to the thread topic itself but relevant to the Xr, I used a display model at an Apple Store and was floored at how the screen was. The resolution was perfectly acceptable, to tell you the truth.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

52 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

The resolution was perfectly acceptable, to tell you the truth.

R e T I N a  I s  J u S t  M a R K e t T i N g

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

56 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Not entirely relevant to the thread topic itself but relevant to the Xr, I used a display model at an Apple Store and was floored at how the screen was. The resolution was perfectly acceptable, to tell you the truth.

Don't be fooled by the Unboxed Therapy tech noob. The screen is actually higher resolution than, and the same PPI as the iPhone 8/8+. It's perfectly fine, and is capable of running 4K video just fine. The stated problem of not running 1080p YouTube videos is not from Apple's side of things, but a mistake on Google. 

43 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Don't be fooled by the Unboxed Therapy tech noob. The screen is actually higher resolution than, and the same PPI as the iPhone 8/8+. It's perfectly fine, and is capable of running 4K video just fine. The stated problem of not running 1080p YouTube videos is not from Apple's side of things, but a mistake on Google. 

Not sure where you're getting specs but the iPhone 8+ PPI is 426, at 5.5" is still better than 326PPI at 6.1".

Can't blame Google though for making a display that isn't true 1080p on a flagship priced phone.  And as people shouldn't be fooled by everyone passing off the screen as being "perfect" because there are people that can actually tell the difference, I could see a difference comparing the XR in person with text and video content. The XR screen is "fine" but for $800 it should have the pixel density of the iPhone X.

49 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

R e T I N a  I s  J u S t  M a R K e t T i N g

L i q u i d   R e t i n a

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

The XR is screen is "fine" but for $800 it should have the pixel density of the iPhone X.

Why should a $750 phone have the same screen quality as a $1000 phone? 

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why should a $750 phone have the same screen quality as a $1000 phone? 

Because the $1K model is the same...but with more storage+RAM? Because that's actually uite typical. The more expensive a model, the higher the margins generally speaking.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Because the $1K model is the same...but with more storage+RAM?

Except it’s not?

26 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not sure where you're getting specs but the iPhone 8+ PPI is 426, at 5.5" is still better than 326PPI at 6.1".

Can't blame Google though for making a display that isn't true 1080p on a flagship priced phone.  And as people shouldn't be fooled by everyone passing off the screen as being "perfect" because there are people that can actually tell the difference, I could see a difference comparing the XR in person with text and video content. The XR screen is "fine" but for $800 it should have the pixel density of the iPhone X.

L i q u i d   R e t i n a

The inbuilt Video app plays 4k just fine. You aren't going to notice the difference between 326 and 401 PPI anyway. 

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

The inbuilt Video app plays 4k just fine. You aren't going to notice the difference between 326 and 401 PPI anyway. 

That depends on the viewing distance. 

You won't notice much of a difference at the usual viewing distance but if you actually use your phone really close to your face (yeah, I know some of ya), you can actually see a bit of a difference. 

5 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

To be brutally honest, if I stop thinking about how it's not 1080p, it's fine for daily use. I wouldn't say it's the greatest display ever, but it's also not the worst. Very far from it in fact It's usable and not hot garbage. 

But I still think it should be 1080p-ish, if only just to make it less odd especially for its price. 

5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

That depends on the viewing distance. 

You won't notice much of a difference at the usual viewing distance but if you actually use your phone really close to your face (yeah, I know some of ya), you can actually see a bit of a difference. 

I know the old Apple saying that's not how you are supposed to use it etc blah blah, but its right in this case. You shouldn't put any screen that close.

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I know the old Apple saying that's not how you are supposed to use it etc blah blah, but its right in this case. You shouldn't put any screen that close.

Some people are odd

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

Some people are odd

We're talking less than 1 foot, I heard T-Rex went extinct but maybe not. 

6 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Some people are odd

Some people also need a week of battery life and don't use the internet. It doesn't mean that they're an important enough demographic to bother catering to.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Some people also need a week of battery life and don't use the internet. It doesn't mean that they're an important enough demographic to bother catering to.

Likely too small to even consider catering for in the grand scheme of things 

23 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Likely too small to even consider catering for in the grand scheme of things 

There will always be compromises. You cant cater to everyone.

28 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

There will always be compromises. You cant cater to everyone.

Exactly. Hence the existence of market research and statistics